User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: I wish I had a Jack Hammer too!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am late hearing this story but I got a kick out of it ( secretly I want to do just what he did! )

The mayor of Montreal does NOT like CP coming in with their CMB sites, so he destroyed the concrete slab they had put in!!
    Related Stories

Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre has taken a jackhammer to the concrete slab foundation of a community mailbox in l'Anse-à-l'Orme nature park.

The mayor was protesting what he says is a lack of consultation with the city as Canada Post moves from door-to-door service to community mailboxes.
    Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre used a jackhammer to break the base of a Canada Post community mailbox. (CBC)

Throughout the day, Coderre had expressed his disappointment with the Crown corporation via a news conference, angry tweets, and finally, destroying the concrete slab itself.
    "It's a matter of fact that they're doing what they want, and then they try and piss in your ears and say, 'Oh don't worry, we are wishing to collaborate,' but at the end of the day, baloney, it's not working," he said.
    Earlier in the day, Coderre said it was "totally disgraceful" that the Crown corporation moved to erect community boxes in Parc l'Anse-à-l'Orme without any authorization from the municipality.
    Flanked by Westmount Mayor Peter Trent, Southwest borough Mayor Benoit Dorais, Villeray–Saint-Michel–Parc-Extension Mayor Anie Samson and Pierrefonds-Roxboro Mayor Jim Beis, Coderre condemned Canada Post for what he called a total absence of consultation.
    He said Canada Post's brazen community-mailbox placements go against Montreal urban planning procedures, and he'll have none of it.
    "I think it's wrong the way they're acting," Coderre said. "They said they were consulting. Hello? Anybody home? They're doing what they want, savagely, and they're arrogant."
    After he took a jackhammer to the slab of concrete, he announced he'd be sending the cost of the damage to Canada Post.
    Coderre tweeted Canada Post's response to him, accompanied by the hashtag #pathetic: The corporation said it was continuing to work with municipalities in order to find the best and safest locations for community mailboxes, and that it looks forward to his suggestions for box locations.
    Denis Coderre hates everything about this concrete slab. (Mathieu Dion/Radio-Canada)

Boxes called a public nuisance

Dorais, the Southwest borough mayor, said existing community mailboxes on his territory have already presented a number of problems, among them vandalism, theft and messiness. He said a set of boxes in particular were left in a sorry state for a year before media reports prompted Canada Post to clean up.
    Beis of Pierrefonds-Roxboro said box security was a major factor, with reports of some people's mail and parcels being stolen. ​

Trent, the Westmount mayor, said he believes Canada Post is installing its new mailboxes on the outskirts of the Island first so it can gradually work its way into the core of the city, where there is more opposition to the end of door-to-door mail delivery.
    "What I find most offensive about this whole business of Canada Post doing what it wants is that what we hear from the party in power is that it's a Crown corporation, there's nothing we can do," Trent said.
    "Well it's time to lift the corporate veil and say, 'No, Canada Post is owned by us, the citizens, and the government represents us. And if we as citizens decide it's time to call a moratorium on this misguided policy, then Canada Post should listen.'"
    The mayors are taking their fight against Canada Post to court, and have also asked to be part of a class-action suit against the Crown corporation as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ayor-1.3189965
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post, Via Rail
    Last edited by walkonby; Fri, Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:56 PM.
    anisa, Lynn49, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I wouldn't want to be the person who's house these boxes are placed in front of.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I love our mayor. He has more balls than the last one who hid most of his 10 years in office.
    bluerose, anisa, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

By the way I have a very large front property and this is my nightmare come true. I think if they started digging I would chain myself to my Blue spruce and call the mayor . He lives a few streets over from me
    anisa, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    I love our mayor. He has more balls than the last one who hid most of his 10 years in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    By the way I have a very large front property and this is my nightmare come true. I think if they started digging I would chain myself to my Blue spruce and call the mayor . He lives a few streets over from me

Oh Patty! NO!!! I hope it NEVER comes to that! Listen....would/could it not lower the value of an owners home? It must! Honestly, even though I am no longer delivering mail, I was so engaged when I read what your Mayor did. This needs to go further, more action needs to take place to stop CP from forcing this on us all.
    anisa, Patty Smyth, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I had this type of mail delivery for about 10 years. Apparently my parents have recently been the victims of mail theft from their community box. They are not secure.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We have never had door to door delivery. Our small post office was closed years ago so we had to drive 11 km to pick up our mail. Community boxes were a step up for us.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I think I love this man, no really I do. I live in Oakville. We were the 1st city to get these across all neighborhoods. There was no consultation and CPs planners are dumber than dirt. Please CP explain why I have a box across the street but that is not where my mail goes. Or my neighbors who have to walk by not 1 but 2 of these eyesores to get their mail. Then don't even get me started on the morons that park on my lawnb becuase they are too lazy to walk, we live on a no parking no curb street. DH and I have placed rocks across our lawn to save our grass and irrigation system. I am still fuming and it's been close to a year.
    I will say the litter has not been an issue and I think everyone equally hates them so they are far more respectful about it then the areas that have always had the boxes. If I find the odd thing blowing about I just pick it up. I don't even care if you throw the junk in my blue box on recycling day.
    Patty: let me know you you need me to come chain myself to that tree with you.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

anisa: yikes on the mail theft. I don't go everyday unless I am expecting a rebate check. I may need to rethink that.
    dededi and Davetherave like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I never experienced any of the CMB boxes I delivered to getting broken into, but then that was a while ago that I did that sort of delivery. @lilo0003 how perfectly " logical " that your neighbours have to pass 2 of them before they get to their own site. CP will always say they do their best when planning these out, but when you're on the receiving end of their gift it does not seem they put much effort into the process at all. I really dread them coming here.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Someone in my city got one right in the middle of his driveway!
    walkonby and dededi like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

What the????
    dededi likes this.
    R

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Someone in my city got one right in the middle of his driveway!
    FP....how can they do that? Isn't his driveway private property?

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    What the????
    +1....honestly!!
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    FP....how can they do that? Isn't his driveway private property?

+1....honestly!!
    According to them, so many feet of the property is city land.
    His new driveway was mapped out, dug etc but not concrete yet, I guess CP thought oh hey, he did half the work for us. Now his driveway needs to exit on a busy corner which is hardly safe
    walkonby likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

They pulled a fast one on him. City land eh? What a crock. Poor guy.
    anisa and FallenPixels like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information