Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By momof5boys
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 1 Post By Bubbelinchen

Thread: 14 year old paper delivery (help) TAX

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

does anyone have a clue? my son(14) started last year delivering papers with his own SIN and the money goes on his own bank account. he made about $800 in 6 month. does he have to file his own income tax? if yes and we wanna send it via netfile, is he able with 14 to make his own online account at the CRA web page?

anyone here who has a kid that has already experience with some like that?
    This thread is currently associated with: Via Rail

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbelinchen View Post
    does anyone have a clue? my son(14) started last year delivering papers with his own SIN and the money goes on his own bank account. he made about $800 in 6 month. does he have to file his own income tax? if yes and we wanna send it via netfile, is he able with 14 to make his own online account at the CRA web page?

anyone here who has a kid that has already experience with some like that?
    All our boys have had a paper route at one time or another. I always add up the gross amount they received from their paper route and file taxes for them. They don't pay tax anyway and any amount filed contributes to the RRSP room which they can use later if they wish.
    Bubbelinchen and walkonby like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    All our boys have had a paper route at one time or another. I always add up the gross amount they received from their paper route and file taxes for them. They don't pay tax anyway and any amount filed contributes to the RRSP room which they can use later if they wish.
    how do u file his tax?mail or netfile? can i open an account for him at the cra website to send his via netfile or is he to young?
    Last edited by Bubbelinchen; Thu, Jan 23rd, 2014 at 11:09 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Bubbelinchen likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

thanks so much. very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'd suggest you discuss with your son the possibility of getting him to authorize you as his representative until he's older or 18. That way, if he had questions about his CRA account and wanted you to find out for him through CRA, then you would able to do so after the requisite identification questions are asked when you call in. So have the chat and discuss if your son would like you to be his representative or not and for which years, so that a letter can be typed up and signed by you both and mailed to the CRA. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce.../menu-eng.html

I don't know if CRA has changed the process much, but when one wants an online MyAccount, one still had to wait for a letter from CRA for the initial password after creating an account. The letter can take about 3 weeks to arrive after the account is set up. That was what happened 6 years ago when I established the online account.

SCers with more recent MyAccount setups can post if this password letter still applies now.

Re: income-if your son's earnings also earned interest income, that has to show up on line 121 of his T1 return; some banks won't issue T5 slips for amounts under $50 but the interest income still has to be reported. For your or your spouse's return, your son's net income amount may or may not affect what you can claim for child dependant tax credits.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

how do u file his tax?mail or netfile? can i open an account for him at the cra website to send his via netfile or is he to young?

Last year was the first time I did it on line, using simpletax.ca

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

All you would need to do is to file his tax return using a software that will be able to net-file it. The software will create a net-file document. This can be uploaded to the CRA netfile website and as long as you have his netfile code (usually received in the mail) you can submit it online.

The CRA account is good for checking things like RRSP contribution rooms, T4 slips, any personal instalments, and your tax assessment. It is not necessary for your son to have an account in order to file his taxes.

Thread Information