User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By Patty Smyth

Thread: Needed Daffodil Help

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

For the first time, last fall, I purchased daffodil bulbs (50, I think) at Costco. I planted a number of them but, unfortunately, some were left in the paper bag outside all winter.

The good news is: one of the daffodils in the bag actually bloomed. But are the bulbs still good to plant and can I plant them now?

2nd question. The daffodils were lovely but are now starting to die back. I know with tulips that you let them be and just wait until the leaves go totally brown to remove them. Is it the same with daffodils, or can I "dead-head" them?

Although I've been trying to garden for years, I'm really not very well versed in perennials.

3rd. question. I just bought 3 - 12" boxes of planted pansies. The tag on them said sun to half-shade but the lady said just morning sun, which changes my plans of where to put them. Will they bloom all summer? or just now for a while?

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Daffodils ... I dead-head them once they're finished blooming but I leave the leaves alone. Once they turn yellow, then I chop them off. It usually takes awhile so I like to plant them where they will be hidden by summer plants. I have a group of them planted among a bunch of daylilies, it works out great. When the daffys are withering and looking unsightly, then the daylily foliage covers them right up!

As for the tenacious one that was blooming in the bag.. lol... I'd go ahead and plant him and his friends out, but wait til the fall. You just never know

Pansies - I love them and I hate them. They're so cute with their little faces, aren't they? I've had them planted in sun, part sun and full shade. They do well for me anywhere. Don't expect them to look lovely all summer though. I've finally accepted the fact that they're more of a spring/early summer annual. They get too leggy and scraggly looking when it gets deeper into summer. That's why I hate them. If you dead-head them, they'll bloom more and for longer, but if you let a couple of the flowers go to seed, you might get a little surprise next spring. I have a little viola growing on the edge of the lawn that seeded itself last summer. It's so cute. Hmm... maybe I had a little viola... DH mowed the lawn today.... rats.
    avoncallingu and itsmewhoelse like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Pansies hate the heat , they are my favorite flower but I never buy any it's too hot here.
    avoncallingu likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thanks for your help! A little after supper daffodil dead-heading is in order. I think I'll also move the pansies!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Thread Information