User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: People selling Expired Car Seat on Kijiji

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by francine1985 View Post
    That's a lot of car seats... I'm guessing they picked them up free during thebig garbage collection and that's even worse IMO. They would have no idea of the history of the seats. I threw out my expired car seat and a broken umbrella stroller. Both were gone within an hour... the stroller was taken by our neighbors (I see it outside every time I walk by) I am hoping they are using it as a toy/doll stroller. No idea who took the car seat but hopefully they don't sell or use it. (For a car seat anyway I'm sure it would still be fine for an infant carrier)
    Always remove the cover and CUT all the straps on a car seat that is expired or unsafe when throwing it away! Also, put it in a black garbage bag so no one can tell what it is. My in-laws "rescued" a car seat from the trash for me one time. It was expired. They were well meaning, but uninformed.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by RSAS View Post
    Always remove the cover and CUT all the straps on a car seat that is expired or unsafe when throwing it away! Also, put it in a black garbage bag so no one can tell what it is. My in-laws "rescued" a car seat from the trash for me one time. It was expired. They were well meaning, but uninformed.
    when im done with my next 2 (ds1 and ds2 each have one) I will definitely cut the straps before i get dh to take them out... cant do the black garbage bag thing though we only have see through blue and green bags here.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

My DH's parents are very, old country Polish. (Sorry, not being offensive.)

They got a car seat from a friend of their's and I swear it must have been from the early 90's.

We tried explaining that car seats expire and that it wasn`t safe. They had no clue what we were talking about.
    super_e likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

That is not good.

Maybe a reminder for when we throw out used, expired baby gear to cut out the strap to be certain no one accidentally starts using the items. Toss out cribs broken down and without the hardware.
    Try and throw out all items in an incomplete state so no one can use them.
    xox2010 likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    154 (100%)

That is HORRIBLE. I personally would never buy a used carseat, I don't think it is worth the risk. Like others have said you never know if it has been in an accident. I wouldn't have ever know they expired until I started having kids.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

basically if they sold the seat expired and the parents were in an accident ICBC would not replace or pay for damages (if your kid god forbid was to get very hurt you would have to pay for it) BUT you could go after the seller for knowingly not disclosing this info
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was rear ended a couple of years ago at a low speed and they replaced my car seats. These seats are made from moulded plastic and even a slight impact can cause the seats to have minor and non-visible fractures which compromise the integrity of the seat. Crap, I could drop it and do enough damage to render it not safe.
    Glad those ads are down.

Car seats should NEVER be bought used.
    loftywater and Mrs.Roberts like this.
    Love like crazy everyday and smile.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Yes... car seats now need to be 2012 compliant to be sold. At a community garage sale about a month ago, I saw a woman selling an Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 car seat for $75! I was surprised by its price tag as I walked past, fully aware of the fact that my kids' car seats will have to go in the garbage when we're finished with them. Then, a woman was interested in it, and offered her $50! The seller started talking about how it was worth $75, because it was manufactured in 2008 and would last 10 years. She also told her it was worth over $300 new. The woman offered $60, and the seller refused. I don't know what came of that exchange, but the car seat was essentially worthless, as there's no way a 2008 car seat would be 2012 compliant! I wouldn't say it was necessarily unsafe, but asking $75 for any used car seat seems greedy when a person can buy one for a little over $100.
    loftywater likes this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

People seems to not care about that and sell thing to make money that it...not very agree if a child will be in warning because of that if the person dont check the dates...I will never buy a carseat on kijiji...
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think it should be noted that much of the reason why pre-2012 seats cannot be posted on Kijiji and other such sites is because Transport Canada said that as of January 2012 the infant seats need to accommodate heavier babies. As a precautionary policy and to avoid any lawsuits, the sites made the decision to disallow the posting of pre-2012 seats. The pre-2012 seats are still good as long as they are not past the expiry date indicated by the manufacturer and have not been in an accident.
    Insane likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

And it's now illegal to sell, give away, trade, donate, etc. a non-2012-compliant car seat. While the seat isn't necessarily unsafe, if a child using the seat was hurt in an accident, the person who passed the car seat on could be sued.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (100%)

I believe it is illegal to sell a car seat that is not manufactured to current CSA standards. New laws went into effect last year that made changes to weight restrictions, so any car seat manufactured before those changes can be used by the original owner but cannot be sold. And I know there are lots of people out there who think that car seat expiries don't really mean anything and are only a way for companies to make more money: as I chemist, I can tell you, without a doubt, that the plastics in car seats do degrade over time and can fail in an accident causing injury or death. Also, if you are caught using an expired car seat and you get into an accident, don't expect anything from your insurance company. If you are in an accident with a car seat in your car, insist that the insurance company buy a replacement; if they refuse, ask them to send a signed letter stating that they refuse to replace the seat and will accept any responsibility should the seat fail in a future accident. Sorry, I could go on; car seats are a bit of thing of mine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information