User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: What's up with this??? (Annoyed)

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I need to pick up a Veet Hair Cream Bleach, so off to SDM I went. Looked at the price tag, Reg $9.49, on sale $8.49 and to make this 'deal' even better, it was marked 5x optimum points, so I thought that this was excellent, so I picked a box up and I decided to check the expiry date and what I saw shocked me. Exp 06/2013!!!!

Is this a gimmick that they try? Had I not looked at the expiry date, I would have been happy with the price/sale/points offer. This is the second time I've come across bonus points with expired stuff. Back in June I purchase an Elizabeth Arden Lip Plumper serum, that was marked down to $9.00 plus 5x BP, unfortunately I checked the expiry date when I got home and it expired back in March 2013, and it was final sale. :-( so I never even used it.

Has anyone come across this before?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Were they all marked with that expiry date?
    I haven't noticed this .. I bet they didn't either.
    WHATT, You aren't doing Swagbucks? http://swagbucks.com/refer/acosta22

TRADE:
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members/acosta/
    FT TONS OF NEW COUPONS JUST UPDATED

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

If you buy something that you discovered is expired, take it back. Store are not allowed to sell expired items, not even to put it on liquidation or final sale. Call sdm hq if the store gives you a hard time. If still dissatisfied, you can always call consumer protection.

SDM seems to more guilty of selling expired goods than any other store -- at least in my experience and what I've read on SC. I don't think they do it deliberately, I think some of the stores are so big they don't check their inventory regularly.

Silk
    web3, acosta and ottawacouponlady like this.
    Have a great life!

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by acosta View Post
    Were they all marked with that expiry date?
    I haven't noticed this .. I bet they didn't either.
    There were 12 on the shelf, and all had the same expiry date. Maybe next time I notice this I will ask a csm in store about it, i'm just curious.
    acosta likes this.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    If you buy something that you discovered is expired, take it back. Store are not allowed to sell expired items, not even to put it on liquidation or final sale. Call sdm hq if the store gives you a hard time. If still dissatisfied, you can always call consumer protection.

SDM seems to more guilty of selling expired goods than any other store -- at least in my experience and what I've read on SC. I don't think they do it deliberately, I think some of the stores are so big they don't check their inventory regularly.

Silk
    Thanks for the advice Silk i also just realised that this is the same location where I bought the expired Elizabeth Arden item from. I remember asking the cosmetic clerk why the item was ridiculously marked down, and all she said to me was "oh, they're gonna come out with new packaging" and gullible me took her word for it. It's been bugging me for so long and then coming across the Veet item today just made me question the logic behind this.

Maybe tmrw I will give HQ a call.

Thank again.
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

^ You're welcome NR3 If it were me, I would also mention the EA item you bought back in June. Don't know if you still have the receipt and item, but if you do maybe they'll do something about it - give you points or contact the store manager or something. Another idea if you still have the item and receipt, is to find out who the regional or district manger is for EA. You should be able to get this info from any store that sells EA, it doesn't have to be sdm. Contact them and tell them about the expired product you bought.

Good luck!
    Silk
    NR3 likes this.
    Have a great life!

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the EA product with packaging unopened and I think I still have the receipt.
    I will update if I get any answers about this.

^ You're welcome NR3 If it were me, I would also mention the EA item you bought back in June. Don't know if you still have the receipt and item, but if you do maybe they'll do something about it - give you points or contact the store manager or something. Another idea if you still have the item and receipt, is to find out who the regional or district manger is for EA. You should be able to get this info from any store that sells EA, it doesn't have to be sdm. Contact them and tell them about the expired product you bought.

Good luck!
    Silk
    Silk likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by NR3 View Post
    I have the EA product with packaging unopened and I think I still have the receipt.
    I will update if I get any answers about this.
    Oh, yay! Btw, even if you don't have the receipt, SDM should be able to confirm the purchase via your optimum points account!

Silk
    NR3 likes this.
    Have a great life!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thats horrible!!

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Goodness people, it is hair bleach! 10 years ago it wouldn't even HAVE an 'expiry' date. They put it on there to keep themselves from being liable should the product not perform after that date. Best before/expiry dates are used to reference the shelf stability of a product and guaranteed freshness and performance quality. It is not BAD because it's past that date, especially for things like this.

It is actually NOT illegal to sell 'expired' food in Canada (MANY stores do it, in fact there are hundreds that do, but fresh foods usually are thrown out after their best before date to prevent any possibility of a lawsuit), and non-edible products have expiry dates SOLELY as a guarantee of shelf stability until that date. You are ABSOLUTELY allowed to sell 'expired' products, it is not illegal at all and I don't know where exactly that information is coming from. The ONLY exception is baby formula which IS illegal to sell if expired.

If you find expired products and you don't want to purchase them or have unwittingly purchased an expired product, return it to the store. If the store will not take it back, take it up with their head office, but I can assure you you're in no more danger from that bleach than you would be had you purchased it in May.

Products Sold Past the “Best Before” Date

Products can be sold after their best before date provided that:

1) The product is not labeled, packaged, treated, processed or advertised in a manner that is false, misleading or deceptive.

2) The product is fit for human consumption:

a) does not contain any poisonous or harmful substances,

b) does not consist in whole or in part any filthy, putrid, disgusting, rotten, decomposed or diseased animal or vegetable substance

c) is not adulterated

d) was not manufactured, prepared, preserved, packaged or stored under unsanitary conditions.

Foodsafetynetwork.ca

Last edited by Chantel; Tue, Sep 17th, 2013 at 02:58 AM.

NR3
    Female
    CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Oooooooooo, good info!!!!

Thanks again

Oh, yay! Btw, even if you don't have the receipt, SDM should be able to confirm the purchase via your optimum points account!

Silk

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I wouldn't worry about an expiry date on something like that being a few months off. The product doesn't "suddenly" change after that date.
    Natalka and Cocottee00 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, I don't think all Shoppers Drug Mart are like this. I don't think finding expired products on the shelf is a Shoppers Drug Mart problem. Has happened in many stores.

I look for expiry dates on all sale items, just like you do.
    I also look at my receipt before leaving the store to check any errors.

Just something we all have to do now, unfortunately
    Natalka, Silk and NR3 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

It's good you checked the dates - many people just don't.

I agree with Minou and Shwa Girl on their points above!
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    147 (100%)

My Shoppers was just getting worse and worse. I have stopped shopping there. The food section was always half empty, and what was there was often expired. Just poor management.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information