User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Help choosing a new bank

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lindz13, have you considered Gail Vaz-Oxlade's advice to keep all your accounts at different banks? For example, have your bank account at one bank, your credit card at another. For your credit card, some offer low interest rates for 6 months to transfer your balance. I'm currently looking into closing my RBC Visa, and found other banks offering no fee - low interest rate cards.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    157 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Lindz13, have you considered Gail Vaz-Oxlade's advice to keep all your accounts at different banks? For example, have your bank account at one bank, your credit card at another. For your credit card, some offer low interest rates for 6 months to transfer your balance. I'm currently looking into closing my RBC Visa, and found other banks offering no fee - low interest rate cards.
    We do have different accounts at different banks and lenders. Our problem is a bunch of expenses put us in a bad way then my husband lost his job and all hell broke loose! We're not in a position to acquire any more credit we are very lucky though that a few of our cards have 6.75% interest or lower. We do have a few that are 'normal' rates. We managed to settle with one card, struck up an amazing payback option with another and I'm hammering at those who are a'holes and can't help a good standing customer when they're down.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice everyone. Very helpful and some eye opening!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindz13 View Post
    President's choice not really an option for me as my city doesn't have one. I'd have to drive into the next city about 30-45mins away if I needed anything. Not really worth it. We have the big ones in town. Royal, Cambrian, Scotia and CIBC. I have an account at CIBC with 'hidden' money for emergency's. My husband's accounts are still separate from mine at Cambrian.
    Good news. You can use your PC bank card at CIBC machines. They struck a deal

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCouponCollector View Post
    ... oh geepers sorry for the misinformation, then! The last time I went to a booth to inquire about signing up, they told me I had to have a cc to do it. This was about 2 years ago... I never thought to try again or look into it further. I have a closed cc account which I am still slowly paying off. Credit is no good due to many different issues. Also I have no cheques from my bank and I can't bring myself to spend over $30 for them since I never use them. I don't want to hijack the thread, so if someone is able to explain how I can open one without cheques or cc pm me as I'd love to lose all these fees!
    I checked the pcfinancial.ca website. You can open a savings account with 2 pieces of govt. issued identification. You can do this in person at the PC Pavillion inside Loblaws, Real Canadian Super Store or other Loblaws companies with an in store bank.
    walkonby likes this.

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I feel like a bank is a bank is a bank. Everyone is going to have bad experiences somewhere along the line, wether it be not being approved for something or being treated rudely by a staff member who is having a bad day. A lady at Scotiabank was so rude to me when I was 18 that I closed my account and will never bank there again. Other people are very happy with Scotia.
    I would say, make a few appointments and see which bank you like best. Make the appointment at the branch that you will visit the most, and see which one has the staff you like best.
    At the financial institution I work at, I have received some praise from people who have gone out of their way to let the higher ups know that I went above and beyond for them...I have also had a man tell my manager that I am the "rudest person" he's ever met (the same day where earlier on my manager was telling me to keep up the good work, clearly he was having a bad day and the rude one! Lol).
    Last edited by Brooke_; Fri, Jul 26th, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Retiree likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

had a bad experience with CIBC my husband passed away 8 years ago - he had debt, then my debt, we had joint account plus a lot of bad things - they went into my account without my permission - zero sympathy from them that I was dealing with all this. Switched to TD - amazing experience and zero problems and sympathetic and helpful through everything & got the money back from CIBC which was illegally taken. I agree with previous poster about Royal Bank too evil bank. My parents have been with B of Montreal for over 25 years.
    I think it all depends on the city or town too and customer service. I was in a big city and crap service my parents small town and amazing experience.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm with RBC, The SO is with TD (mainly because there's branches everywhere). We were going to have out mortgage and joint account with PC but when we called for an appointment, and called again to confirm, when we got there, they were dealing with other clients. We walked around lob laws for at least 30mins close to 45 and the exact same people were still being served. I loved the idea of no fee banking and such but didn't like the customer service.
    In the end we went with RBC who was awesome enough to lock the mortgage rate at 2.89(back in June of this year). My financial advisor was even more awesome. She signed us up for unlimited everything VIP banking with all fees waived since that was the only account we could get with a mortgage but after 3 months it will charge us an annual fee she's switching us over to everyday banking with no fees. She's also getting us 3 check books while its still free for us.
    in a nutshell, ask around people you know. My mom referred me to this financial advisor and she's the best!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information