User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: what is the best tablet out there?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hi everyone. after hearing the news regarding the change in Walmart's price match policy, i decided to buy a tablet that i can use to save flyers that i want to price match to and show them to cashier, as i think this way they can see the product and the price mach better rather then on my cellphone.. so i am wondering what is the best tablet out there that is still reasonably priced. a friend of mine recommend an ipad, but then i have heard that apple limits you to what you can download on the ipad and i would like to have the choice of downloading whatever i would like on it..
    thanks in advance..
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Walmart
    vesper and jaydenmoorie like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

"best" is a really quite a subjective term. You really need to assess what you want to do with it.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - 7-inch screen with 8gb of ram (usually around $179) would be fine for my mother. She wouldn't do much with it than browse the web, read and reply to emails, and maybe read ebooks on it.
    The processor inside is fine for her needs... and the screen is adequate for her use as well.

However, for me, it's not enough. I own a Sony Xperia Z tablet. a 10-inch screen and 32gb of ram... (about $600) much faster processor, and bigger and sharper display. But I want to watch movies on it without lagging or stuttering. I want my entire music collection available on it (with an extra memory card) and I want to be able to play games on it that would otherwise be unplayable on the Tab3.

an iPad is the "best" for others, because they already own one ore more Apple devices, and the shared capabilities and services that work on all of them make them more attractive to those users.

On the other hand, I have an Android phone. So for me, I would immediately gravitate toward and Android tablet for the same reason. Shared abilities and services on those devices.

--

Also, if you're a strong Windows user -- and rely heavily on Windows programs and software and want to get that same experience out of your tablet that you do your PC: then you might want to consider a Windows Surface Pro tablet (the basic Surface tablets aren't worth the price tag to be honest, but the Pro's are not far from being a full PC in a tablet form).

But again, it's hard to discern "best" between Apple, Android, or Windows with all the options, prices, and your needs.

But if you can determine at least what platform you want... Here's what I WOULD suggest you steer clear of though: Blackberry tablets (if there are any out there). RiM as a company is faltering, and the BB Playbooks are not at all a clear cut runner. They are discontinued, but you might still see someone trying to pawn them off. Even if you own a BlackBerry phone... stay far away from the Playbooks.

iPads are made by Apple and Apple alone: And they build decent and reliable product. Since they control the hardware AND the software end of things, you're entering a pretty tightly run ship... but it should all work well together.

If you're looking at Android... It's a bit more flexible with manufacturers, specs, and software is very much a more open world. That being said, some apps may run better on some devices than on others (or may not be available at all for some models). While the Google Play store is the primary repository for apps... you can get apps from other sources. Either way, when shopping for the devices, I would stick to brands like Asus, Sony Xperia, or Samsung. Stay clear of Acer, Lenovo, or HP, or any brand you've never heard of before. Acer ANYTHING is just cheap build. All of the Lenovo ones I've tried just didn't perform well. Id sooner buy a smaller lower-spec Samsung than I would Acer, or Lenovo. -- And the HP models are getting rather drab reviews (although I haven't used them myself).

Windows tablets are also made by various brands... but again Asus is decent... and Acer is not. I have heard mixed things about the Dells, but mostly "not favorable".
    Zonny, lecale, toban and 5 others like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 07:10 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    31 (100%)

The Nexus 7 FHD seems to be quite popular now (all my nerdy friends who are into techy things have this tablet, so do I). My brother is in computer science at a university and likes that it is slim enough to fit into a men's jean pocket. I hear the iPad is great too but for the price, it's quite expensive when you can buy a different tablet with the same capabilities but at a lower price. The Nexus 7 is currently $249 for brand new.

I own an iPhone so I know that their products are quite expensive for what the are offering, so I'm not sure if the iPad is worth the price for things like price matching. I feel like the Nexus 7 FHD tablet works for what I need it for. I know that there are plenty of people on kijiji that are selling the first generation of the Nexus 7 and I remember seeing them go for as low as $130 a few months ago (depends on the seller). I have both generations and I can say that they're great products and either one fit into my purse perfectly. This tablet uses the Google Play store and they have apps like FlyerFlo, Checkout51, etc. I have these apps on my tablet and they run fine.

