• 1 Post By GeorgiaK
  • 1 Post By ericaraina
  • 1 Post By meriem
  • 1 Post By mandolinatou

Thread: Advice on Earning Free flights or hotel stays

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've recently found out I have to travel abroad for a wedding in December. While initially excited for my first trip outside of North America I'm a little bit irritable about the price of the flight and hotel. So I got out my airmiles card and having had accumulated airmiles for 5 years and never having had spent them, I figured that I'd atleast get a discount on my flight. Its not the case. I'd need 3,000 more miles to be able to pay with cash and fly at that time of year.

So my question is for those of you who know about points, how can I travel more easily with points. Apparently airmiles is not worth it, either that or I am doing it wrong. Do you have a credit card that is worth it in your opinion? Does anyone know of credit card offers that include a free one way flight? Does anyone have airline airmiles about to expire they'd want to pass on? Any advice would be great.
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I've given up on ever getting a travel reward for free, especially now that AirMiles and Aeroplan Miles expire after 5 years.
    mandolinatou likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Oh wow. Even with awesome promotions you'd likely be hard pressed to accumulate enough miles by then. I take it you HAVE to go to this wedding?

As far as miles/points are concerned, I'm of no help - but keep an eye on places like Chris Myden's blog (I think it's YULdeals for Montreal) for travel and charters. Once you get onto the continent (if it's in Europe) look at RyanAir, etc., for cheap flights, but be warned, they will charge you extra for every little possible thing and they fly out of the smaller airports, so it may cost more in transfer fares than you'd save otherwise.

Good luck!
    mandolinatou likes this.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I had no idea airmiles expire after 5 years. That was worth posting this question in itself. Thanks super_e!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

DH travels extensively for business and he racks up a lot of points using his Aeroplan card. We have been able to travel first class free in North America but, as I said, he travels a lot and logs about 70-90K miles per year. In order to get those free flights, you need to book way in advance, and have a lot of points to get the free tickets.
    mandolinatou likes this.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Even with points u have to pay taxes, right?? So annoying. If you're going to Europe and are flexible with dates, I recommend airtransat. They have a deals section!
    Hotels: price line. Name your own price!
    mandolinatou likes this.
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Mandolinatou, next December is way too short notice to accumulate enough points to make a dent in your travel budget. BUT you could use that trip as an opportunity to start accumulating miles and points for next time. You will need to learn more about frequent flyer programs, airline alliances, hotel programs, etc ; one good place to start educating yourself is flyertalk.com, probably the largest and oldest forum on such programs.

Should you decide to join Aeroplan, there is a 1000 points welcome bonus promotion right now :

http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...e/welcome.html
    Last edited by meriem; Sun, Nov 4th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
    mandolinatou likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Hey Mandolinatou, if you can't get free airfares, you can get free hotel nights..

When you sign up with Marriott Rewards referral program (you need to get referred by an existing member to get the additional points), you can get up to 10 000 bonus points. You can also gain more points if you sign up with their credit card AND get bonus free nights and higher status.

They regularly have promotions as well for free hotel nights.

If anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Good reading! Thank you!
    ING DIRECT Orange Key **Get $50 in minutes!** From now until December 31st, when you open an ING DIRECT account, they'll give you a $50 Holiday Bonus. Hohoho! You may also be eligible for more deals, take a look! Use this link and enter Orange Key 38966724S1: http://www.ingdirect.ca/referafriend/ HAPPY SAVING!

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up doing some looking on airmiles offers. There is a lot right now. I figured I may offer you guys some suggestions. Right now there is an offer if you meet with a BMO advisor, you'd score 200 airmiles if you book the appointment online through the airmiles website. I went ahead and booked my "investment appointment". Furthermore there are a bunch of credit card offers right now. Where you can probably do pretty well applying for an american express card and doing your christmas shopping on it. If you spend at least 500 dollars the first few months you can get a lot of airmiles this way (700 airmiles actually). They also are offering 75 airmiles if you download that airmiles search bar. So collectively doing all three of these things I figure I could get an extra 1000 airmiles. Which does not help me with this trip, but now I think I understand airmiles. Don't shop at Jean Coutu, instead order, briefly use, pay off and cut up credit cards. Cheersl!!!!
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I ended up doing some looking on airmiles offers. There is a lot right now. I figured I may offer you guys some suggestions. Right now there is an offer if you meet with a BMO advisor, you'd score 200 airmiles if you book the appointment online through the airmiles website. I went ahead and booked my "investment appointment". Furthermore there are a bunch of credit card offers right now. Where you can probably do pretty well applying for an american express card and doing your christmas shopping on it. If you spend at least 500 dollars the first few months you can get a lot of airmiles this way (700 airmiles actually). They also are offering 75 airmiles if you download that airmiles search bar. So collectively doing all three of these things I figure I could get an extra 1000 airmiles. Which does not help me with this trip, but now I think I understand airmiles. Don't shop at Jean Coutu, instead order, briefly use, pay off and cut up credit cards. Cheersl!!!!
    Can you tell me where you see/found that bmo/200 AM investment appt offer?

Did you check CIBC's cc's? They have some that give you 15k aeroplan points when you sign up. Not enough to go abroad but enough to go to 'short haul' places. Also try some of those travel sites like expedia and travelocity. They will tell you the cheapest flight available. If you have to stay at a hotel, call them directly rather than through the 1-800 #. The individual hotels are more likely to give you a better rate.

Silk
    Have a great life!

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Silk sure so the offer for 200 airmiles for an appointment is on the airmiles website. It was a banner ad that appeared when I was logged in to my airmiles account. So surf the site a little and you should stumble on it.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinatou View Post
    Silk sure so the offer for 200 airmiles for an appointment is on the airmiles website. It was a banner ad that appeared when I was logged in to my airmiles account. So surf the site a little and you should stumble on it.
    Thanks!

Silk
    Have a great life!

Thread Information