User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By KrazE
  • 1 Post By KrazE

Thread: Single moms I need some advice

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

My niece and her hubby are splitting. She's so afraid she will not be able to make it on her own with her son and daughter. Ladies what are your best tips? (besides coupons) Is there stuff she needs to apply for? She already gets the Child tax benefit and Universal tax credit (until her daughter turns 6. she is 3 right now)
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Does she work full time? If so she will be just fine

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Make sure that you let her know how important it is for her to send in the change in marital status form in the 30 or 60 days (I forget which, but it's on the website) to the government. This will increase her benefits as they will remove her spouse's income from the picture.

~~Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk~~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

she works two part-time jobs. combined she makes just under $450 a week. any ideas what she might get once hubby income not included? Somebody told me she might also get something called GST rebate (think it's called something else now) she never hasn't gotten this before bcs hubby made too much.
    Last edited by nytedrmr; Mon, Oct 1st, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

She can go right to the cra site & use the calculator there, it's pretty accurate.

When she mails the form (do not mail before the deadline listed) they will recalculate it & backdate it to the date of separation.

I was a single Mom of 4 working a fulltime day job, and parttime evening job; it can be done.

lilo0003 and Shwa Girl like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Child support for 2 kids if her hubby makes $60,000 a year is roughly $1200 a month plus at least 50% of any babysitting, clubs,sports,needed with proper receipts, till out of school,18-24 if they stay at home in college 24 if not 18. Plus any alimony, this may be garnished from his wages, if he doesn't pay, by a court order.
    I think she will be just fine as long as she doesn't buy a $500,000 home.
    Last edited by lms1979; Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
    My price, Free! TM

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    She can go right to the cra site & use the calculator there, it's pretty accurate.

When she mails the form (do not mail before the deadline listed) they will recalculate it & backdate it to the date of separation.

I was a single Mom of 4 working a fulltime day job, and parttime evening job; it can be done.

Good advice.
    Wow. How were you able to do this with two jobs?
    Inspiring.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lms1979 View Post
    Child support for 2 kids if her hubby makes $60,000 a year is roughly $1200 a month plus at least 50% of any babysitting, clubs,sports,needed with proper receipts, till out of school,18-24 if they stay at home in college 24 if not 18. Plus any alimony, this may be garnished from his wages, if he doesn't pay, by a court order.
    I think she will be just fine as long as she doesn't buy a $500,000 home.
    That's only in a perfect world. Even when a child support order is in place, unless the other parent does the right thing from the get-go, a person should never budget for, or count on getting a cent. It doesn't matter if there are Federal orders in place (to get tax return money, GST etc), or if they suspend drivers licenses and/or passports, it still doesn't mean you will see much of anything.

In addition - it's not often that any parent pays 50% of extra-ordinary expenses, this is calculated by the incomes earned by both parents and the difference between those.

I'm not talking out of my arse either as I was my own lawyer and dealt with everything involving my custody & child support orders other than the enforcement which was up to FRO (Ontario) and the government, of which both failed miserably & after 4 Federal orders, 2 years of a suspended drivers license, and more than $27,000 of child support arrears I signed off to dump the entire matter - it wasn't worth the continued battle as we had been in & out of court numerous times between 2005 & 2011 when I finally got fed up with the system.

My situation is Ontario of course, so other provinces may be different for enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Good advice.
    Wow. How were you able to do this with two jobs?
    Inspiring.
    It was not easy, and certainly not good health wise since I never managed more than 4 hours of sleep a day, but you do what you have to do when it comes to your kids
    SavenRaven likes this.

Thread Information