User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: how much can you bring back from the states?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm going to the states this week & I can't for the life of me Google how much you can bring back per person, besides liqour/cigarettes & stuff. Just want to know for normal stuff: clothes, shoes, candy. There is 3 of us total. My boyfriend seems to think it makes a difference that his mom has dual citizenship. Does it? & we are going for the day, approximately 8-10 hours. Are you still able to bring any booze?

& is cheese allowed? Yes, right? I've never crossed the border as an adult, shopping wise.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Sir Thrift-A-Lot; Fri, Mar 8th, 2013 at 01:40 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/...rpcrc-eng.html
    Personal exemption amounts

The length of your absence from Canada determines the amount of goods you can bring back, without paying any duties.
    Increased traveller personal exemption limits effective June 1, 2012
    Less than 24 hours Personal exemptions do not apply to same-day cross-border shoppers.
    24 hours or more up to CAN$200
    Alcohol and tobacco cannot be claimed. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. If the value of the goods you have purchased abroad exceeds $200 after a 24 hour absence, duty and taxes are applicable on the entire amount of the imported goods.
    48 hours or more up to CAN$800
    May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. Goods must be in your possession at time of entry to Canada. Travellers absent for periods of 48 hours or more will have the applicable exemption level credited against the total value of goods.
    7 days or more up to CAN$800
    May include alcohol and tobacco products, within the prescribed limits set by provincial or territorial authorities. For the seven-day exemption, goods may be in your possession at time of entry to Canada but are also permitted to follow entry to Canada (such as via courier, mail or delivery agency), except alcohol and tobacco products, which must be in your possession. All the goods will qualify for duty- and tax-free entry if they are declared at the initial return to Canada.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Gosh. I must have been tired when I Googled this last night. I didn't understand it.

Thanks.

Thread Information