User Tag List

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Hello, so let me start off by saying I live in a really small town and it's really hard to find employment unless your in construction/waitress/grocery store clerk. So i have found a job that is appealing to me at a rental car shop. Now I have had to do two fifty minute interviews on the phone fine asked about 100 questions. They said everything is amazing now I have to send two government id photocopied as well as a document asking for them to check my credit, financial institutions and criminal record. Now I have no problem with the criminal record check nut the fact that they would like to know how many credit cards I have or what I have in debt is a little bit of an invasion of my privacy. I do have school debt under 5000 but I have a few things in collection(2) that are going through court because of a gym membership in which the contract ended and they kept charging my credit cards. I wonder what they will say about my credit? As it's not fair people need jobs to make payments.

Now my question is is this too much for a two dollar over minimum wage job?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live”. Mark Twain.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I think that credit checks are common in some industries; I would definitely expect to have to do a credit check if I was applying to work at a bank, for example. For a car rental dealer? I guess as you'd be handling customers' credit card information that maybe that's why they're asking for it. I would probably let them do it if it was me, but I would definitely want to know why they wanted the information in the first place and wouldn't agree unless they provided me a valid reason (maybe you need to be bondable? I don't know....).

I am also wondering about the process that they go through to do the credit check... is it like the criminal record one, where you do it yourself, bring it in and get reimbursed for the costs incurred? If so, I would personally be more comfortable with it as you would know what they are seeing in the file as opposed to having it done behind your back. It strikes me that whether you consent or not, employers would technically have all the data they need to run one - they get your SIN, date of birth, and home address and that's all they need.

It's up to you, but I'd at least ask them why before going ahead with it....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They probably want to make sure you don't have a history of yahoo'ing bills, that's all.

I've heard of companies asking for facebook account passwords. I think there outta be a limit on what they can ask for. I owe very little, my credit card paid off every month, I have no criminal record, yet I am probably still the worst worker anyone could ever hire.... Ever! EVER!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I'm thinking they want a record check bc you will be dealing with ppls credit cards, when I worked at TD they did credit checks before I started. I'm not sure though if its normal for car rental places t o do credit checks... Maybe ask why they need one just for clarification purposes

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I understand for bank jobs. But if my criminal record is clear no stealing credit cards etc then because I owe money should that affect my getting a job? They do it behind my back I don't see anything so I have now ay of knowing what they are judging me based on. I personally think its unfair that if someone has bad credit or debt that they should not get a job where they could make money to pay back that debt otherwise it accumulates.

I want to know if having debt has ever affected someone from not getting a job?
    “Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live”. Mark Twain.

Thread Information