User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Is Common Courtesy Really That Rare???

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

if someone says "gesundheit" after i sneeze, i'd say 'thank you.'
    but if it's "(god) bless you," then i really don't know how to respond to that, mainly because there's a religious reference to it.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I always say "Bless You" when someone sneezes. I have to admit I'm a little offended when no one says it back to me when I sneeze. Co-workers are the worst for not saying it or thanking you when you say it to them. May be silly but that's the way I was raised.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I always say it and expect it to be said to me, too. (Not a big deal if it isn't, though.)

Also, "bless you" comes from the idea that a sneeze is expelling evil in your body. You say it so it doesn't come back in. I don't find it religious. Just an old custom.
    Because of fake prints, stacking manus is no longer allowed
    But you can still stack Coupon Zone + 1x Manu, like other Maxi / Loblaw Stores
    Did You Like Our Service? Make Sure To Submit A Comment Sheet At Our Store!
    Comment Box is located beside the Coin Star Machine.
    Help Me/Us Earn an "A" For Customer Service!

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I always say "bless you" when someone sneezes, not because of the religious aspect (I'm not religious, really) but to be polite. I don't see why anyone would get offended at it either, that's just silly!

I'm trying to raise my boys to hold open doors, say please and thank you, let elders go first, etc. My father is a true gentleman and I wish there were more of him in the world!
    coupon girl, Candini and Shirnette like this.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

Quote Originally Posted by cookoo View Post
    if someone says "gesundheit" after i sneeze, i'd say 'thank you.'
    but if it's "(god) bless you," then i really don't know how to respond to that, mainly because there's a religious reference to it.
    I would say "thank you" and move on
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sheetsofemptycanvas View Post
    I always say "bless you" when someone sneezes, not because of the religious aspect (I'm not religious, really) but to be polite. I don't see why anyone would get offended at it either, that's just silly!
    I'm generally too busy grabbing tissue to pass on than saying anything...I think I've been a mother too long.

I'm trying to raise my boys to hold open doors, say please and thank you, let elders go first, etc. My father is a true gentleman and I wish there were more of him in the world!
    My 3 all do that, girls as well as boy. The girls learnt when I was pushing the younger sibling, lilPenguin has learnt by watching the rest of us.

But I hate faux courtsery. By all means hold the door open if my hands are full or I'm pushing something but pushing past me to open the door simply because I'm female will result in me using another door where possible.Or me saying "after you"..
    Candini likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I raised my kids common courtesy-my son opened the car door for my mom's friend who is 71 a few weeks back -she had said" you don't see that too often anymore" (he is 28)well my mom raised me to be polite and courteous my son-in-law has such polite manners,where as my daughter-in-law doesn't ( I don't fault her for that thou-still love her dearly)-it has to be instilled in you from a young age
    Shirnette likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information