User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: QOTD: Happy Family Day!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Questions about your family growing up:

1. What character or personality qualities do you have of your mom? of your dad?
    2. Are there physical characteristics that run in your family?
    3. Do/did you know your grandparents? Your great-grandparents?
    4. How many aunts and uncles do you have on your mother's side? On your father's side?
    5. Were you close with aunts/uncles and cousins?

6. What was your family house like when you were growing up? Did you have your own room?
    7. Were there special items there which you remember?
    8. Did you have family chores?
    9. What did your family do for fun?
    10. What was the best thing about your family?

This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

1. What character or personality qualities do you have of your mom? of your dad?

I have my moms spirit of fun and the love of dancing, animals, humor and cooking. From my dad, I have common sense (thank god one of my parents had that ), money smarts and an entrepreneurial type mind.

Yep, I have thin, fine hair like my dad had, and I have the exact same face that my mom had. When I look back at the last few pictures I have of her, my facial characteristics are so similar, I think I would looked exactly like she did had she lived to my age.

My great grand parents dies at Auschwitz, along with my grandfather on my moms side, so I didn't know them. My babcia died when I was only 6 so I don't remember her, but I do remember my mom saying she died of a broken heart, so sad. I knew my grandparents on my dads side somewhat, but we didn't visit them often. I am very close with my grandchildren for that reason. I want them all to know us and we want to play a big part in their lives

4. How many aunts and uncles do you have on your mother's side? On your father's side?

Mom's side, had 2 aunts and 1 uncle. Sophie dies at age 4, and the other aunt and uncle both passed in the late 30's from cancer. On my dads side, I have 2 aunts and 3 uncles. Both aunts have passed, both from cancer, and 1 uncle also passed from same.. grrrr 2 uncles still alive and I email with them weekly, they are very important to me.

I'm close with all my cousins, all 36 of them, and their families. I'm also close to the 2 remaining uncles I have. I think family is very important.

6. What was your family house like when you were growing up? Did you have your own room?

When I lived with my mom (my parents divorced when I was 4), I shared a room with my sister. My mom worked really hard but it was tough to support 3 kids on your own. When she got cancer money was even tighter and the 3 of us shared a room and my younger brother had his own room (we had to move to a cheaper place). When my mom passed and we went to live with my dad, my sister always shared a room.

Yep, I still have it. My mom won me a bear at a fair one time, I think I was about 3 or 4, and I've had it ever since. It's lost an eye, and ear, and is almost bald around his head, but I love him dearly...hmm, I never thought of this before, but he/she doesn't even have a name

Of coarse, didn't everyone? Dishes, cooking (my dad and stepmom both worked and we were old enough to do it) and on Saturday mornings, it was cleaning day and we always had to help.

We always went camping in the summer, it was my favorite thing to do...still is but we do it much differently now.

About my family, hmmm, the best thing is how close we are. With my daughters, it's great to know that they can, and will tell me anything. They have come to me for advise on many things, sometimes things I will question as to why they didn't ask a girlfriend about. My grandchildren of coarse, are the lights of our lives. And the thing I really like is that we have raised our daughters with family values. Every single one of them sits down to dinner at the table, no TV's, phones or radios. It was always my favorite time of day to catch up on what everyone was/is doing and they all still do that with their own families. People are so very busy nowadays, that it's so easy to just grab some food and head to another room, never leaving time for meaningful conversation.

Great Family Day questions Nat. Happy Family Day everyone!

http://www.ourspacer.com/images/grap...family-day.gif
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Mon, Feb 18th, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

- fun
    - thin
    - yes
    - my mother's side: 3; my father's side: 4
    - I'm close with all my cousins
    - Sorry, I do not have private rooms
    - Oh....I'm thinking
    - Of course
    - Watching TV
    - My family is very happy

Last edited by ooliver186; Sat, Mar 9th, 2013 at 01:58 AM.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

My mom could be very outspoken, sometimes to the point of being hurtful. I try to be mindful of that when I give an opinion. I get paying attention to detail from my dad.

Turning gray at a very young age comes from mom`s side. I started at the age of 18.

I knew mom`s parents. Wasn`t close to them. Dad`s father died when I was 6 months old but I knew my grandmother.

On mom`s side 3 aunts, 1 uncle. They are all gone except my youngest aunt. On dad`s side 2 uncles, 4 aunts. Mom`s oldest sister married dad`s oldest brother.

Was close to a few cousins growing up but now I rarely see them. One aunt and uncle moved to Tenn when I was a kid so we would visit every few years but haven`t done that since I`m an adult.

Didn`t have my own room til I was 17, always had to share with my sister even when there were extra rooms.

Mom had a china cabinet that I loved as a kid. When she downsized I bought it and it`s now in my kitchen.

Oh yeah. My sister and I did the dishes after every meal. Saturday was cleaning day. My job was dusting furniture and washing the kitchen chairs. When I was older I also helped with cooking and baking. Another job was ironing which I hated. I think that`s why I refuse to buy anything that needs to be ironed.

Sunday afternoon we would make popcorn and play games. Sometimes we could persuade mom to play the mouth organ. (didn`t have a TV or radio)

Even with all our differences and not being close, when we do occasionaly get together we manage to have a good time.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Happy Family Day everyone!
    Last edited by i_forget; Mon, Feb 18th, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Natalka, danger_dan and vesper like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

my dad's passion for the culinary arts and horses
    youthful looks
    yes
    9 from dad's side
    i got many many cousins, none of whom i'm close to.

shared room, noisy and crowded
    no
    yes
    go for drives, shopping centres, holidays
    nobody holds grudges, we're all able to blend as one
    Last edited by frugal50; Tue, Feb 19th, 2013 at 12:39 PM.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Mom - Creativity and independence.
    Dad - Finish what I start and personal responsibility.

