User Tag List

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree1457Likes

Thread: Discuss New Rules for Package Trains & Win a Gift Card :)

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

I ran it last year and I think there was a rider that didn't have kids but their list consisted of these items they could use for trains also last years train had a limit of $25 and you could ONLY buying school related items

Envelopes
    Stamps
    Stickers
    Pens
    Markers
    Tape
    Scissors

Quote Originally Posted by Momto2Ks View Post
    I like some of these ideas. I am trying to figure out a way to run the Back to School Train to allow everyone to participate (whether they have kids or not)
    Last edited by Peachykeen2007; Tue, May 14th, 2013 at 11:20 AM.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Peachykeen2007 View Post
    I don't like the thought of the Elf system, not too sure who these people would be but I am not willing to be apart of it - why do these things have to go to someone outside not riding the train

I know from conducting I have always gotten personal questions or questions that require a immediate response from a rider to ask their buddy and I will forward it
    I agree, it makes more sense to ask the host /conductor rather than someone not involved
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

I think it's important for the conductors to have a little creative license (whether there is a limit to the number of riders, a spending limit, categories of questions etc). Otherwise, where's the fun in conducting? If someone doesn't feel they can manage a lot of riders then it could be up to them to limit it to 10 or 15 or whatever they think they can manage.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PammieD View Post
    I think it's important for the conductors to have a little creative license (whether there is a limit to the number of riders, a spending limit, categories of questions etc). Otherwise, where's the fun in conducting? If someone doesn't feel they can manage a lot of riders then it could be up to them to limit it to 10 or 15 or whatever they think they can manage.
    i agree 100%
    Season 40 Winners At War

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I don't understand how it doesn't give other rider's a chance - I don't think anyone ever thinks that 1 package train will get 40 rider's but that is what happens on some trains as boarding is left open for anyone to join. New rider's that don't meet all the requirements are almost always paired with another new member or one of the seasoned memebers who vouches for them.

We were all new to the package train at some point and unless they want to come out of the hiding and join in the fun not much else can be done, there is many of us that are here to help.

We want new rider's!

Requesting of buddies just needs to be a little more thought out, yes it is nice to save on postage and what not but it is NOT fair that these rider's have NEVER had to send a package out of their own province because they keep requesting the same people where as the majority of us send across the country almost everytime - I don't mind as I already know that postage at its max is $30
    I can't speak for the past few trains but I do remember a few that filled in 24 hours. That was what I was referring to. Also, the amount of chat before the train is even finished boarding. I've had people comment to me that they feel intimidated to join because it seems like the same bunch of riders, who seem to really know each other.

Even conducting seems to be hard. I used to host these package trains and then when all the rules came into play I felt left out. I was set to host a "Christmas in July" train as I did the year before but it got axed. I did a bunch of work and was on final approval when I was told all package trains were cancelled. When they came back, I was overlooked for hosting a few times and was told I'd be contacted. I never was. I have no hard feelings, I know the job is hard and things get overlooked but do I feel like I'm not in the "clique"? Absolutely! And I have one of the highest trade ratings on SC. I can totally imagine how newbies feel.

Again, I'm not placing blame or complaining. Not riding is 100% my choice. I'm just putting my thoughts out there to try and help improve things.

Requesting the same person every time is obviously unfair but I don't think requesting all together should be stopped - again jmo.

As for train sizes, I meant doing a few small trains spread out. Ie, a 15 person max train this week and then maybe another in 2 weeks. Rather than one 30 person train that lasts 5 weeks. If that makes sense.

I do remember seeing smaller trains but they either were limit trains or didn't fit into my schedule, which was why I didn't ride.

I'm just trying to throw ideas out to help. If they aren't what you're looking for that's totally cool.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    104 (100%)

I can see how the package train threads can seem intimidating to newbies. When I first started just reading/watching the package trains threads before I ever joined one, I thought, "hmm, it seems like they all know each other very well". But I decided to join finally and right away, everyone made me feel welcome and part of the family. Everyone is super helpful and supportive. It wasn't intimidating at all once I started and continued to chat with everyone. Yes the number of posts and chatty people on the pkg train threads can seem overwhelming but I think part of the reason why most of them keep riding is because of the "social" factor of these trains. It's been a safe place for many riders, including myself, to be able to open up and discuss very serious life matters/situations and receive awesome advice or support back.

Anyways, my advice to the newbies that are on the fence about joining is to just do it! You won't regret it!

