Like Tree26Likes
  • 2 Post By Mission
  • 7 Post By CrazyQT
  • 2 Post By Mission
  • 2 Post By ilovecats
  • 7 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 5 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl

Thread: Should I be grateful that Walmart Cashier "accepts" me as a buying customer?

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

Yesterday I went to Walmart and they finally have the canned chicken broth (68 cents) in stock. So I took 4 trays and 3 hamburger helper (to get the movie ticket) and couple other items. There were only two regular checkout which both had customers and five to six express checkout stations which no one lined up and only two stations have customers. I know the express has 12 items limit, I usually don't do that if there is any customer line up. Being a couponer, I am fully aware that other customers get annoyed if we hog the line. As I was deciding which side to go to, one of the staffs passed by and told me to go to the express. So I went for it.

I stopped at the closest counter and that cashier actually went off nearby to "shop" for herself. So I said, "excuse me" She came back annoyed because I interrupted her "shopping" during work hours and said, "You shouldn't be in here, this is express lane, 12 items or less" And I said there were no one here, three or four stations empty, and basically it's just that 4 trays of broth if u count each one of them an item. She did start scanning but was rolling her eyes and making faces. Till the end, no other customer came and those other express lane stations were still empty. And I said, see, it didn't take long. She said, "that's ok, I accepted u but next time...." I left.

This morning I had to stop by again and pick up something quick, ran into one of my familiar cashiers and she told me that cashier yesterday was telling her about me and how I ignored the rule and came into the express lane, blah, blah. I said I shop here so often and I know some of the managers and staffs there. I don't usually do that unless I knew I won't bother other customers. She said don't worry about her, she is always lazy and just chat and don't want to do anything anyway.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    peachies and jamesfranco like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

If a staff member told you to go to express then you should have told the cashier that.

On the other hand even though you only had 4 trays, the contents of those trays added up to more than 12. I'm not sure about Walmart but a lot of stores make cashiers scan each product separately in order to keep inventory correct. So that means if there were 4X24 cans that's 96 cans she would have had to scan making it far more than the 12 limit. Either way that point doesn't matter in this case because you were told to go to express anyway.

The cashier that was telling you about the other cashier complaining should not repeat what she has heard and she definitely should not be calling her co-workers lazy to other customers. It's wrong public relations. If she has an issue with the cashier she should be taking it up with her manager.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

First of all, it's 12 cans per tray, secondly, she doesn't have to scan each one of them, scan one and tap. Lastly, the cash lanes were all empty, it didn't and wouldn't (that time of day, I know that store very well)) bother anybody else except the cashier herself, cannot shop while working. Plus these cans were plastic wrapped per tray and I know a lot of stores can be scanned one tray at a time, like a case of tomato soup, instead of each can, that would make it 4 items instead of 48 items. Regardless, her attitude was totally unacceptable. I am in retail too, if I behave like that in my store, I would be out that very same day.
    Ciel and peachies like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, each one has to be scanned separately. Cashiers at Walmart are not to use the quantity key. They must either use the hand scanner, or scan EACH one separately. IF they were plastic-wrapped per tray, it all depends on how that is being sold. If they are selling by tray, then each tray would be scanned once (and the price coming up as such would reflect it as being sold that way....68 cents x number = total). However, not everything that is still wrapped in plastic is sold as a unit (they could be out as such for the floor associates/overnight staff to stock the shelves), which would mean that each can is sold separately...and in that case, each can has to be scanned separately.

At my store, if a CSM or manager is allowing someone to use the express lane that clearly has more than the 12 items for such, they will usually tell those working the express lane that they are sending people over. Way too many people hop into the express lane knowing they are over the limit, then get all huffy when the cashier mentions next time they are over 12 to use the belts.

Another reason the stores want cashiers to scan each item separately? I can't tell you how many times I've had people, when asked specifically, "are they all the SAME flavour, etc.", being told "yes", then as you're looking at the items you see a label that isn't the same colour as the others or something, only to then find out after you've scanned x number of one that they had so many of that kind, then so many of another kind. So, no, not the same. This way, scanning each item separately means inventory cannot get screwed up.
    angel_2011 and Anna Michele like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

Repeat, scan one and tap. Repeat, never ever done that in my life. This was the only time and my first time and because the other cashier told me to do that. If I saw the sign that says 12 items or less, I wouldn't even go in. I once miscounted my items, had 11 instead of 10 (diff. store), quickly got out of the express line up once I found out. And re-line up at regular lane. Repeat, yes, I understand every item has to be accounted for. Even for diff. flavours, like cat food. They have diff. UPCs. Also, no one is getting huffy, I was just surprised she made faces as I explained and then complained to others about it.

