User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: ASUS T100 TRANSFORMER BOOK 32GB - opinions wanted

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm thinking of purchasing this notebook/tablet combo for my grandson for his schoolwork.
    He will be using an external harddrive so low GB is not an issue.

Does anyone have one and have something to say to help me decide? Thanks!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

it depends on what he will be using it for.

Browsing internet, taking notes, sending emails are good. Cant do gaming, photography, and maybe some productivity won't work on this. Keep in mind that this is an older product. 2013 is considered older when new phones, tablets and computer come out every quarter.

check out: http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/01/a...k-t100-review/

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I have a transformer tablet and love it for writing blog posts, light editing of documents and spreadsheets, emails, scanning the Internet, etc. it will not replace a laptop though.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

GeorgiaK
    I have a transformer tablet and love it for writing blog posts, light editing of documents and spreadsheets, emails, scanning the Internet, etc. it will not replace a laptop though.
    Yesterday, 10:50 PM
    jsmile
    it depends on what he will be using it for.

Browsing internet, taking notes, sending emails are good. Cant do gaming, photography, and maybe some productivity won't work on this. Keep in mind that this is an older product. 2013 is considered older when new phones, tablets and computer come out every quarter.

check out: http://www.engadget.com/2013/12/01/a...k-t100-review/

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize this model was so old. Shoppers still priced at $400, but I can use my points to help with $

Grandson will not be doing any gaming on this one. Just for school projects - presentations, powerpoints, research, Microsoft office features,...
    He's 10, but his school does a lot of project work and other. He goes to the extreme with his assignments. Takes school work very seriously.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

In all honesty, for $400, you can do better than the T100. I like the Android version of the tranformerbook, way back, but this one is not at all the same quality or craftsmanship.

Instead, you could buy him a basic laptop for around the same money that performs better and maybe even still have money left over.

But, If you still want a conversion tablet/netbook unit, try this:
    http://www.costco.ca/HP-Pavilion-X2-...00150576.html#

It's newer, and has overall better specs than the T100 does. (better processor, more ram)

I know you say you have optimum points to help with the purchase at Shoppers, but save your points for something else.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Aug 25th, 2015 at 01:30 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    In all honesty, for $400, you can do better than the T100. I like the Android version of the tranformerbook, way back, but this one is not at all the same quality or craftsmanship.

Instead, you could buy him a laptop for around the same money that performs better and maybe even still have money left over.

If you still want a conversion tablet/netbook unit, try this:
    http://www.costco.ca/HP-Pavilion-X2-...00150576.html#

It's newer, and has overall better specs than the T100 does.

I know you say you have optimum points to help with the purchase at Shoppers, but save your points for something else.
    Thanks very much. I'm really not looking for a conversion tablet. Didn't realize at first that the asus t100 is a tablet first.

I'm needing a laptop/netbook. I have to use my points for $. Wish I didn't.
    Noticed 6 models at shoppers.

I'm on a mission now checking out
    HP stream 11.6
    and HP 15.6 2GB notebook.
    They also have Acer 15.6 4GB/500GB notebook.
    Acer 15.6 8GB/500GB intel quad core notebook

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ 2GB of RAM is hardly anything to get joyous about. Additionally, I doubt it comes with office which he will need for his school work. Being a lad, he will probably want to play games (minecraft etc) on it. Get him a decent portable laptop with better CPU

Tablets aren't meant for taking pictures, so that is a moot point.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    ^ 2GB of RAM is hardly anything to get joyous about. Additionally, I doubt it comes with office which he will need for his school work. Being a lad, he will probably want to play games (minecraft etc) on it. Get him a decent portable laptop with better CPU

Tablets aren't meant for taking pictures, so that is a moot point.
    What do you think about

Acer 15.6 4gb/500gb notebook . $330 shoppers ?
    Acer 15.6 8gb/500gb notebook - $400 shoppers ?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

-should have replied to post. ignore

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by WINNIPEGZELDA View Post
    What do you think about

I work in I.T. and have for close to 20 years. I can't recommend ACER products with a good conscience. When I did sales, I had more Acer product come back defective than any other brand. They do come in on the cheap, but they behave like it too.

If i were you I'd steer clear of Acer, eMachines, Gateway, and Packard Bell... they're all tarred by the same brush. You'll save about 10-20% from the competitor brands, but you'll be ever woeful for it.

You'll likely lose the unit to warranty repair at least once during the first year, and put up with half-measure defects afterward the warrant expires. If possible, stick with a better name like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus even.

I would steer clear of Toshiba as well. When I used to do warranty work for them, they had a lot of "shady" policies I didnt agree with. (like NOT advising the customer that there was a recall on their model if the defect wasn't evident)
    blackstaffer likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    I work in I.T. and have for close to 20 years. I can't recommend ACER products with a good conscience. When I did sales, I had more Acer product come back defective than any other brand. They do come in on the cheap, but they behave like it too.

If i were you I'd steer clear of Acer, eMachines, Gateway, and Packard Bell... they're all tarred by the same brush. You'll save about 10-20% from the competitor brands, but you'll be ever woeful for it.

You'll likely lose the unit to warranty repair at least once during the first year, and put up with half-measure defects afterward the warrant expires. If possible, stick with a better name like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Asus even.

I would steer clear of Toshiba as well. When I used to do warranty work for them, they had a lot of "shady" policies I didnt agree with. (like NOT advising the customer that there was a recall on their model if the defect wasn't evident)
    Great info. Think I'll pass the info on to my daughter and she can decide.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PM'd you as well... cheers!

Saver
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'll second bholmbardy and say that you should avoid acer, gateway and emachines. They are all cheap because they are made cheaply with components that will inevitably die way before the device should be replaced.
    WINNIPEGZELDA likes this.
    Get $25 CASH for opening a Tangerine account. To receive the $$, enter 39061906S1 as the orange key when you sign up.To sign up or for more info go to http://www.tangerine.ca/en/referafriend/index.html

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One of my degrees is in Computer Engineering (B.Eng) from a top 10 university, along with my many market certifications (PMP, Cisco, MCSA, MCSE, et al) and I have worked here in Canada and overseas for over 25yrs in the field, as well as being a member of the IEEE. Just wanted to get that out whilst we are at it

More RAM will always be advantageous, and at the end of the day, badge doesn't really matter. It's the components inside i.e. the quality of them that really matters. Kinda like human beings with a facade' that is enticing, but with the inside of <insert whatever>

CPU (processor) type and RAM are two key components, and 4 & 8 GB trumps anything, and yes I am typing from a HP laptop that I got in 2011, and it still works like a beast. When I want to watch movies that I have downloaded, I hook it up to my big smart TV using HDMI cable, and it becomes a dual screen.

Quote Originally Posted by WINNIPEGZELDA View Post
    What do you think about

Last edited by beachdown; Tue, Aug 25th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
    WINNIPEGZELDA likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

beachdown, I noticed you picked up an HP unit from shoppers recently. May I ask which model?

I'm calling around my local SDM and having trouble with them giving me the correct model numbers so I could print out the specs for comparision.

Right now they have 2 HP units in the flyer.

HP Stream 11.6, 2GB/32GB notebook $200

HP 15.6, 2GB notebook $270 (they told me regular price is $350)
    Clerk gave me a model number which doesn't match any hp 15.6 when I google.

I'm not worried about the 2GB. My daughter says she has some kind of external something for more GBs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information