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by meshell View Post
    i can see how the package train threads can seem intimidating to newbies. When i first started just reading/watching the package trains threads before i ever joined one, i thought, "hmm, it seems like they all know each other very well". But i decided to join finally and right away, everyone made me feel welcome and part of the family. Everyone is super helpful and supportive. It wasn't intimidating at all once i started and continued to chat with everyone. Yes the number of posts and chatty people on the pkg train threads can seem overwhelming but i think part of the reason why most of them keep riding is because of the "social" factor of these trains. It's been a safe place for many riders, including myself, to be able to open up and discuss very serious life matters/situations and receive awesome advice or support back.

Anyways, my advice to the newbies that are on the fence about joining is to just do it! You won't regret it!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    180 (100%)

I agree with Pammie on the conductor being able to set the rider limit, I do not like the idea of a random generator picking riders.

I also agree with Peachy on the elf system, I do not like it at all and it would deter me from riding/conducting. The trains seem to be running just fine right now with people asking questions in the thread and if there is one or two buddies who aren't answering then the conductor could send a message to those not answering with specific questions.

I also agree that there is lots of room for old and new riders and it is up to the new rider to take the leap and jump on a train, they will quickly see that it's not scary at all

Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Being a fairly new rider, it is kind of scary. At first I only answered the questions and didn't want to participate more because I don't know everyone that well. Those of you who trade, ride trains etc more than I do probably "know" everyone pertty well. I think being active on here is important, and I have tried to branch out to other areas than the train threads. But it really just takes riding once to want to do it again. I follow the packages even when I'm not riding it, to keep up with the friends I've made.

Small or big, doesn't matter. But that said, I do like to have time to do some proper shopping! Two weeks from posting to mail date is pretty close, I much prefer a bit more time to shop, especially since it takes a bit to get your buddy, then plan the shopping. I do a lot online and it can add in time. The bigger trains do make it harder to guess who has you, who has who, and that makes it a little exciting too. But smaller is nice, a little more familiar.

Either way, I'm just glad I get the chance to ride them!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    104 (100%)

With me and the whole questions thing, I've asked a more "general" buddy questions in the thread to everyone.....but if my buddy didn't reply with the answer I was looking for or be really specific about it, I've then messaged the conductor to ask my buddy the question in a more specific way. The conductor always replied back to me as quickly as they could. That always worked well for me...

Trading Score
    513 (100%)

and I totally understand BHL - I am just trying to help you see the other side as honestly Jezebel has gotten enough crap with what people want so she changes it to please these people and guess what - those people either don't ride or complain even more

There is no "clique" - and if there is I am unaware of it - YES there is members that ride every single train but that is because they love doing so and they can, I don't ride every train

As for conducting it is not up to me - I am just merely here to assist anyone that needs helps as Jezebel can't be around 24/7

We or I believe have tried over and over and over to fix the issues but with every little change there is someone else that is not happy, we can't please them all it seems

All I know is that there is nothing wrong with the package trains, maybe some tweaking on the rules/regulations but no one should feel intimidated in joining - can't learn something new without trying it first

Trading Score
    408 (100%)

"What she said!" Lol

Quote Originally Posted by slambert View Post
    I agree with Pammie on the conductor being able to set the rider limit, I do not like the idea of a random generator picking riders.

I also agree with Peachy on the elf system, I do not like it at all and it would deter me from riding/conducting. The trains seem to be running just fine right now with people asking questions in the thread and if there is one or two buddies who aren't answering then the conductor could send a message to those not answering with specific questions.

I also agree that there is lots of room for old and new riders and it is up to the new rider to take the leap and jump on a train, they will quickly see that it's not scary at all
    Agreed re elf system 100%, random generator, people not answering questions, and new riders joining in.

I do think it's very helpful to have the conductor (or even a rider that doesn't mind helping) keep a post with a "master list" of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain_hunter_lola View Post
    I can't speak for the past few trains but I do remember a few that filled in 24 hours. That was what I was referring to. Also, the amount of chat before the train is even finished boarding. I've had people comment to me that they feel intimidated to join because it seems like the same bunch of riders, who seem to really know each other.

Even conducting seems to be hard. I used to host these package trains and then when all the rules came into play I felt left out. I was set to host a "Christmas in July" train as I did the year before but it got axed. I did a bunch of work and was on final approval when I was told all package trains were cancelled. When they came back, I was overlooked for hosting a few times and was told I'd be contacted. I never was. I have no hard feelings, I know the job is hard and things get overlooked but do I feel like I'm not in the "clique"? Absolutely! And I have one of the highest trade ratings on SC. I can totally imagine how newbies feel.

