• 2 Post By hollyquaiscer
  • 2 Post By DianneS
  • 10 Post By vesper
  • 2 Post By i_forget
  • 2 Post By ancarett

Thread: Avis One way Rentals

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I rented a car this month from Dallas to Wyoming. I paid $520 for doing so, including tax and extra insurance.

When I got my credit card bill, it was billed at $1,168. They added a $500 one way fee.

This was never discussed. And in fact, I just called the number to make a similar reservation and asked if there are additional fee's. They said no.

I'll get this dealt with to my satisfaction, just wanted to make sure everyone knows to read the credit card statement after renting, because they add all sorts of goofy charges afterwards.
    This thread is currently associated with: Avis Car Rentals

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I rented a car this month from Dallas to Wyoming. I paid $520 for doing so, including tax and extra insurance.

When I got my credit card bill, it was billed at $1,168. They added a $500 one way fee.

This was never discussed. And in fact, I just called the number to make a similar reservation and asked if there are additional fee's. They said no.

I'll get this dealt with to my satisfaction, just wanted to make sure everyone knows to read the credit card statement after renting, because they add all sorts of goofy charges afterwards.
    They should have disclosed that fee to you upfront .

Anyways 500 bucks is too much !

But usually most rental companies have a fee where if you rent at one location and return the car at a different location , they charge you for it.
    matrix82, hollyquaiscer and vesper like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    40 (100%)

I have rented from various companies and they all have charged an additional fee to return the car to a different location. While they didn't really disclose the amount to you, are you sure there isn't anything on the rental contract? There are often different charges on that contract that people don't really read about. I recommend to everyone that they really read the contract before initializing and signing it.
    hollyquaiscer and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

When I moved from Ottawa to Kitchener using Uhaul and another time using Budget I think and even the last move to here from Ottawa we got charged a one way move. I think it was 150 not sure I would have to check the forms. But we were told up front about the charge.
    vesper likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Yup, most car rental agencies will charge a hefty one way fee, sorry you had to find out about it that way though, that's just not good business IMO.
    Last edited by coupongirl99; Fri, Nov 23rd, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
    vesper likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I picked up the car in Dallas, they charged me $250 rather than $35 a day, citing the fact I would be dropping it off far away. Thus is is rather shocking they threw in that $500 fee.

Otherwise, I would have rented at $35 a day, then dropped it off 2 days later. $570.

I'll get a refund. Nothing in contract stating a $500 fee.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Thats ridiculous! $500 for a one way charge...definately, read the contract and if there's nothing in there, make if difficult for them. They should have to pay for your aggrivation to straighten that mess out (and yes I know they won't, but wouldn't it be nice) We rented a car this summer when we went to Orlando with some of the grandkids. I did tons of checking because when I started looking (about 5 weeks before we left) they wanted $995 for 2 weeks of a mini van rental. I booked the day before we left and pickup up the van at the airport, and with an online coupon, was able to get the van rental for $195 for 2 weeks. Car rental companies sometimes think they have a license to steal.

Best of luck straightening out this mess.
    harbie and vesper like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

Car rental prices are, very unfortunately for you I'm afraid, based on renting the car and returning it to the original location. When the clerk responded that there were no additional charges, it obviously did not occur to him/her that you would be dropping it at another location as it's not part of a standard rental. (No wonder....given the cost!) I don't know how many miles it is from Dallas to the city in Wyoming where you dropped the car but Avis would factor in gas for return trip, mileage, wages for someone driving it back down, etc. $500 is one heck of a drop charge, though! I would feel sick to my stomach, if it were me. So sorry you had this happen to you....

edit: Ooops....just read your post further down. Sounds like they definitely owe you a refund given the additional information. Someone didn't do their job properly!
    Last edited by DianneS; Sat, Nov 24th, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yahoo! They caved as I thought they would!! And I am getting a $100 off voucher for the error.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

good stuff!
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

We rented a car from JFK to drive to Buffalo after a day of travel craziness several years back. They originally quoted us a $200 one way fee but the people at Buffalo waived that on our arrival the next day as they had someone seeking to drive back to the NYC area. Sometimes it all works out: glad it did in your case, too.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Happy to hear that you're getting a refund!
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Thread Information