User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Problem to buy the GC with my credit card

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I had the same issue and when I spoke to customer service they indicated it was because there had been fraud in my (urban) area and that the Loss Prevention officer likely advised the stores not to accept credit cards. And if I went outside of that area then I'd be more likely to find a store that would accept a credit card.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not being able to use the RBC Optimum MC or the MBNA Optimum MC with this promo makes no sense at all.
    Whoever posted the comment on FB that you cannot combine Optimum MC points with most points promotions is out to lunch.
    I use my Optimum MC for every single 20x points day and always get my Optimum MC points.
    If my points do not appear because I used their own store-branded MC to by GC's, something will definitely hit the fan.
    Dumb dumb dumb

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The FB person obviously does not quite understand the program and has micro-interpreted the cannot combine points issue which really just means SDM MC holders don't get an additional 8000BP for using their SDM cc or RBC debit card. Frustrating, yes, but we know by now to disregard a lot of the FB info. Unfortunate for cardholders that truly need some help learning the program.

windowwendy
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

i used my credit card today without a problem. i also went to the cosmetics counter to do it as to not bother the one cashier at front.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I went to shoppers yesterday to buy some home depot gift cards. We purchased flooring and I was going to use the cards to pay for the floor.The cashier allowed me to purchase the cards using my shoppers MC but informed me that no points would be rewarded. She said it was only a one per account deal of 8000 pts and the gift cards had to be purchased with cash or debit. She said this came from head office because of over abuse with people when they had the event where you bought two chocolate bars and got the bonus points. I didnt particpate in that event so I dont recall the details. But she said this measure is to prevent over abuse and the company losing out on too many points. She also said you will see this more often now because the company is catching on to people trying to get more points.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Again, dumb dumb dumb.
    I believe that in Canada it still illegal to have promotions based on tender type.
    If the store accepts credit cards to buy gift cards, than all promotions should apply.
    They cannot say "if you use a cc you will not get the bonus points", that is discriminating against the customer's preferred tender type, and illegal according to all cc merchant agreements.
    You cannot offer discounts or special promos for cash-only or debit transactions.
    I think the only exception to this is the Canadian Tire Money program that has been around for decades.
    Again, SDM is confusing the crap out of everyone. FB Page is wrong, cashiers are wrong ...
    You can use any credit card to buy GCs, if the store allows you to.
    If they allow you to, than you get the bonus points. That's it.
    Last edited by Panache70; Tue, Nov 13th, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
    Cuckoobird likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Panache70 View Post
    Again, dumb dumb dumb.
    I believe that in Canada it still illegal to have promotions based on tender type.
    If the store accepts credit cards to buy gift cards, than all promotions should apply.
    They cannot say "if you use a cc you will not get the bonus points", that is discriminating against the customer's preferred tender type, and illegal according to all cc merchant agreements.
    You cannot offer discounts or special promos for cash-only or debit transactions.
    I think the only exception to this is the Canadian Tire Money program that has been around for decades.
    Again, SDM is confusing the crap out of everyone. FB Page is wrong, cashiers are wrong ...
    You can use any credit card to buy GCs, if the store allows you to.
    If they allow you to, than you get the bonus points. That's it.
    The FB page is contributing largely to the confusion. They don't provide correct answers and if you call HO, they give conflicting and unreliable answers as well. I'm so used to it that I don't give a cr*p anymore.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information