User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By trulyblessed
  • 1 Post By blueeyetea

Thread: Help with US Shipping

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I would like to order some things from the online US Crayola store. They have a much better selection than things I can get here in Canada. The fine print says that I am responsible for checking out what, if any, duties and taxes would apply at the time of delivery.

Anyone have experience with shopping online from a US retailer? How can I find out how much in duties and taxes I might owe?

Thanks in advance!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am probably no help but, in my case it has always been hit & miss....sometimes I get charged and sometimes I don't. I honestly think it depends on who the customs officer is that is handling it and what mood he is in that day LOL I do know if any charges are due, Canada Post charges you 9.95 whether you owe 10 cents or 10 dollars.
    lucy16076 and Mrs H like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You can check out this site from Canadian Border Services Agency. It's pretty straightforward.
    Mrs H likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Thanks to both of you.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

i'm not sure where you are in ontario but I live near a US border and send all my stuff to a kinek location, $5 for them to hold your pkg for up to 30 days. worth it if it would be a lot of duty.. website is kinek DOT com

Trading Score
    129 (100%)

Trulyblessed is right...it's called "officers discretion" not the mood of the day though You may get charged a "brokers fee" for the person to enter the parcel into Canada & pay the taxes on your behalf. There is no duty on anything manufactured within the USA, only HST or GST depending on what the article is. In your case, it would be full HST.
    Hope this helps. I live on a border town so I have my items shipped to a US postal service that will hold it for me where I can pick it up & bring it over the border myself to declare. If you do not have that option, you should bank on paying HST on any goods over $20, and a brokerage fee for them to clear the goods for you.
    Happy shopping!
    Click here under "about me" to view my wish list.
    Visit Swagbucks.com to earn freebies! Click my referral link to get started!

Tangerine bank GIVES YOU $25 cold hard cash for opening an account!
    Use my Orange Key 14220607S1 & it's $25 for me too! NO FEE BANKING!!

Thread Information