Big feet that have health issues and early greying of the hair.... but at least we have hair!
    Mostly
    3 and 4
    Not really
    It was enjoyable! I had my own room most of teh time.
    Yes lots of them.
    Visited places
    They all seem to like each other... except one sister went weird after she joined internet political group that demands members treat people who don't share views like garbage.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

From both - sense of humour, stubborn, responsible, reliable, honesty, punctual
    From Dad - overachiever, eloquent
    From Mom - constancy, creative

I'm a mix of both mom and dad, maybe more favouring my dad. Three of my sisters have my mom's chin, so as they get older they look a lot like her.

Maternal grandmother died in her 50s when I was a toddler. Knew maternal grandfather, though.
    Paternal grandparents - yes, visited with them a lot; grandfather lived with us for a time.
    All grandparents only spoke Ukrainian, so that was a barrier since I wasn't fluent.
    Did not know great grandparents.

Father was an only child.
    Mom had eight siblings - only one youngest brother is left.

Saw them once in a while during the summer, and at weddings and funerals. My mom was the second youngest in her family, and I was the same in ours, so lots of cousins were way older than me, so didn't know them well.

Lived in same house from when I was five years old til adult - it was a split-level, lucky to have all that space for so many kids, and a big yard.
    Shared a room - and bed - with my next-oldest sister til I was nine or so, then had my own room.

Mom always had lots of hand-embroidered items around the house, and lots of Ukrainian ceramic pieces - all so lovely!

Lots of them - big house! When little, I remember dusting, doing dishes, shoveling snow, etc. - the chore I hated worst of all was scraping the wax off the kitchen lino - gah, that was hard work!

Sunday afternoon drives - anyone else do this? We'd just drive around the city; in the summer, we'd stop for ice cream.
    Once a year we'd go to the lake about a half hour away for us kids to swim and for us to have a BBQ.
    Usually a trip away each summer for a few days, not far - to visit relatives.
    At home - played games; just talked!

Each of us is so very different, but parents dealt with our strengths while encouraging us.
    Mom and Dad instilled very precious values, traditions, importance of our heritage.
    Mom was a SAHM after having been a teacher - that was awesome!
    Our family was very close - much closer than a lot (I didn't know that at the time) - which proved to be very valuable once our parents were gone.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i'm not close to any of my sisters

my relationship with my oldest sister is pretty removed, superficial at best

the next sister, just got back from a two week vacay.... haven't heard from her, which isn't unusal since we're not close either

the youngest sister, feels obligated to keep in touch from time to time
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Here's hoping I took the best characteristics of both.

We're a funny bunch. For example, some have nice hair, some have hair that is a pain to style.

Grandparents - yes. My birthday is the same as one of my grandmothers. So I was their "birthday present"

Mother's side - average family side. Father's side - Oh la la. Boys galore and a couple of girls.

Funny. Closer to cousins. Never thought about it or why this is so?

House was a fun place, I remember. Own room as a teen.

Nice climbing tree. Nice garden full of veggies - fertilized by the numerous gold fish burials (Zellers purchases)

Stood on a chair to do dishes.

Laugh a lot.

Hard question. Guess looking back, comparing to our friends and relatives, think we turned out o.k. (knock on wood).

Good questions.
    Natalka, danger_dan and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

Mom - my anxiety, unfortunately... dad- stubborn
    nose, blue eyes *from grandfather,
    I knew both of my grandmothers, and 1 of my great-grandfathers
    Mom has 1 sister, dad has 1 sister
    I've always been very close to my mums sister. I hardly know my fathers sister TBH.
    I shared a bunkbed/room with my sister.. In the early years I shared with my brother and my sister had her own room.
    The log fireplace and maple tree I used to climb...
    Yes - grass mowing, dishes etc
    Skiing, the town fair, went for walks in the woods behind our house, sledding
    I wish I could answer this but... I grew up in a house were yelling was the norm, and a divorce eventually followed.

Natalka, danger_dan, ticul and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

People tell me I look more like my mom then I do my dad. I'm also built a little more like her too, smaller in stature, not as stocky as my dad.
    I do have my dad's patience/temper...it take a whole hell of a lot to piss me off...but watch out when the temper flares!

Female pattern baldness...now worries for me though...
    salt and peppers on the male side...we'll see how my highlights come in...

Unfortunately never met either of my grand fathers, mom's mom still quite well. Got to know dad's mom well enough before she passed.

Mom's side - 2 and 2, one each older and younger; Dad's side - 2 and 2 as well, all older

Were close when I was young, not so much now.

Great household growing up, still is great. Family dinners together every night, we still try and do this whenever we're all close enough to get together. Had my own room, still do at their place

My room is still as I left it...not messy or dust...just the same. My artwork is still all around the house too.

Yup.

Anything and everything together.

Their mine!
    frugal50 and vesper like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got in a bit of trouble for deleting my original post, so I will do it again.

My mom is stubborn and will not admit that she is wrong, I can be like that.
    My dad was very indulgent, I can be like that from time to time.

Dark blond hair and dark brown eyebrows.

Grandparents yes, and my Grandmothers dad....he lived to be like 104

None on my moms, my dad had 2 brothers.

No

Lived in a few different places. I always had my own room.

No

Yes

They put the fun in dysfunctional!
    Last edited by i_forget; Tue, Feb 19th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Natalka, Crochetlady and vesper like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    They put the fun in dysfunctional!
    Yahoo!!! Imagine what life was like for your kin-folk back in the days of 1 room houses and 8 kids and no TV or internet!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yahoo!!! Imagine what life was like for your kin-folk back in the days of 1 room houses and 8 kids and no TV or internet!!!
    They started wars and drank beer lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information