User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Have you ever used Coconut Oil?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Well I did saute the sliced mushrooms ( about 3 cups worth) in 3 tblsp coconut oil....made them separately in 3 batches because my favourite pan for saute is small. I could just eat them out of a bowl like a snack, but instead spread them throughout my green salad. What a great flavour!
    Angela273 and hollyquaiscer like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I have been using coconut oil for over a year now, since being on a very strict diet for Crohn's. Apparently, it is the only oil (besides butter) that does not turn into a carcinogen when heated. All the other oils take on carcinogenic properties. My fiance and I only cook with coconut oil and butter. I also make coconut milk for my coffee. Please note, that if you do not like the "coconut" taste, what we do is buy the (no flavour coconut oil) at the health store. It's fantastic! No coconut taste at all, but all the good properties of it! We usually cook our eggs and steak, etc., with half coconut oil and half real butter. Olive oil is perfect on salads, but not for frying with. Also, coconut oil helps people with digestive problems. I also use coconut oil as a face moisturizer at bedtime and use it as a once-weekly hair conditioner. You put it all through your hair and comb it through. Then put a towel over your pillow and keep the oil on all night. It makes your hair so soft and conditioned!!! I love it!!!
    Last edited by Fibrana; Tue, Feb 12th, 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

The coconut oil, organic, extra virgin that I get from Costco doesn't impart any coconut flavor into the foods you use it or cook with. I don't think I'd like to pay more at a health food store for an oil that they have again tampered with to remove flavor from. If you purchase a good oil, it won't leave any flavor.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

holly?? Is that one cold pressed? There was a recommendation about that being important in one of the posts, but the oil I got was organic, but scooped out of a tub, so probably not cold pressed. I am now on a mission to find cold pressed extra virgin organic coconut oil.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My wife uses this for everything! She uses it for cooking, baking, and on her skin...she swears by it for dry/cracked feet.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    holly?? Is that one cold pressed? There was a recommendation about that being important in one of the posts, but the oil I got was organic, but scooped out of a tub, so probably not cold pressed. I am now on a mission to find cold pressed extra virgin organic coconut oil.
    Yeppers

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dr. Oz highlighted the benefits of red palm oil in January. He said that he was very surprised that it is way better for you than coconut oil. Use it in the same ways as coconut oil. I haven't bought it yet, but I put it on my list.
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Great thread! I started using coconut oil last year. I am not a fan of coconut in general (except for a couple of coconut sweets and the occasional coconut shrimp ) but decided to try it because of the health benefits I read about. The one I bought is very mild. I've used it for stir-fry and it worked great. I also spread it in its semi-solid state on toast like butter. As someone else mentioned, I also find it a bit pricey, although I bought mine on well.ca and the reviews I read before buying said it was a good price. The brand is Nutiva - it's organic and cold-pressed. Oh, and I have also used for skin care (hands only, so far)

What is the brand that Costco carries?

Silk
    Last edited by Silk; Sat, Feb 16th, 2013 at 03:25 AM.
    Have a great life!

Trading Score
    139 (100%)

Wow! Great thread, thanks!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    ~ Becky ~

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

costco now has a Kirkland version, 10.99 for a big jar......super deal!!
    organic, virgin....didn't read any more so not sure it if is cold pressed....
    They also carry two others....Carrington Farms, organic, virgin, cold pressed, 1.5kg 15.99...ohh, it says extra virgin on the pack label...wonder why that is not on the front..
    there was another one too.....it was more expensive and i did not read the label
    Right now i have the Carrington one, it's yummy!!
    Silk, hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

yeah I overpaid @ healthy Planet $18.99 for 893 ml.....Ecoideas brand....Ingredients say Organic Pure raw coconut oil. Front label says Virgin, centrifuge extracted. Hexane and GMO free....wow all that! Now I feel more confused. lol

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I haven't tried coconut oil in my food but I use it to moisturise and condition my hair. I've heard just eating a few tablespoons of it a day helps your digestive system.
    hollyquaiscer and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i'm tempted to buy some after seeing this thread!

just wondering if anyone has tried brands that you find in the south asian food section/stores?
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by itchy54 View Post
    costco now has a Kirkland version, 10.99 for a big jar......super deal!!
    organic, virgin....didn't read any more so not sure it if is cold pressed....
    They also carry two others....Carrington Farms, organic, virgin, cold pressed, 1.5kg 15.99...ohh, it says extra virgin on the pack label...wonder why that is not on the front..
    there was another one too.....it was more expensive and i did not read the label
    Right now i have the Carrington one, it's yummy!!
    purchased the Carringtons one, it's really good. I'm going to bring a bunch back from Texas with me because it's cheaper down here.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I use it for almost everything now, I need to make a trip back to Costco soon, need coconut oil and halibut....now 2 of my favorite things...together

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information