Again, I'm not placing blame or complaining. Not riding is 100% my choice. I'm just putting my thoughts out there to try and help improve things.

Requesting the same person every time is obviously unfair but I don't think requesting all together should be stopped - again jmo.

As for train sizes, I meant doing a few small trains spread out. Ie, a 15 person max train this week and then maybe another in 2 weeks. Rather than one 30 person train that lasts 5 weeks. If that makes sense.

I do remember seeing smaller trains but they either were limit trains or didn't fit into my schedule, which was why I didn't ride.

I'm just trying to throw ideas out to help. If they aren't what you're looking for that's totally cool.
    I agree with pretty much all of the above.

Possible "solutions" or things that would help...
    Periodically having "newbie/veteran mixer" trains. Like maybe every few months, have a train promoted for newer riders. Spell everything out, post examples of a wishlist, examples of a package from past trains (not someone that's sent a completely overboard "spoiling" package, but one that's more average of what would be expected. Make It less intimidating by having categories for wishes (like on the pampered ladies train...need to have one wish from each section). And I think to help new riders out, we could buddy each new rider up with a "vet" so if they need any help they could ask their "vet"...I know I asked pumpkin and a coupke others A LOT of questions when I rode my first train.

Quote Originally Posted by MeShell View Post
    With me and the whole questions thing, I've asked a more "general" buddy questions in the thread to everyone.....but if my buddy didn't reply with the answer I was looking for or be really specific about it, I've then messaged the conductor to ask my buddy the question in a more specific way. The conductor always replied back to me as quickly as they could. That always worked well for me...
    "What she said"

My personal experience conducting the VDay train this year...I purposely partnered people closer together geographically so that it would cost less to mail because a lot of us were feeling "poor" after xmas.

Some people did request other riders, but I a) made no promises, b) never told anyone who was requested or not. No hurt feelings that way. I also made sure that nobody was sending to anyone that they'd sent to recently...like last 2-3 trains at least. As far as I know, there were no hurt feelings or issues with that.

K, that's all I've got.

PammieD out!

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

and I totally understand BHL - I am just trying to help you see the other side as honestly Jezebel has gotten enough crap with what people want so she changes it to please these people and guess what - those people either don't ride or complain even more

There is no "clique" - and if there is I am unaware of it - YES there is members that ride every single train but that is because they love doing so and they can, I don't ride every train

As for conducting it is not up to me - I am just merely here to assist anyone that needs helps as Jezebel can't be around 24/7

We or I believe have tried over and over and over to fix the issues but with every little change there is someone else that is not happy, we can't please them all it seems

All I know is that there is nothing wrong with the package trains, maybe some tweaking on the rules/regulations but no one should feel intimidated in joining - can't learn something new without trying it first
    I'm very sorry Jezebel is getting "crap". I'm not aware of the under-currents or complaints. I have never complained. I realize you can't make everyone happy and so I made the choice not to ride.

I just meant to give constructive criticism since I believe that's what the thread was created for.

When the package trains were originally changed, I wasn't fond of some of the changes. I liked the old system. Maybe it's just me being a slow adapter? You like what you're used to and comfortable with - which for me was smaller package trains with more variety in conductors, themes, riders, etc. They used to be a lot like current VWT's - if you don't like a train (for whatever reason), you know another one will be boarding very soon.

I can only imagine the amount of work overseeing these trains takes so I'm not complaining or criticizing. I think Jezebele is amazing!
    missidj, slambert, PammieD and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Ithink I never realized how much there really was to it, I def think the conductor should decide what kind of train how many riders maybe even what questions obviously anyone can ask anything at any time and the conductor would be following the thread and able to set the questions in an early post and answer any buddy questions that didn't get answered via the thread
    I cannot afford to ride these very often but I had fun on this one *still waiting to see how my buddy liked their package* and look forward to riding one again maybe even hosting one in the future I'd have to come up with a good one first
    Jezebel, slambert, bluzsuz and 1 others like this.
    Season 40 Winners At War

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    337 (99%)

I personally don't think anything needs to be changed with regards to package trains! I like the way they are run! I do ride almost every one because I find them fun, enjoy the social aspect to the trains & they are my "guilty pleasure" that I fit into my family's budget. I really hope they continue to run in the future with less stress for Jez!

One idea that came up in this thread that I love is a shoebox train, that sounds like an awesome train
    Last edited by julesie-pie; Tue, May 14th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    RRLF $1 Life Choice, Pampers & Huggies Diapers, Pampers GTG codes

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information