User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By couponmummy

Thread: Rice Cooker Advice

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

Hi Ladies!!

I'm looking for your knowledge, insight and advice! My hubby and I have decided its time we purchase a rice cooker (with a steamer inside). We did some online research and found that Tiger and Panasonic were amongst the best brands. Since the Panasonic was more affordable, we went to futureshop last night and purchased it. It is the fuzzy technology 5 cup with steamer.

We tried it and found that the rice was a bit burnt on the bottom. Nothing major, like we typically experience on the stove, but we expected a little more perfection.

Anyone have experience with rice cookers? Brands? Any advice on how to not have the burnt on the bottom next time? More water? We are not opposed to returning this (futureshop has a satisfaction guaranteed return policy) and purchasing a different model.

I appreciate the info!!! xo Erica
    This thread is currently associated with: Future Shop
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Trading Score
    23 (100%)

I have the Black&Decker one, love it.
    When the rice is cooked, it puts itself on "keep warm".
    The only times I had a bit of golden at the bottom was when I made the maximum amount and let it a long time on keep warm.
    I was nowhere near burned, just dark beige-golden.

Trading Score
    107 (100%)

interesting! we did make the max amount. I'll ask DH how long he left it on warm. Thanks wellan!
    Must have a U.S. itunes account to choose a free product on Poshmark: New Accounts Only:
    1) Download the app called Poshmark 2) While creating a new account, enter the invite code: JAAZH (it will be the last box to fill) 3) $10 in credit will added to your account (Shipping is $0.99 during your first day on the app!) Pick a product that is $9.00 or less and your total will be:$0.00

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

My DD likes using the rice cooker when she's making her own meal, but I like cooking rice on the stove top. I let it cook for half an hour on low heat after the water is evaporated so there is a toasty crust, I put water in it after scooping out the rice, let it boil, put in rice bowl and eat it like that. So tasty and yummy. In chinese, it's called "noung jouck", loosely translated to "crusty congee".
    Silk and ericaraina like this.

Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I have the Black&Decker one, just like Wellan. I've been using it weekly for four years now and it hasn't given out yet!

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellan View Post
    I have the Black&Decker one, love it.
    When the rice is cooked, it puts itself on "keep warm".
    The only times I had a bit of golden at the bottom was when I made the maximum amount and let it a long time on keep warm. I was nowhere near burned, just dark beige-golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericaraina View Post
    interesting! we did make the max amount. I'll ask DH how long he left it on warm. Thanks wellan!
    I think it has more to do with letting it warm too long. It continues to cook when it's on warm from the heat. You can also try removing the liner (that holds the rice) from the unit. I have had my Panasonic r/c for more than 10 years and would not hesitate to buy the brand again if I am looking for another rice cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by couponmummy View Post
    My DD likes using the rice cooker when she's making her own meal, but I like cooking rice on the stove top. I let it cook for half an hour on low heat after the water is evaporated so there is a toasty crust, I put water in it after scooping out the rice, let it boil, put in rice bowl and eat it like that. So tasty and yummy. In chinese, it's called "noung jouck", loosely translated to "crusty congee".
    Couponmummy, I'm interested to know how you heard/learned about this "crusty congee"?

Silk
    Have a great life!

Thread Information