To be honest though, I just use my phone to price match. When using my phone to PM, I usually just show them the item, the item's price, and the flyer date. I only price match at Target and they have accepted it every time (except for once last week, the cashier wanted me to show her a flyer lol).

I hope you end up deciding on what to do. good luck!
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I love my Nexus 7! I work in IT and have seen most of them... and I still think its the best (and not the most expensive)!
    oscarandme and maiyuu like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thank you all for the info..it really helps to hear what works great for others.. im so not tech smart, go figure the guy at the future shop sold me an HP laptop LOL
    Decisions, decisions
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm real suspicious of electronic sales people. Most of them don't know a whole lot more then just the specs on stuff. They are by no means experts. So do your research, get advice and read reviews online is definitely the best option. I myself, usually just research online, go into the store and play with the electronics to get a feel for them, and then order somewhere online. Well that's just my opinion.
    oscarandme, Shirnette and maiyuu like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have a Google Nexus 7 and love it!
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have an iPad and Samsung. I much prefer my iPad.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

bhlombardy, that is great information. Thank you so much for explaining things in such an easy-to-understand manner. May 'something wonderful' find its way to you soon!

(I'm looking for some sort of easy set-up to enable me to listen to GOOD QUALITY streaming music in my kitchen. I just love the CBC classical radio station. I think perhaps I can use my Nexus 7 somehow.)
    oscarandme and Shirnette like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I loved our Samsung Galaxy. Until I was in Disney, accessing the Lines app while we were waiting for a VERY lame attraction, my DH bonked into me and I dropped it. It was in a case, but it's got a big break in one corner (looks like a wee baseball hit it) and two cracks across the glass now. Fortunately it still works but looks ugly.
    oscarandme likes this.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Not sure if this really counts as a "tablet" but I got a Kindle Fire HD at SDM during the last redemption event and am very pleased with it. It's only a 7 inch, but I find it really fast for web browsing. Apps are limited, not as many as for iPad, but there is some sort of agreement with Google and many of the apps that are on Google marketplace are available. It's supposed to be more durable than other tablets, according to Amazon.
    oscarandme likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GatineauGirl View Post
    bhlombardy, that is great information. Thank you so much for explaining things in such an easy-to-understand manner. May 'something wonderful' find its way to you soon!

(I'm looking for some sort of easy set-up to enable me to listen to GOOD QUALITY streaming music in my kitchen. I just love the CBC classical radio station. I think perhaps I can use my Nexus 7 somehow.)

I highly recommend the app "TuneIn Radio" for doing just that. -- there is a free version and a paid version.

The free version lets you listen to any radio station that has an online presence. most of my local stations are available on it.

The paid version lets you do things like record, rewind, etc like a PVR... but don't pay the $7 for it... wait for it to go on sale. Google Play has it on sale from time to time(especially during their sale-events, like anniversary sale, etc) for as low as $2.

CBC Radio one and two are on there, but only listed from major centers (Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, etc).
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Nov 1st, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by pristinefury View Post
    Not sure if this really counts as a "tablet" but I got a Kindle Fire HD at SDM during the last redemption event and am very pleased with it. It's only a 7 inch, but I find it really fast for web browsing. Apps are limited, not as many as for iPad, but there is some sort of agreement with Google and many of the apps that are on Google marketplace are available. It's supposed to be more durable than other tablets, according to Amazon.
    Amazon "would" say that... it's their product. That being said, Google Play is (or was) not available on the Fire. Apps on the Fire have to be bought/obtained exclusively on the Amazon App store. For that reason alone, I'd steer away from the Fire. I don't like being told where I "must" get my apps.
    Tbites, oscarandme and Shirnette like this.

mandolinatou
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

i like my BB playbook which is discontinued and not quite as nice an ipad in my opinion, but it does more than I actually need. I got it at 150 and then saw it at 77 somewhere. Its amazing for that price.
    oscarandme likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information