Express lanes were set up for customers who can be in and out and purchase items without lining up for too long. My entire transaction was completed less than 3 minutes including the time I called her back from her "shopping". If I have coupons and I knew they would call csm to verify, even for one item, I wouldn't even go in express lane. However, lots of time at this store in early morning, they don't even have regular checkout open, only two express cash open, customers were bound to go in even if they have cart load of stuffs. And those customers waited a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time for checkout, I don't see that cashier saying anything about it.
    Last edited by Mission; Wed, Feb 5th, 2014 at 06:35 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hello OP. Please do not get angry at my post
    From the other side of the cash til, I can tell you that sometimes, my boss was watching. If I was on express and let so many items go through, the boss would not be happy.

Also, my speed is being checked and my items per transactions are being tabulated and examined in the cash office. I get called in and hear about it long after you have gone.

Dear OP, a lot behind the scenes that the cashier has to deal with. Once you are gone, we get the yelling and bad treatment.

Congrats on your purchase of soup. I hope it tastes really good.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Wed, Feb 5th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Hello OP. Please do not get angry at my post
    From the other side of the cash til, I can tell you that sometimes, my boss was watching. If I was on express and let so many items go through, the boss would not be happy.

Also, my speed is being checked and my items per transactions are being tabulated and examined in the head office.

Dear OP, a lot behind the scenes that the cashier has to deal with. Once you are gone, we get the yelling and bad treatment.

Congrats on your purchase of soup. I hope it tastes really good.
    Just had an "A=ha" moment. The fault is not with the cashiers. The fault is with the store check out.
    The rant should be about Walmart's lack of enough large purchase tils opened at that time.
    Hmmmm.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I have been directed to the Express check-outs by Walmart supervisors on more than one occasion when the regular tills had line-ups and the Express Lane was empty. Have had over the limit of items each time and the cashiers seem to know that's how the store handles 'uneven' volume.
    So many coupons....so little time!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

Don't get me wrong, I am not angry at any post here. I have always valued my fellow Sc'ers' opinions, just trying to get my point across. My rant is about the cashier as I am just surprised to see how annoyed she was when I asked her to get back to her station, even before she knew I have "more than 12 items" She just basically think that I have no right to call her. And the whole time I was polite, this is one of the first fundamental thing for us couponer, I was always polite and patient. I didn't raise my voice or anything, the other cashier told me to go to the supervisor and I didn't want to cause her any trouble for work. And all in all, it's not a big deal. Rolling eyes and making faces, we are all human.

I understand they are being "watched" as I am in retail too. But there is no need to be THAT ANNOYED the whole time she did my transaction like I did something to wrong her, I practically have to bag my own stuffs. I was really trying to explain and she wouldn't listen. She kept talking over me and told me "I have no right to be here. Next time u do this and that" And at some point, I just stopped explaining and let her do all the talking.
    Last edited by Mission; Wed, Feb 5th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

yeah some stores don't allow quantity for some reason & insist on scanning each & every item.

Lot of times I tell the cashier I have 10 of these..but they scan each one anyways ( probably company protocol ) ..they probably think I am slipping in an expensive item & trying to scam them.

Lot of items will look identical but will have a different UPC & it screws up their inventory.

I picked up 4 deos at SDM once ..they looked identical..same gm , same size , same colour, same packaging ..but when the cashier scanned them one scanned higher. They were also kept in the same slot on the shelf under the same price tag.

Then both of us realised that one was different ..was almost difficult to tell just by casually looking at them ..so I went back and picked the right one ..that too I had to look very closely , comparing the barcodes etc before picking the right one.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

I had that happen before. Same packaging, size, weight, look and colour, but diff. UPCs. They said it's new stock and old stock.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I've been told many times by walmart supervisors to go to the express lines when i'm waiting in a long line. I also have had more than 12 items, on many occasions. I have no idea how inventory, scanning each item or anything like that works as I've never worked in retail, but, I also have never ever had a cashier complain to me about having to many items. So with that said, the number of items can't be that big of deal all the time. Why would supervisors be sending people over to the express lines that have clearly more than 12 items and knowing that that cashier will later get in trouble?? That doesn't make sense to me.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mission View Post
    I understand they are being "watched" as I am in retail too.
    Perfect!
    So, it is very easy for you to understand.
    Perfect!
    CrazyQT likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    156 (100%)

Understanding that we have responsibility and boundary as employee in the service sector. Also understand that dishing out attitude is absolutely a no, no to customers. And that is what this rant is about.

Every job has its point of difficulties, some can whine all day about it. Some finds ways to cope with it and rise on top.
    Last edited by Mission; Sat, Feb 8th, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

Thread Information