• 1 Post By josephhinds
  • 1 Post By chcruz829
  • 1 Post By disabilityHELPER
  • 1 Post By brunt

Thread: Considering downsizing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone ever do this? My partner and I were thinking of it, we could sell our current house, buy a smaller house just outside the city and he mortgage free in less than 10 years. Our house wouldn't be fancy but we would be able to buy a rec property then.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This sounds like an amazing option. You don't need a fancy house, you need financial stability and happiness, and it sounds like this would do all of that for you. I'm excited for you and I don't even know you, lol.
    MillieH likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We downsized from a two bedroom apartment to a one bedroom apartment. It was functional, but wasn't great when we had overnight guests. It was a lot easier on the checkbook though. It all depends on your priorities and needs. We need/want a second bathroom.
    Ciel likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

We downsized from a three-bedroom, three-level townhouse (including basement) to a two-bedroom, two-level apartment that is probably still around 1100 sq ft. I think the concept of how much space we need is absurd. Granted I complain about storage and would love just one more closet (there's no front hall closet) but when I think about the space my parents were raised in 50 - 60 years ago... we're all obsessed with space now. Personally, I also hate having the extra space to clean
    matrix82 and Ciel like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    220 (100%)

We downsized from a 3 bedroom house (1700 sq. ft plus finished basement) to a 2 bedroom condo (1400 sq ft). On paper it sounded easy. Financially it was a good move.

However one of the problems included having a den (for computer, books, files, etc) to nothing. Am still balancing the space. Losing the extra bedroom was not that bad. If you were a sewer that would be a challenge. Not having the basement or the den or the outside storage sheds made us make some tough decisions.
    Another problem we had was our artwork. Even a framed poster can have very special memories.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "your stuff" might make it more of a challenge.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    We downsized from a three-bedroom, three-level townhouse (including basement) to a two-bedroom, two-level apartment that is probably still around 1100 sq ft. I think the concept of how much space we need is absurd. Granted I complain about storage and would love just one more closet (there's no front hall closet) but when I think about the space my parents were raised in 50 - 60 years ago... we're all obsessed with space now. Personally, I also hate having the extra space to clean
    We went from 1100 sq feet down to 400. It was really tough for the first couple of months. I still miss the 2nd bathroom though.
    Ciel likes this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Once the kids are gone I want to get a nice bungalow (currently have 4 bedrooms/2 story house with finished basement. Love the space for the kids but won't need it down the road.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We went from an 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom house with finished basement to a 2 bedroom 1100 sq ft apartment with a storage room. With no kids left at home, the transition was fairly easy.

I did find end tables that double as magazine racks and a coffee table that doubles as a storage chest. I also modified the dresser in the guestroom so that it can double as a dresser for guests and act as a computer workstation when we don't have visitors. We are fortunate enough to have a walk in closet in our master bedroom and decent sized closets in our guestroom and entry hall.

I do think that downsizing makes you think more about what you really do need/not need to hang onto. Financially, I don't miss the expense of a larger home and I've learned to hang onto fewer things.
    matrix82, Ciel and emma008 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks everyone for your insight. We are considering downsizing from a 1200sq ft house (plus basement) to a mobile home (we would own the land) of the same sq ft except no basement. What would be sacrificing the most of the lot size, we have a really decent sized lot right now but we are finding it just too much work and we barely use it. We do have a child but she is not in school yet, so it would be ideal to move before school came into the picture. I am just finding so many of our priorities have changed since having our child, and I'd rather have money for activities/travel/savings/rec property than a house.
    matrix82, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Anyone ever do this? My partner and I were thinking of it, we could sell our current house, buy a smaller house just outside the city and he mortgage free in less than 10 years. Our house wouldn't be fancy but we would be able to buy a rec property then.
    Probably now is the right time to downsize as the real estate prices are at the peak , so if a real estate crash comes the people with bigger more expensive houses will lose more money than those with smaller houses.

If the mortgage rates start going up which might be pretty soon as they have been at a historic low for a long long time , the crash won't be that far off ;(

so if its a 10 % crash , 10 % of a 500,000 house will be more money than 10 % of a 250,000 house.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke_ View Post
    This sounds like an amazing option. You don't need a fancy house, you need financial stability and happiness, and it sounds like this would do all of that for you. I'm excited for you and I don't even know you, lol.
    I agree with you!!!
    Ciel likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We downsized our mortgage amount by moving out of the city. Bigger house, smaller price tag It's another way to look at it. And by moving our I mean I moved like 30 mins away but stayed in the 416.
    Ciel likes this.
    Want to win 1,000,000 Skittles?? Free contest closes Dec 31st, 2013
    http://www.getskittlesrich.com/watch/GyQbFOu8y08

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Recently my sister bought a rec property for next to nothing with a house on it! She is going to retire out there and not have a mortgage or a big giant fat property tax bill. I think this is the best plan so you can retire earlier, live frugally and be happy!
    Ciel likes this.

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Don't forget to check out the building codes in your area. Most often, you can build an under 10 square metre (about 110 square foot) shed without having to get a building permit. Done correctly, this can greatly increase your effective storage.

For some really creative ideas, google tiny house to get the ideas going.
    Ciel likes this.

Thread Information