User Tag List

Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast
Like Tree1533Likes

Thread: What book are you reading or recently read?

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just finished "The Giver." What a disturbing book! Disturbing in a good way though. I really liked it. Debating whether or not to read the other 2 in the trilogy (Gathering Blue and The Messenger) or just to leave it at "The Giver" and call it a day. I've heard mixed reviews about the other two books so I'm a little afraid to mess with a good thing. Maybe should just end on the high and leave it that way??

Thoughts from anyone who has read the rest of The Giver trilogy????

Just about to begin "the Fault in Our Stars," and judging from my daughter's reaction (she just finished it tonight), I'd better have the tissues handy.
    avoncallingu and Venuila like this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Ninna I didn't want to ruin a good thing either and choose to stop at The Giver. Really enjoyed. Fault in my stars is teeny bopper, but still a great read.
    avoncallingu and ninna like this.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Started reading a book called Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe. Title got me interested. Also, the book has recipes, so even if the novel part doesn't work, I might get some new recipes out of it.
    avoncallingu likes this.

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    Just finished "The Giver." What a disturbing book! Disturbing in a good way though. I really liked it. Debating whether or not to read the other 2 in the trilogy (Gathering Blue and The Messenger) or just to leave it at "The Giver" and call it a day. I've heard mixed reviews about the other two books so I'm a little afraid to mess with a good thing. Maybe should just end on the high and leave it that way??

Thoughts from anyone who has read the rest of The Giver trilogy????

Just about to begin "the Fault in Our Stars," and judging from my daughter's reaction (she just finished it tonight), I'd better have the tissues handy.

I read them all and enjoyed them all. There's a #4 too, The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger and Son. I thought they were all great.
    avoncallingu, ninna and Granger like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Granger View Post
    Ninna I didn't want to ruin a good thing either and choose to stop at The Giver. Really enjoyed. Fault in my stars is teeny bopper, but still a great read.
    Teeny bopper. lol. That's how I felt reading Divergent.

I am a high school English teacher so I try to keep abreast of some teeny bopper fiction for work purposes but more than that, my own daughter is on the cusp of her teenage years so I like to know what she's reading. hehe. I have an ulterior motive...it's good mother-daughter time!! She likes to talk books with me when we've read them together...lol... and also it's a good way as a parent to monitor what she's reading and absorbing so we can discuss troubling issues or whatever.
    anisa, avoncallingu and GoJays like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

just read 'top secret twenty one' - evanovich
    a nice light read for a rainy sunday
    ROMEO, avoncallingu and ninna like this.

Trading Score
    369 (100%)

finished the latest Nicholas Sparks book.

Now, to finish the Rhapsody Trilogy. I'm going to start Destiny by Elizabeth Haydon tonight. Has anyone read these? The first one was pretty hard for me to get into but I loved the second one! Looking forward to the third. I didn't realize this trilogy is part of an even bigger series, going to have a few more to read after this one!
    ROMEO and avoncallingu like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Look Me in the Eye:My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison

Laughing All the Way to the Mosque by Zarqa Nawaz

both digital downloads from the library onto my Kobo.
    ROMEO, avoncallingu and ninna like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Well I have not done this in along time but I read "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn in one night last night. I started as my daughters baseball game and was so engrossed I read all evening until I was finished. Scared me, touched me, disturbed me and was an incredible raw read. Much better than "Gone Girl' imo.

I'm here for the Survivor Pool

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

Started reading The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom at the doctor's office, but I started tearing up within the first 5 pages so I decided to wait until I got home. Going to be a real tear jerker. lol
    bluerose, ROMEO and avoncallingu like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    Started reading The First Phone Call From Heaven by Mitch Albom at the doctor's office, but I started tearing up within the first 5 pages so I decided to wait until I got home. Going to be a real tear jerker. lol
    Yeah, not a public transit book either. Got the sniffles reading that. I started crying on my commute home one day when I was reading the Time Keeper. I now leave Mitch Albom books as "home" books.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars" the other day. I had some trouble getting through it to be honest. The characters sound like a bunch of sage 50 year olds...which, maybe is how one sounds when confronted with his or her own mortality. I dunno. It kinda rang false to me. Funny in some spots. I loved the Dutch author who was truly a psychotic freak; he made me laugh at the absurdity. My daughter read the novel and cried so hard at the end and I was expecting to weep buckets since I get emotional when reading sad stories. BUT... I read it and didn't shed a single tear which earned me the moniker of "heartless monster." LOL. I took her to see the movie today and in the movie I did cry when Isaac gave his eulogy at the pre funeral funeral which, I am told by my daughter, was "the wrong part" to cry at. lol. Can't win eh? Gheesh.

I also finished "Disgrace" by JM Coetzee today.

Now I have started "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth. I'm really only reading it because my daughter is super excited about that series and thinks I should read all four books (she has already). Well, if anything, the series is an easy read. I will give it that!

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ninna View Post
    Finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars" the other day. I had some trouble getting through it to be honest. The characters sound like a bunch of sage 50 year olds...which, maybe is how one sounds when confronted with his or her own mortality. I dunno. It kinda rang false to me. Funny in some spots. I loved the Dutch author who was truly a psychotic freak; he made me laugh at the absurdity. My daughter read the novel and cried so hard at the end and I was expecting to weep buckets since I get emotional when reading sad stories. BUT... I read it and didn't shed a single tear which earned me the moniker of "heartless monster." LOL. I took her to see the movie today and in the movie I did cry when Isaac gave his eulogy at the pre funeral funeral which, I am told by my daughter, was "the wrong part" to cry at. lol. Can't win eh? Gheesh.

I also finished "Disgrace" by JM Coetzee today.

Now I have started "Insurgent" by Veronica Roth. I'm really only reading it because my daughter is super excited about that series and thinks I should read all four books (she has already). Well, if anything, the series is an easy read. I will give it that!
    LOL- my 16yr old dd is crazy about the Fault In Our Stars book/movie too so I watched the trailer and thought along a similar path as you. Hazel says something about a Peter Gabriel song and I thought "kids still know who Peter Gabriel is?". I guess each generation has its tear jerker/dying movie (Love Story, Terms of Endearment, I was too busy raising my kids to know what was happening in the 90s, etc) so I have kept my mouth shut and let it be her journey. She even bought a necklace at Hot Topic with a quote from the movie on it, sheesh!
    ROMEO and avoncallingu like this.

I'm here for the Survivor Pool

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

copied a couple of titles down on my to read lists thanks everyone for posting.

avoncallingu and Venuila like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@ninna I forgot the teens were so far-fetched! 16 going on 60. I wasn't emotional about it wither for that reason. Still enjoyed it though. I read his book with the character Alaska, her name is in the title. I enjoyed that one much more.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 ... LastLast

Thread Information