User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Problem to buy the GC with my credit card

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in montreal, i tried 3 SDM to buy the GC with my BMO credit card this morning and they were not accepted.The cashier forced me to pay by cash or debit card. Did someone successfully buy gc with your credit card in montreal, then tell me the location pls.Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pincourt location did it for me today. I did have some bread and eggs in my transaction, not just the gift cards... but they accepted payment using my cc for the whole thing.

From my experience, Beaconsfield will not allow purchase of GC with a cc, and Ile Perrot location seems to depend on the cashier...

I have never had a problem in Pincourt.
    bibiee likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I bought my $155 with of GC and the cashier said that its either cash or debit...last year I used my credit card---so now transferring money so I can buy more cards.....the wording someone posted said on not to be used on "financial card"

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am not in Montreal but I bought 7 x $150.00 and paid with my SDM MC. I had no issues and no resistance from the cashiers
    pippinelkhound likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'm not taking any chances this year---I don't remember it say this (in bold) last year...went to NEW SDM near me and she said cash or debit...last year used credit card at another store

*LCBO cards available in Ontario only. Points are issued on the purchase of eligible products using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes Shoppers Optimum®MasterCard® points and points associated with the RBC® Shoppers Optimum® Banking Account. Cannot be used with any other offer or promotion. Points to be awarded to your account by Friday, November 23, 2012 for eligible transactions. Gift or financial cards may not be used to purchase additional gift or financial cards. Bonus points will not be issued for transactions in which a gift card or a financial card is used as tender to pay for additional gift or financial cards. Some conditions apply. Offer valid Saturday, November 10, 2012 to Friday, November 16, 2012. See store for details.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    I am not in Montreal but I bought 7 x $150.00 and paid with my SDM MC. I had no issues and no resistance from the cashiers
    See I was going to use my SDM MC but the Facebook page said you can use CCs but not the SDM MC because you would not get the points. Double dipping or something like that. I'm gonna use another CC just in case.
    anastasia1009 likes this.
    Help my FRIENDS Son get to Halifax. He just made the ONTARIO SPEED Skating team!
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/se...ifax/x/2470682
    I started my own blog for friends and family!http://tracyscouponexperiments.blogspot.com/

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eve160450 View Post
    See I was going to use my SDM MC but the Facebook page said you can use CCs but not the SDM MC because you would not get the points. Double dipping or something like that. I'm gonna use another CC just in case.
    Mine said you don't earn any SDM if you use a SDM mastercard for GC" Excludes Shoppers Optimum®MasterCard® points and points associated with the RBC® Shoppers Optimum® Banking Account"
    lizamarie likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by eve160450 View Post
    Majority of their promos (20x, GC) state that you can't earn points when using your SDM MC or Optimum Debit, as it shows in the post above.

That being said, in my opinion you should still be allowed to use those cards, just not earn the bonus points using your card would allow.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I called 1-800-shoppers about using your credit card to pay for GC & they said that you wouldn't be awarded the points if you used a credit card. This does not seem correct with regard to their terms. That said that "financial card" includes any credit card.
    lizamarie likes this.

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

seams like sdm don't know what they are talking about again, no one is getting the same answer... will see soon enough.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    111 (100%)

can someone clarify? using the SDM credit card does or does not allow the purchaser to get the points during this promo?

Quote Originally Posted by anastasia1009 View Post
    Mine said you don't earn any SDM if you use a SDM mastercard for GC" Excludes Shoppers Optimum®MasterCard® points and points associated with the RBC® Shoppers Optimum® Banking Account"

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I paid last year with my SDM MC and got the the points. I only use my SDM MC when shopping there and have never had any issue with any bonus points I will be calling them if I don't get the points as my interpretation is I won't get the SDM MC base points which is fine but it does not say the bonus points won't be awarded.
    Last yr I did 10 transaction using two different cards and got 80000 points
    hcao likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

There are 3 SDMs near me (the 4th one opening soon) and 2 of those places do not allow you to purchase GCs, bus tickets, bus passes, tobacco products (they only sell the patches or gum though so I'm not sure if that applies) or lottery tickets using a credit card or gift card, they can only be cash or debit.
    It's likely to be different depending on the store, but the ones that do not allow it have signs in clear view at every cash register.

Winnipeg Airmiler
    Trading Score
    215 (100%)

They will freeze your card if you don't do it properly. Not the store, but the company will and they will take your points away. It might not be released in time for the mega redemption, but I wouldn't chance it! Speaking from experience.

QUOTE=lilo0003;5078190]I am not in Montreal but I bought 7 x $150.00 and paid with my SDM MC. I had no issues and no resistance from the cashiers[/QUOTE]

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizamarie View Post
    I'm not taking any chances this year---I don't remember it say this (in bold) last year...went to NEW SDM near me and she said cash or debit...last year used credit card at another store

*LCBO cards available in Ontario only. Points are issued on the purchase of eligible products using a valid Shoppers Optimum Card®. Excludes Shoppers Optimum®MasterCard® points and points associated with the RBC® Shoppers Optimum® Banking Account. Cannot be used with any other offer or promotion. Points to be awarded to your account by Friday, November 23, 2012 for eligible transactions. Gift or financial cards may not be used to purchase additional gift or financial cards. Bonus points will not be issued for transactions in which a gift card or a financial card is used as tender to pay for additional gift or financial cards. Some conditions apply. Offer valid Saturday, November 10, 2012 to Friday, November 16, 2012. See store for details.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sboots2345 View Post
    I called 1-800-shoppers about using your credit card to pay for GC & they said that you wouldn't be awarded the points if you used a credit card. This does not seem correct with regard to their terms. That said that "financial card" includes any credit card.
    Oh for pete's sake!! If they aren't awarding points for purchasing GCs, they will certainly be hearing from me.....

I read the quoted statement as you can't receive Shoppers MC bonus points if you buy GC. (If they want to promote other credit cards besides their MC, they only have their marketing department to blame.)

For the bolded print, I read financial cards may not be used to purchase additional gift or financial cards. In other words, I cannot pay for a GC with another GC and I cannot pay for a financial card (like pre-paid Visa, MC, etc.) with my pre-paid Visa, MC, etc. CC to GC transactions should be fine.

If, however, they say you can't use a financial card to purchase gift or financial cards (without the word "additional"), then, I would assume only cash or debit. Seriously, it's getting to the point where you need a lawyer to read this stuff. I'm marching right over to SDM HO and giving a good shake to anyone telling their customers otherwise.

Sorry Sboots2345 for your mean CS rep, and I apologize for everyone having to witness me getting cranky at SDM yet again. They just get me all fired up sometimes.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Sun, Nov 11th, 2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added word "pre-paid".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information