User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: moving to another province - advice needed

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I will be planning a long distance move from Ontario to Quebec.

Does anybody have any tips on moving their belongings from one province to another? I was thinking of using a moving company but I heard it can get really expensive. What other options do I have that might be cheaper? Is the cheaper route worth it?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To clarify, where are you leaving and going? I assume it's more than just crossing the shores of the Ottawa River.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/moving...rise-1.1958797
    http://bc.ctvnews.ca/tips-on-choosin...mpany-1.693584
    Last edited by xlxo; Sat, Apr 26th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.
    ROMEO likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Avoid Moving Day...
    ROMEO, Insane, gourmetsue and 3 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I personally would avoid a moving company I am not familiar with, you hear so many stories of them losing/breaking stuff and holding belongings hostage until you pay them another fee

As Darth mentions, try not to move in on July 1st in Quebec, it is insane!

We just rent a large truck (most can be dropped off at a different location) and pack/move ourselves
    ROMEO, emma008 and luckbealady like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Do a detail safety check of your rental truck before leaving, especially the brakes on a long trip! I hear some have very poor maintenance. Having a breakdown near home may be OK, but on a long distance on a remote location, especially with no cell coverage would be painful.

Make sure everything is locked down when overnighting. These rental movers are popular targets for thieves. Makes me wonder how good those door locks are...
    Last edited by xlxo; Sun, Apr 27th, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
    ROMEO and emma008 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I personally would avoid a moving company I am not familiar with, you hear so many stories of them losing/breaking stuff and holding belongings hostage until you pay them another fee

As Darth mentions, try not to move in on July 1st in Quebec, it is insane!

We just rent a large truck (most can be dropped off at a different location) and pack/move ourselves

which company did you rent the truck from?

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by emma008 View Post
    MANY years ago our company moved us from Ontario to Quebec - so picked up the bill. I decided to get a moving company (Taylor) which I thought was an excellent company. Unfortunately, they lost my wedding had (I had just been married earlier that year) and my husband's tool box. Unfortunately, they were not willing to take and those things are gone forever. Nothing was broken - but this goes to show that no one is infallible.

Things have changed a lot in the moving industry - the moving companies have MANY rules and expectations of what the consumer must do in order for the company to not be responsible. Make sure you read all the fine print and understand what is expected of you and what they will take responsibility for.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by emma008 View Post
    We rented from a friend who has a construction company but Budget have large trucks
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Nicole
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

PENSKE also rents cube trucks, similar to the u-haul ones...we are in wester Canada, not sure if they are in ON or PQ...
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

We've always moved ourselves, and it's been years since I've moved farther than across a province (and back then, I really didn't have much stuff!). But this concept is fairly new - Pods. My understanding is, they park a receptacle in your yard, you pack it at your leisure, then they come and pick up the container and take it where you're going. Then you unpack it at your leisure (although surely they charge for the time you have the Pod).

http://www.pods.com/Canada/Moving.aspx

I have no idea how much it costs, but surely it's less than movers since you pack and unpack it yourself? Not recommending it on any personal experience, never used it, but it sounds sensible.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I moved from Ontario to Cape Breton, Cape Breton to Kitchener, Kitchener to Ottawa, Ottawa to Hull and Hull to Hamilton - and maybe Hamilton to BC in the fall. From Ontario to Cape Breton - parents rented space in a truck and the rest were u hauls. Keep all receipts for taxes.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and emma008 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Good reminder about saving receipts (gas, food and lodging) for moves more than 40km away from old residence to new residence to claim on next year's income tax return.
    Insane and Candini like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

We hired a Discount 16 ft truck a couple of weeks ago to move a few large items. The truck was surprisingly easy for me to drive, the cost was reasonable and the staff were excellent..

I'm not sure how it would work trying to drive across provinces though.

How bilingual are you??

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Good reminder about saving receipts (gas, food and lodging) for moves more than 40km away from old residence to new residence to claim on next year's income tax return.
    If moving for work.

I moved across country. Employer footed the bill so we used a moving company. Any other time, we've moved in town and used uhaul. It really depends on how much stuff you have and if you'll have help on the other end. You'll need someone to help you unload the uhaul in Quebec. Also, if you are getting quotes for renting your own truck ask about drop deposits. Most places charge huge fees to return to a different location.

It can't hurt to get some quotes and see how much. Sometimes if they have a truck going that way that isn't full, it's not that expensive.

Also check with your insurance and make sure your stuff is covered while in transit. When we moved, our insurance told us we didn't need to get insurance through the moving company as our stuff is covered under a clause we had.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Last time we rented a truck for work the drop fee was only $25 for another location
    But using it to go through another province, check the mileage limits, often they are not unlimited if you go outside ON
    ~ ~ ~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information