User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: cooking with stevia and rice flour ?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

they were at ridiculus price at WM so i bought them.....but i don't know what to do with them

i found a Banana cake (more like muffins recipe) with rice flour but i'd like to know more .....
    and i read stevia is very very sweet so, i guess i can use a teaspoon when a recipe require a cup of sugar.....

but i don't have any recipe ....so i thought of asking my Sc friends....

thank you so much
    This thread is currently associated with: Cake Beauty, Guess
    walkonby likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Mia can I ask what type of Stevia you bought at WM? The reason I ask is because I am certain they only carry the inferior kind of Stevia ( called Krisha?) that has Maltodextrose added to bind with the Stevia leaf when they make it. This causes the product to be worse than eating sugar, it now contains calories because of the maltodextrose.
    The Stevia that is better for you has zero calories and when manufactured and bulked up they using inulin, (from chicory)instead of maltodextrose.
    So as far as recipes go it is quite trial and error to bake with rice flour as I have discovered,
    ( I am still learning ) and you are right about Stevia being very sweet. There is an improved brand of Stevia out called NOW, and I believe they have removed the bitter aftertaste that some people were saying they tasted from it prior ( I never tasted it though)

The banana cake /muffin recipe you have, is it a traditional one or does it already give the ingredients for rice flour in it? I think when you bake you need to add other types of flours in small amounts to help the rice flour along, also I think eggs are important too, like you may have to separate the egg from yolk and whip the egg whites up to soft peaks form, then fold them into the batter to give volume.
    Tricks like that.
    I know there are a few who are a whiz at this Gluten Free baking, hope they chime in soon to post some good recipes for you.
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Jan 15th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
    Shwa Girl, Tbites and SharonMe like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

yes, it'S Krisda...baking formulation....45 calories for a tbsp and 14g of carbohydrate ( isn't that too much of it?)....i would never put that much in my coffee....lol
    i've just seen on the bag....1cup of K = 1 cup of sugar...i think i might bring it back to WM....i can live without that

oups, i forgot, the cake recipe is in french.....found it on Recettes du Quebec site
    Last edited by Mia001; Wed, Jan 16th, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Oh Mia, I am happy to hear you say you will return that package to WM. So many people are being fooled by " fake " mixtures and products claiming to be derived from the natural plant Stevia Leaf, I have read so many labels of things and put them right back on the shelf. Good luck with your search for a yummy recipe.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

The only stevia I've ever tasted was in Trop50 orange juice, and I thought that tasted horrible.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

About 8 years ago I could never find Stevia, well in liquid form only. I was trying to educate people about the health effects associated with using chemicals and artificial sweeteners like aspartame in their a.m. beverages, but now everyone seems to have embraced it almost with a negative effect.
    Some people rush out and purchase a product just because they see the word Stevia printed on the side of the package or carton, before they realize later that they are buying the inferior processed facsimile of Stevia, and not the real pure form deal.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    they were at ridiculus price at WM so i bought them.....but i don't know what to do with them

i found a Banana cake (more like muffins recipe) with rice flour but i'd like to know more .....
    and i read stevia is very very sweet so, i guess i can use a teaspoon when a recipe require a cup of sugar.....

but i don't have any recipe ....so i thought of asking my Sc friends....

thank you so much
    I finally remembered !! It is VeeVee who would likely know the best recipe!! Here is her gluten free thread

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/148685-...a/#post2305645

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Oh Mia, I am happy to hear you say you will return that package to WM. So many people are being fooled by " fake " mixtures and products claiming to be derived from the natural plant Stevia Leaf, I have read so many labels of things and put them right back on the shelf. Good luck with your search for a yummy recipe.
    do you know of any reliable brands? Isn't it supposed to be calorie free? I don't believe in using artificial sweetners but don't want the calories that sugar packs.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i finally brought the 2 back to WM.....good for me....i'm so lazy at cooking lol

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snipandsave View Post
    do you know of any reliable brands? Isn't it supposed to be calorie free? I don't believe in using artificial sweetners but don't want the calories that sugar packs.
    yes, the brand called NOW makes Stevia Balance packets that can be used to sweeten beverages. I bought mine in a health food store. I really do not trust the grocery stores anymore unless I first read the side panel of the product and check for no added ingredients ( like that dreaded maltodextrin! )
    You are correct Stevia should have zero calories, so if you see calories on the info panel, it is not pure Stevia.
    On this box of NOW that I have it says a serving is a full package but I would recommend trying just 1/2 sachet because it is just that sweet, a little goes a long way.
    Personally I only bought the box of packets for my DD as DH and I drink our tea and coffee black.
    You can also get this brand of Stevia in a liquid form, almost is like a clear syrup, but again 1 drop is very powerful, so just stir in 1 drop and taste, then add 1 more until it is right for you.
    Shwa Girl and snipandsave like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

yes, the brand called NOW makes Stevia Balance packets that can be used to sweeten beverages. I bought mine in a health food store. I really do not trust the grocery stores anymore unless I first read the side panel of the product and check for no added ingredients ( like that dreaded maltodextrin! )
    You are correct Stevia should have zero calories, so if you see calories on the info panel, it is not pure Stevia.
    On this box of NOW that I have it says a serving is a full package but I would recommend trying just 1/2 sachet because it is just that sweet, a little goes a long way.
    Personally I only bought the box of packets for my DD as DH and I drink our tea and coffee black.
    You can also get this brand of Stevia in a liquid form, almost is like a clear syrup, but again 1 drop is very powerful, so just stir in 1 drop and taste, then add 1 more until it is right for you.
    walkonby.
    Aaaaarghhhhh! I bought the wrong stuff.
    President's Choice had their own brand and discontinued where I shop.

Is there something you like at Bulk Barn? Thanks much.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Shwa I cannot remember now if the BB carries the good stuff, but it is very very easy to just read the side panel of whatever is there. It must only say Stevia Rebaudiana leaf Extract, and then that inulin stuff is acceptable. Sometimes the liquid form they use an alcohol to mix with it, I think the NOW brand is safe for sure.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Shwa I cannot remember now if the BB carries the good stuff, but it is very very easy to just read the side panel of whatever is there. It must only say Stevia Rebaudiana leaf Extract, and then that inulin stuff is acceptable. Sometimes the liquid form they use an alcohol to mix with it, I think the NOW brand is safe for sure.
    You are so smart. I will look for rebaudiana and inulin on the label. Thx much.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Shwa, don't buy from here because shipping is too high but that should give you an idea of NOW's Stevia products http://www.healthgenesis.com/index.php/search-results/?name=stevia&sku=&x=0&y=0&manu=210

But don't assume ALL NOW products are clean of malto, as you can see, this one isn't http://www.healthgenesis.com/index.php/stevia-extract-packets-original-100-box-code-6957.html

Walkonby is correct but you can't go by the calorie count alone if you're buying packets, reason is packets are so small that it may show 0 calories (because anything below 1 cal = 0 for labelling), but if you read the ingredients there might still be malto or rice whatever.
    Last edited by Tbites; Fri, Jan 18th, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
    walkonby likes this.

Friends don't let friends trade at max value

MY WISHLIST
    RRLF 2014 -> RENEE'S !!! Lactantia butter, Marc Angelo, Casa di Mama

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    You are so smart. I will look for rebaudiana and inulin on the label. Thx much.
    I was in the Bulk Barn again this a.m. and did notice they sell this brand in powder and liquid form.

Shwa Girl likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information