User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Quit job or risk safety -- super miffed!!

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

If I were in your situation, I would quit for sure - your safety isn't worth this at all. You would be home with your little one which pays huge benefits, even if it isn't monetary. I find that just staying home to be with my family and living VERY frugally (baking bread, hanging out laundry, gardening, etc.) it is amazing how much money we save. My hubby and I have come to the conclusion that I save at least $1000 by staying home. Some may think that I have it easy but, let me tell you, staying home and living frugally IS hard work. I also have much more time to consider others needs, especially aging parents and this brings more satisfaction that money will ever buy. I shop second hand A LOT and am proud of the bargains...people are actually stunned when they find out most of my clothes are second hand.

I keep a record book of literally everything that we spend as family which really helps us keep track of where our money is going. And, lest you all think my hubby comes home with a huge paycheck, I should say that it is so low that we actually get all our taxes back every tax season Also, because I stay home and our income is much lower than normal, over the years I have been getting a good child tax credit allowance. There are many instances when it just doesn't pay to work out of the home, but everyone has to figure out what is the best for their own family.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Ahh, thanks everyone.

I honestly didn't think about the holidays approaching, so maybe there is hope to find a new job that will satisfy me more than this one! I feel somewhat stuck, like I don't want to quit and look like a failure because I couldn't stick it out... you know? I was ready to call the manager today and give her notice of quitting but then I realized that come friday at noon she wants nothing to do with the store and will not answer her phone. *rolls eyes* So now I have to wait until monday, and hope that I grow some big ones by then.
    Kyles_Mama and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If baking is still your interest, see what independant bakeries (check on your way home?) might like to have you on-board for the early morning weekend baking hours. If the coffee shop was a corporate store, then a call to HQ be in order. A franchised store is just one or more locations owned by a person, family or group of owners and they will look out for their own interests and want to keep costs low. I'm sure there are principled owners who DO consider safety of their employees as relevant as the security of the stores but it seems in your workplace, family/nepotism runs at large and so the perception that you won't be heard as a concerned employee exists. I have found it weird/hard in family owned stores that have family that act in some unofficial capacity and show up in workplace--how to know what permissions or boundaries they have? Especially as relates to cash, rules, procedures-no family members seem to inform staff about the limits their kin have in the workplaces even in temp. work situations like a fix-up/paint job/repair on-site or does staff even have to help them find supplies to do their tasks? I can give a minor family member leeway if s/he is given a task without direction-happen to check in with her/him to ask if they understand how to do task, give quick rundown /supply and let them carryon. But if the family member is a tool, s/he is on their own and let family deal with fallout.

I'd think there might be retail work now for holiday season that could offer some options-not sure the chain stores (the always lousy "flexible hours, must be avail. days, nights, weekends) but maybe local stores? Occasionally mall stores do want someone for specific daytime or weekend times. Which ones get recognized in the paper for their community work and employees?

I vote that you canvass for work prospects this weekend and give the "turkeys at work" your notice next week.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Oct 5th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

It's up to you whether or not you feel that it's worth the fight or not. Legally, you can refuse work that you deem to be unsafe. Obviously, you would need to be able to state why you think that the conditions are unsafe. If they are making new rules because of break-ins, then it should go without saying that you might require different working conditions to feel safe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information