User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

There is a purchasing club here in the city. Once a month you can purchase a fruit/vegetable box in values of $10,$15, or $20. An example of what is contained in the boxes:

$10 - 5 lbs potatoes, 2lbs carrots, 1 Romaine lettuce, 2lbs onions, 2lbs beets, 1 celery, 4 tomatoes, 4 peppers, 6 bananas, 1 1/2 lbs grapes

$15 - above items + 1 cauliflower, 6 ears of corn, 1 pineapple

$20 - all the above items from $10 and $15 order + 2.5 lbs sweet potatoes, 1 broccoli, 6 pears, 1 cantaloupe

My $15 box last month:

2 lbs green beans
    1 cauliflower
    1 bag onions
    1 bag carrots
    1 large bunch fresh spinach
    10 lbs potatoes
    1 bag apples
    1 cabbage
    1 squash
    1 turnip
    1 lettuce

You have to register and pay for your order 1 week in advance. This is all done through the Community Health Centre beside St. Joe's. If you want more info contact the CHC at 632-5537.

This month you can order a turkey for $20 as well.

Decembers payment is due December 10 and the pick up day is December 17 (12-3 pm).
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

Thanks for the post on this - I've been looking for something like this in our area. Other places have a community food basket program but this is the closest I've come to finding one our area. I called and they said that you can drop in anytime until Dec 10 to pay for this month. I like that it is a month to month program, so you opt in whenever you want/need.

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

This bump is for you AM!

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

This is a different spin on a purchasing club. It is definitely more expensive but there is also more included and a larger variety of items.

http://davesproducepacks.com/nav-ul-...ft-top-d5d5d5/

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

That is fascinating, thanks for the post. Totally different demographics for these two groups, that's for sure. The term 'polar opposites' comes to mind, actually.

That's a $200 a month commitment, so yes, I would certainly expect the lots of produce, loads of variety, and the best of the best. Frankly, I'm not sure that even that would satisfy me for that price tag.

For my money, and peace of mind, I'd rather shop the Kingston Farmers Market and buy the organic foods I know my family will eat, on a budget that we can afford.

Thanks for the post

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

Okay - and the math on this makes ME want to start one of these things up

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I too would find it hard to make the commitment and would want to get the best bang for my buck. I read on their site that they are encouraging families to share the boxes as last year many people were wanting smaller ones. I do love what they stand for and would LOVE to take the kiddies out to see it! Field trip!

Trading Score
    136 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AudiMama View Post
    I too would find it hard to make the commitment and would want to get the best bang for my buck. I read on their site that they are encouraging families to share the boxes as last year many people were wanting smaller ones. I do love what they stand for and would LOVE to take the kiddies out to see it! Field trip!
    A GREAT field trip! And truly, I would love to be able to afford to commit that kind of cash to local, organic food. LOVE. TO! But I stretch it pretty far to feed our 'little' homeschooling family, on one modest income.

Guess I better plant a garden and put those kids to work in our very own form of science class And if we could raise in a miniature cow and four laying hens, I'd be in heaven.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I'm sure that your neighbours wouldn't mind the new family pets at all ;o)
    I've been looking into 'City Gardening' and am surprised that there are so many different options AND wouldn't it be a great science lesson!?!? LOL!

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I love the idea but I agree the $200 per month is just not in our budget. Now if there was something where you pick exactly what you want & the amount you want then pay a discount rate (compared to stores) that would be awesome I'd love to buy everything organic and locally if I could and the price was reasonable for us!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Money due April 8th.
    Pick up April 15

This is for the Saint John Purchasing Club.
    Last edited by jjwbuster; Fri, Apr 1st, 2011 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Clarification of program

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    14 (100%)

We were part of Dave's Produce Packs last year. For the amount of money and for the amount of food my family eats, it wasn't enough produce for us. I won't be joining this year.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Thanks for the post Janey. It made me think.... I'm going to check them out at the SJkid Fair next month. We eat a lot of veggies but not every kind that they offer. I certainly don't mind a challenge and experimenting but for the $$ I would certainly expect enough to last me the week

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

Did anyone place an order with the SJ Purchasing club for April? Just curious to see what's included.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

I didn't this month as I have quite a few veggies in house right now. I will be ordering one next month though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information