User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Have You Done Your Taxes Yet ? - Post your CRA timeline

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Lump sum in July 2014 is only if your OTB amount is under $360.
    Starting with your 2013 income tax and benefit return, you can elect to receive your 2014 OTB in one payment at the end of the benefit year. If your annual 2014 OTB entitlement is over $360 and you make this election, you will get it in one payment in June 2015 instead of receiving monthly payments from July 2014 to June 2015.

If your 2014 OTB annual entitlement is $360 or less, it will be issued in one lump-sum payment in the first payment month (usually July).

If your 2013 return is assessed after June 10, 2014, see question and answer 5 for when you can expect to receive your payment.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/rltd_...g.html#ntrtrll

Make sure you check off the GST/HST box on page 1 of the T1 return, as it is also the election for OTB application (for Ontario Sales Tax Credit; form ON_BEN is needed for Senior Tax Credits).

The tax guide lists the districts in Ontario that qualify for Northern Ontario Energy Credit.
    2. What areas of Ontario are considered Northern Ontario for the NOEC?

For NOEC, Northern Ontario means the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury (including the City of Greater Sudbury), Thunder Bay, and Timiskaming. You must live in one of these areas on December 31, 2013, to apply for the 2014 NOEC on your 2013 income tax and benefit return.
    http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/rltd_...nc-eng.html#q2
    lecale likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

They don't start processing the returns until after Feb 15 , so even if you filed it earlier the processing wont start till then.
    TaraF and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Hi everyone, hope this is a good place to ask...

This is my first year filing taxes on my own (I went with my family to H&R Block in previous years). I thought their free software was too complicated for me since I don't know anything about doing taxes... I found simpletax.ca to have a more friendly interface for someone like me. I'm just a little paranoid about entering such personal things like my SIN, especially on a web-based program, so I was wondering if anyone has used this site in previous years and if it worked out well for them? Thanks!
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

At least this year's return is not detouring via Sudbury, so by the time it reaches PEI, the processing will be underway.
    @awalkman-there are savvy SCers who use tax prep software online that can likely reassure you about filing online. I learned with paper returns and have not leapt that digital divide yet.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by awalkman View Post
    Hi everyone, hope this is a good place to ask...

This is my first year filing taxes on my own (I went with my family to H&R Block in previous years). I thought their free software was too complicated for me since I don't know anything about doing taxes... I found simpletax.ca to have a more friendly interface for someone like me. I'm just a little paranoid about entering such personal things like my SIN, especially on a web-based program, so I was wondering if anyone has used this site in previous years and if it worked out well for them? Thanks!
    This is one of the reasons I don't use software to do my tax returns , and do it the old fashion way.

I don't know when I am doing it online with Ufile , Turbo Tax , Studio Tax etc etc ..if I am directly connected with the CRA server or with the different tax software company servers and then the CRA server.

The .exe file which I upload with these various softwares ..does all the data like my SIN , DOB , Name , Address etc get stored in the servers and hard driver of the various tax software companies like UFile , Turbo Tax , Studio Tax etc or does it directly go to the CRA .

I don't want my info going to these guys and getting stored with them just bcoz I am using their software to do my taxes , I want the info to go directly to CRA & no to these middleman as I don't trust them with my info

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    At least this year's return is not detouring via Sudbury, so by the time it reaches PEI, the processing will be underway.
    @awalkman-there are savvy SCers who use tax prep software online that can likely reassure you about filing online. I learned with paper returns and have not leapt that digital divide yet.
    I belive all these tax software companies get your sensitive data once you use their software to do a return and then it goes to the CRA servers for processing.

Not paranoid but not sure how secure the servers of these companies are if they have your data like SIN , DOB , Address , Name etc etc just because you use their software to do a return.

I hope you get connected directly to CRA and not thru these guys & their servers/hard drives when you use their software ..not sure though

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I'm waiting on my second RRSP slip from Manulife which won't come til March, other than that i'm all set!
    Wanna make some spare cash? Check out Clixsense: http://www.clixsense.com/?5382267

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I am done my taxes, I file them online using Ufile.ca and have for years. I think the security risks are minimal in my opinion, and no more at risk than you information on paper going through the postal system.

Trading Score
    442 (100%)

We get quicktax yearly and I LOVE it! I have started taking on other fanily memebers taxes because I find it SO easy to use!!! Whats $30 when you get a 4 digit return

Im just waiting on a T5 which wont come till the end of the month unforunately but the weekend of March 1-2 you know what I'll be doing
    lecale likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
    awalkman likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Tue, Feb 18th, 2014 at 08:24 AM.
    awalkman likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

i'm still waiting for all our T4 slips. nothing here yet at all( 2 unions,6 employers) it's sooo late this year. :-(

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

Taxes are done, used Turbo tax and didn't have to pay. WOOT. Getting a refund. WAHOO! Now we have to file my husband's US taxes. Booooooo. I hate the IRS lol

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

My T4 is still not here ..last year it arrived much earlier

I think the employers have until Feb end to send it , it better come before that

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Real proud of my 14 year old-she just did her first tax return and mailed it in from her 2 week summer job last year. She is getting $55 back so she is happy about that-I figure they might as well learn how to do it as soon as they have a job and get a T4.
    linnyeg likes this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information