User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Gift Cards that are Available at SDM

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by teverett View Post
    Another question for the veterans. Are you allowed to purchase say 3- $50 Vanilla MasterCard's. Get the bonus points then turn around and use the gc's to purchase more gc's? Or say a $150 Mastercard (don't even know if they sell that denomination) plus a smaller gc then use the $150 Mastercard to purchase another $150 in gcs?
    I have seen some SDM's which don't let you buy bus tickets , lottery tckets and GC ( including SDM GC ) with your credit card. They ask for cash or debit.

Not sure if its their official HO policy to do that or if its just the stores making up their own rules.

Usually if you are buying other products like groceries etc and the GC , they let you buy it with your CC.

But if you are buying just the GC with your CC they sometimes give you a hard time.

Plus isn't there some kind of transaction fee or administrative charge for using the pre paid vanilla mastercard the first time you use it anywhere ? ..so it might not be worth it
    teverett and Cathy_D like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I assume the other retailers do pay commission. Or Shoppers is hoping you will buy other stuff while you're there
    Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    How does SDM make money on this ?

I don't think the other retailers pay SDM enough commission to sell their gift cards in SDM
    Cathy_D likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

I honestly don't know if that would work. It definitely could though. I know the year before last people were able to buy $150 in SDM cards and then turn around and use that $150 in SDM cards to buy other GC's and ended up making a ton of points. But last year we weren't able to do that as SDM caught on.
    Quote Originally Posted by teverett View Post
    Another question for the veterans. Are you allowed to purchase say 3- $50 Vanilla MasterCard's. Get the bonus points then turn around and use the gc's to purchase more gc's? Or say a $150 Mastercard (don't even know if they sell that denomination) plus a smaller gc then use the $150 Mastercard to purchase another $150 in gcs?
    SFARAZ, teverett and Cathy_D like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    100 (99%)

Thanks for the information! So if I were to buy say $150 in Shoppers gift cards with my card then my spouse used her card and took those gift cards to buy more would that work? I've read that some stores won't let you use more than one gift card at a time so I suppose that could be a problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyRobertson View Post
    I honestly don't know if that would work. It definitely could though. I know the year before last people were able to buy $150 in SDM cards and then turn around and use that $150 in SDM cards to buy other GC's and ended up making a ton of points. But last year we weren't able to do that as SDM caught on.
    Just trying to figure out how to make it to 95,000 pts. Only at 35,000 so have a ways to go.
    Cathy_D likes this.

Trading Score
    80 (99%)

I'm trying to prepare for this gift card promo, and planning on buying $600.00 worth of gift cards if not more. So would that mean I receive a total of 32 000 points (8000 per $150.00 spent)? And can I purchase them all in one transaction?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Last year we had to do single transactions in order to get the points. Also don't forget that if you are purchasing SDM cards you will also get base points.
    Last edited by Tabby40; Wed, Oct 10th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    SFARAZ, Cathy_D and Adriana like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Do any of the giftcards have an expiry date?
    ~Want to get FREE giftcards, paypal $$ and other awesome stuff? Well then join the thousands of others like me on SwagBucks!
    ~Join Listia for even more great FREE deals! You can PM me for help/more info!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

No, not that I know of.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    74 (100%)

Also last year there was a minimum of the number of cards that you had to purchase to make up the $150. We really have to wait to read the fine print if this offer (hopefully) comes back. If you can afford it I would buy gc's for things you know you would use all year round: gas, sdm, restaurants, books, clothes, movies, coffee etc. I kept all of my receipts with my gc's last year and did not have any issues. Some stores only carry the gc's behind the counter so if you are worried about fraud you might want to purchase at stores like this. As well, because you may be doing multiple transactions of $150 you may want to alert your cc company. Mine stopped my transactions after three as a fraud precaution. If you let them know what you are doing in advance you should be okay.

I really hope they bring this one back - I am out of Starbucks gc's!
    Cathy_D likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shiningmoon View Post
    Generally speaking, at least in Ontario, GCs are no longer allowed to expire. However, some have "administration fees" - which vary widely - if you don't use up the balances within a certain time frame.

I will be using my SDM CC to buy multiples of the $150 SDM GCs. As a heads up for others planning to do so, last year I called ahead to the credit card provider to warn them that I'd be doing several purchases in the same amount over a short time period. I had my card frozen for possible fraud when I was using it to stock up on baby formula for a shelter during a MIR, lots of small similar charges (I think it was under $5/tin) threw up a red for them and they shut me down within about three minutes, LOL. They called my cell, too - all things considered, I was quite impressed with their responsiveness. But now I warn them to avoid the aggravation.

Torontogal: I worried about the same thing - they now have scratch-off PINs for the SDM cards, at least. I haven't had any issues with those ones, and wouldn't buy any other type, only the ones with concealed PINs, just to be safe.
    Last edited by screamy; Sun, Oct 14th, 2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added PIN info
    Chimmi and Cathy_D like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    254 (100%)

really hoping that they will bring back this offer this year , waiting impatiently took real good advantage of the offer last year

stores in my area(went to 3 of them ) were not taking credit cards for GC purchase, asked manager too, she told multiple frauds with GC purchases, so they are not taking
    Cathy_D likes this.

my trade list and wishlist, check it out, tons of tearpads
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/365260-...ensure-canada/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

The Beer Store
    Tabby40 and Cathy_D like this.

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

Would we know just a week in advance that this gc promo will be happening? or sooner?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebean View Post
    Would we know just a week in advance that this gc promo will be happening? or sooner?
    Last time it was a small ad in the flyer, likely the same this time
    Cathy_D likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Donno abt other provinces but gift card expiries are illegal in Ontrio
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningmoon View Post
    Cathy_D likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information