User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Not supported at work- very frustrating. (long, sorry :P)

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have been out of high school for about three years now, and have been working mostly hospitality jobs to support myself. Everyone in my life seems to have this perception of me as being very intelligent, a hard worker and full of passion. I feel like I have no focus, am lazy and am going no where.
    I have been working at a bank for the past few months and have gotten to the breaking point. I am sick of dealing with the public. I have a part time job as a server that I LOVE. It's good money, great people and fun! The bank is not so great. My managers are horrible as well.
    What has been bugging me lately is:
    - two months ago I signed up for a volunteer day where my bank would pay employees who wanted to spend their day volunteering for various origination's. I got approval from management and signed up. When the day came I ended up being given that day as my day off. Well this was supposed to be a paid volunteer day. It wasn't me personally going to volunteer, it was the company volunteering. I still went on my day off to do the volunteering that I committed to because spaces were limited so I felt obligated. When I asked about compensation I was shut down and told that because it was my scheduled day off I would not be compensated. My manager said it would have been different had I been scheduled that day but since it was my day off I would not be paid for it. So I worked six days that week for nothing. The manager using this logic (or lack-there-of) is the one who makes the schedule, so it is her fault. It was planned two months ahead of time, more than enough time to schedule appropriately. What should I do? I have already brought it up both to the Assistant Branch Manager and the Branch Manager and told they'd discuss it but have heard nothing back.
    - my Great Grandmother passed away and I am going to her funeral in a different province, and I am scrambling to get a shift covered so I can go because my managers don't care enough to help me out. I know other staff who have left for 5 days because of funerals but for me there is no help.
    - weekends are supposed to be shared so we can all have every third weekend off. Well I've worked the past 10 weekends and nothing seems to be changing there.

I'm so fed up. I'm actually a top performer at my branch and don't feel appreciated AT ALL. I'm 12/297 in my district for my position, I think I deserve at least a little help when trying to get to a funeral!

Definitely going to start looking into school because this is not where I want to end up in life. I deserve a lot more for myself. I hope I can figure out what I want to take! Lol.

How do YOU get through the day when you don't feel respected or supported? I need advice!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    hollyquaiscer and vesper like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I'm sorry about the death of your GG.

Unfortunately because you work in Alberta there are no laws stating you must be given time off for bereavement. It sounds like this company is taking advantage of you and you might be better off getting more shifts as a server and maintaining your happiness. There is no benefit to you to remain in a job where you feel useless and unhappy. Good luck.

I would just tell my employer I am taking x amount of days off to attend the funeral. If they fire you it saves you from quitting
    GoJays and maggie179550 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As I'm sitting here having a beer after my day at work (and I rarely drink), I'm asking myself the same question!!!!

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

unfortunately very few people get shown any appreciation at work...just do your best, and hopefully you can enjoy your work and know you are good at it......i love my job,i know i'm awesome at it
    FallenPixels and xox2010 like this.
    ....just be happy

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Do you have access to the corporate hr website/benefits section? Definitely scope it to see what is available for you.
    As for Alberta employment laws, I have to see if there are personal days available to you. Ontario has such a concept provided that employer has 20 or more employees.

Just had a revelation-banks are federally regulated so federal labour laws apply to you.
    http://humanservices.alberta.ca/work...rta/13715.html
    The exceptions are employers and employees who fall under federal legislation, including employees of the federal government or those in industries such as banking, interprovincial trucking or radio and television. For more information, see Federal Employment Standards.
    http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/em...egulated.shtml

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...4.html#docCont
    Division VIII
    Bereavement Leave
    Marginal note:
    Employee entitled

210. (1) Every employee is entitled to and shall be granted, in the event of the death of a member of his immediate family, bereavement leave on any of his normal working days that occur during the three days immediately following the day of the death.
    Marginal note:
    Bereavement leave with pay

(2) Every employee who has completed three consecutive months of continuous employment by an employer and is entitled to bereavement leave under subsection (1) is entitled to such leave with pay at his regular rate of wages for his normal hours of work, and such pay shall for all purposes be deemed to be wages.
    Marginal note:
    Regulations

(3) The Governor in Council may make regulations

(a) defining the expression “immediate family” for the purposes of subsection (1);

(b) defining the expressions “regular rate of wages” and “normal hours of work” for the purposes of subsection (2); and

(c) for the purposes of this Division, defining the absences from employment that shall be deemed not to have interrupted continuity of employment.
    Marginal note:
    Application of section 189

(4) Section 189 applies for the purposes of this Division.
    1977-78, c. 27, s. 20; 1980-81-82-83, c. 47, s. 27.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd recommend that OP see if there are behind-the-scenes career opportunities within the bank so as to preserve the income stream if dropping the job is not financially viable. But it might be so worth it to give the management team some direct criticism to vent off!
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm very sorry about your grand mother!!

Truth is, work is going to suck at first, until you get your chance to do something you really really LOVE and enjoy. BUt even then, it becomes work at some point.

Being in Calgary, you have access to all sorts of great jobs, never be afraid to apply for jobs you might not qualify for.

Surprise! But the folks who work the hardest, are depended upon most... rarely get appreciated. Just the way it is.

Do you know, what you would like to be doing?

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Sadly..I've never come across an employer who would give paid or unpaid leave for the funeral of a great grandmother.

In Europe USA and Canada it's frequently 1 day leave for a grandparent or uncle/aunt. 3 Days for a parent or sibling.. and a WHOLE freaking week for a spouse or child..

Screwed Up Prorities R Us.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Just look at how you are treated and see if you want to work the rest of your life in that environment.. if not.. change now.. its harder to do it once you stay too long.. a friend of mine is fairly high up in Ford management..s he has great pay, great perks but she is mega stressed out.. the repressed frustration from work is affecting her quality of life at home..
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I must be missing something (which isn't unusual for me ) If you had asked permission to do the day of volunteering with pay and it was your day off so you didn't get paid, I understand, but what I don't get is when you said " So I worked six days that week for nothing" You did get paid for the other 5 days you worked didn't you?

I feel for you, being in a job you really dislike. So many people are in that situation. I was one of the fortunate few who loved their job. I still wish to this day that I was able to be back at school and resume my job. As for you my dear, you are still so young. Decide what it is that you really want to do and go for it. Nothing is worse than being stuck in a job you hate, and when you get into that rut, it only goes in a circle. It's the proverbial I'll wait and see what happens, then it's the I've been here so long I don't want to start over, and it just keeps going. I have a friend in this position and it's been going on now for over 22 years, now it's the, well, I'm to old.

Soooo, do yourself a big favor and do what YOU want to do. Not what your family, friends or anyone else thinks you should be doing. Do it for you! Unfortunately in most companies, those who deserve the most, get the least, as is in your case. And if you love serving people, then do it. You are the one that needs to be happy.

I wish you well in whatever endeavor you choose, and I hope your day is absolutely amazing.
    xox2010, walkonby and smileyKT like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Find an alternative to work...

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Sorry about your Great Grandmother. Some people who have power just love making other people miserable. Look for a job that will make you happy.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I felt bad for you, like holly and others say, you really are still young enough to choose some other work that you love, yes, do it sooner rather than later.
    hollyquaiscer and MillieH like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm sorry your dealing with this. I would quit the bank job and find a job that makes you happy. Maybe you could pick up extra shifts at the restaurant? Or apply for second part time job at another restaurant? Do what makes you happy. If you decide to attend school, pick a career you will be happy with. Do it for yourself and nobody else

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone for the support. I am realizing you have one life, and it certainly goes by fast. I need to make some serious changes and start living the life I want!
    hollyquaiscer and vesper like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information