User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: 2014 Budget on Feb 11-During Olympics pretty sneaky.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

The Feds are planning to release a very mediocre and so so budget on Feb 11 - Tuesday at 4.00 pm, when all the eyes will be on the Olympics.

The budget apparently won't do much for the average Canadian and they just want to slip it under the radar, with people focussed on the Olympics.

They did the same thing with the Canada Post cuts to home delivery, higher postage etc , they announced it just the day before they went on their winter break from Parliament...a month long break..so they were not asked tough questions on it.

Pretty sneaky , I think..what do you guys think ?
    This thread is currently associated with: Canada Post
    TaraF, macw1960 and CouponLover618 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16517950/

Budget Date , I believe its being released earlier than most budgets in previous years , to keep it Low Key
    TaraF and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

LOL, I don't think that was a consideration.

Gee, I don't know many people who actually sit in front of the tv and watch the full budget proceedings as it's being released. Most catch the highlights on the evening news - which I'm sure most people will be able to tune in to see before they hit up the Olympic coverage for the night.

How about that they are doing it early just to give everyone an earlier heads-up.
    macw1960, lecale, erin9mmm and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Hope that one of the items getting cut is overseas travel budget for the PMO and ministers. Seems there's money for too many photo opportunities for the PM in international lands.

We remember the fake lake in Toronto for the summit...
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Hope that one of the items getting cut is overseas travel budget for the PMO and ministers. Seems there's money for too many photo opportunities for the PM in international lands.

We remember the fake lake in Toronto for the summit...
    Yup , he just went to Israel last week to garner the jewish votes ..under the guise of a trade mission..with a whole entourage/delegates on tax payers dime .

I don't think any trade deal whatsoever was signed or intended in the first place.

Nothing agaist Israel or Palestine for me, but thought it was a waste of tax payers money by this PM to fulfill his own political agenda or votes with this Israel photo opp.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

how about those people that had outlandish personal expenses (wallin, duffey) are fired with NO retirement benefits. Sorry but if you get fired from any other job, your benefits stop. Drives me nuts.

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Planned? Absolutely. It's what Stephen Harper does. He either leaves the Country to make a large announcement that will affect Canada, or makes sure Canada's eyes are somewhere else when he does it. He also happens announce things before taking winter and summer recess's so he doesn't have to talk about it. See below, for just a few things.

1. Was in Russia for the announcement of the Canada-China FIPPA
    2. Pro Rouged Parliament to avoid handing over afghan detainee torture information while eyes were on the Olympics in 2010.
    3. High tailed it to Brussels in midst of the Senate scandal and "coincidentally" missed the first Question Period of the new Parliament Session in October.
    4. Parliament's winter recess was on Dec 13 and "coincidentally" just 2 days earlier Canada Post, a Crown Corp, was breaking news about cutting door to door delivery. On the approval of Stephen Harper's Government.

Ya know, just to name a few things. There is no accident that eyes will be on Russia when the Budget is tabled. And Natalka, perhaps if more people DID take the time to see what is in our Budgets, they'd see how they are laws thrown in these omnibus budget bills that Stephen Harper isn't letting anyone debate on the floor. Not just "highlights" that the media are authorized to feed us.
    Last edited by TaraF; Mon, Feb 3rd, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
    macw1960, tjthemanto and walkonby like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    LOL, I don't think that was a consideration.

Gee, I don't know many people who actually sit in front of the tv and watch the full budget proceedings as it's being released. Most catch the highlights on the evening news - which I'm sure most people will be able to tune in to see before they hit up the Olympic coverage for the night.

How about that they are doing it early just to give everyone an earlier heads-up.
    I agree - my life as a senior has been pretty good since the govt made changes to income tax, etc. Instead of griping why don't people appreciate what we have although the Ont govt has tried every way to take away our health & wasted millions of our tax dollars doing it - they control Ontario Hydro (in the winter we have to turn down the heat and wear coats in the house and not cook hot meals until after 7 at night & still have to save to pay our monthly $600 - $900 hydro bill) Where else but in ontario do they add on their company's previous debt and make the customer pay their debt for them?? Finally someone is going to look into Ontario Hydro.
    Natalka, macw1960 and erin9mmm like this.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Nothing surprises me with the government anymore and now that I have the date and the time I know when to tune in.
    tjthemanto likes this.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by macw1960 View Post
    Nothing surprises me with the government anymore and now that I have the date and the time I know when to tune in.
    Don't expect much ..I will be tuning into the Olympics & play into Harper's hands..he he he ..maybe curling or figure skating or hockey might be on

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Its going to be live on CBC starting at 3.00 pm , if anyone is interested.

I am surprised the general apathy towards the budget by the average Canadians, its like no one cares, when it can have a Huge impact on your lives.

If they increase taxes, reduce benefits, rebates, credits etc..lower spending on infrastructure, download more costs to cities, provinces etc..it will have a major impact on your day to day life.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Mon, Jan 19th, 2015 at 04:01 PM.
    erin9mmm likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

When I saw online reporting about Jim Flaherty getting shoes at a Canadian work shoe manufacturer, I thought work shoes? Seemed like a comment on the Canadian shoe industry-not much left.
    FLA likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Steel toe wingtips

Name:  David-507139-black-top.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  34.6 KB

FLA
    Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    When I saw online reporting about Jim Flaherty getting shoes at a Canadian work shoe manufacturer, I thought work shoes? Seemed like a comment on the Canadian shoe industry-not much left.
    Most of the shoes are made in China.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information