User Tag List

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By imasham

Thread: Buying beef from the farm - 2013 update

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Some regular members of the site will know that I have written a number of times about buying beef directly from the farm (for example see http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/246138-...f-farm-canada/).

I'm excited to report that my wife and I have made our most recent purchase. We bought 1/2 of a cow to stock up from what we originally purchased in the fall of 2011. This time we got 346 pounds for $1,008.55. That works out to an average price of $2.91/lb. The breed was Red Angus.

We tried a few different cuts this year and got a bunch of stewing beef which we didn't get last time. On my blog I've written more details that outlines exactly what we purchased in terms of cuts and quantities. I will share one paragraph that I wrote their: "For a five pound prime rib roast I’d have to pay $34.95 at Sobey’s today. I paid $14.55. How long does it take, and how much effort, for everyone to save $20.40 on a single item using coupons? And now multiply this by the number of times in a week that you eat beef. Doing this is incredibly cost effective and maximizes the bang for your buck. It will make a huge impact on your budget and will do so immediately." We haven't bought any meat from a store (except for pork products and we're looking for a small farm to get a pig) since the original purchase. From October 2011 to November 2012 my inventory count indicates that we used 76 pounds of ground beef (extra lean) which, based on Safeway's pricing today, would have cost nearly $380. We paid $205 based on last year's pricing of $2.70/lb. Our combined average of all beef purchased is now $2.78/lb ($2,553.99 for 919 pounds). If you have not taken advantage of this type of purchase...what are you waiting for? Yes, you may not be able to buy as much as we did but you can get together with 3 or 4 other couples or friends or relatives and split up the purchase.

By chance, while we were out at the farm tonight we met a couple whom we'd referred to the farmer. That couple was picking up their whole cow and I was gratified to see others taking advantage of the fantastic pricing as well as the MUCH healthier meat.

Note...we actually could have received a 5% discount from the farmer. The processor they use took a VERY long time to get things done and get the paperwork back. The cow was actually slaughtered in November but we just got the meat tonight. My wife and I turned down the offer because we didn't want to financially penalize the farmer for the processor's delay. And besides, we consider the farmer our friend and we had lots of meat so we certainly weren't inconvenienced.

Final note...for those interested in the price breakdown, the $1,008.55 was made up of $689.44 to the farmer for the cow and $319.11 to the processor.
    This thread is currently associated with: Safeway, Sobeys
    Last edited by imasham; Thu, Jan 17th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
    mhk likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

The processor is the one that actually cut up the cow? My husband and I have been talking about the idea of buying a cow like this. The hardest part for us would be coming up with that much cash, however. I'm currently only maternity leave, so our budget has little wiggle room and I wouldn't want to take it out of savings.
    Did you have the option to cut it up yourself at all? DH is a certified meat cutter, so that's an area where we probably wouldn't need someone else to do it for us.
    My favorite breed is RESCUED!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Enjoy your beef Imasham nice picture of freezer on your blog. I have purchased beef before and Pork and yes it is costly but wow way back when it was I think 2 bucks a pound so thats a good deal you got.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Melatomica View Post
    The processor is the one that actually cut up the cow? My husband and I have been talking about the idea of buying a cow like this. The hardest part for us would be coming up with that much cash, however. I'm currently only maternity leave, so our budget has little wiggle room and I wouldn't want to take it out of savings.
    Did you have the option to cut it up yourself at all? DH is a certified meat cutter, so that's an area where we probably wouldn't need someone else to do it for us.
    Yes, the processor is the butcher. They do the actual slaughtering in addition to the trimming, cutting, preparing, wrapping, disposal of waste, etc. Of course hunters process their own meat all the time so you could as well if you wanted. I made a quick call to the farm I use and they are happy to sell you a live animal and you are free to take it away and do the processing yourself. They don't permit any animal killing on their farm so you'd need to arrange for that somewhere. Personally I think it may be a big expense for you to do it yourself. As I mentioned, the processor's cost was only $320 for my half. I don't know what resources you have access to so perhaps it may be a viable option for you to arrange transport, slaughtering and cleanup/disposal.

I would strongly suggest that you get together with some other family members or friends (or perhaps some people from this site) and split an animal together. The cost savings alone, not even taking into account the quality of the meat without the additives and hormones, more than make this a worthwhile and significant money saving plan. That last part is actually something I didn't mention in my post. I compared prices of this much more healthy cow to store bought beef which contains growth hormones, antibiotics, etc. The comparison is most definitely not apples to apples. The next time you're in Safeway or elsewhere take a look at what they charge for that same type of additive free beef and you'll find the cost staggeringly higher over "regular" beef.
    Last edited by imasham; Mon, Jan 21st, 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

My brother suggested getting a quarter hind as it eliminates the not so good cuts...do you know if the farmer sell it like that? Once our kitchen reno is done I plan to do this.

I also want to get farm chickens and start buying fresh veggies from the farmers market in the summer as if we do not support our local farmers we won't have them.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kelkens View Post
    My brother suggested getting a quarter hind as it eliminates the not so good cuts...do you know if the farmer sell it like that? Once our kitchen reno is done I plan to do this.

I also want to get farm chickens and start buying fresh veggies from the farmers market in the summer as if we do not support our local farmers we won't have them.
    I can't speak specifically for the farm I get my cow from but I believe they would prefer to sell at least a half. Having said that they do sell individual cuts to people at a slightly higher rate than buying in bulk but still far, far less than the typical retail cost of hormone and antibiotic free beef.

I also buy chickens from the same farm although the rate I've paid was higher than most stores. I was willing to pay more for three reasons: 1) overall, with the cost of beef and chicken together I'm still saving (ie the savings from the beef offset the higher chicken costs), 2) the chickens I'm buying are free to live and move around the barn and yard and don't live their lives in a tiny cage just waiting to be slaughtered, and 3) I really enjoy the feeling that comes from knowing I'm supporting a local farmer.

I don't quite get the same warm fuzzies over vegetables. While buying local certainly is better for people (you can purchase fresh rather than stuff picked many days ago) and the environment (much less trucking) the prices are not quite at the same level. In my experience they have been overpriced when compared to store bought. My approach to this has been to slowly start growing my own. I grow peas every year now along my back fence because they are just so darn easy. I plant 100 to 150 plants in the spring and don't have to do anything until harvest in the fall. A couple of hours of shelling while watching a movie and another two to blanch and freeze. I want to grow lots of tomatoes but I haven't had a lot of success. I've been trying to grow from seed rather than going to the expense of buying bedding plants. More practice required. I'm planning to buy a greenhouse this spring which will go in my backyard.
    Last edited by imasham; Sat, Jan 26th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

wow, i'm sure i could buy a half cow and cut myself at home. (i'm a hunter and cut deer myself....) could save some money.

Thread Information