Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By MapleLeaves
  • 2 Post By DiamondLil
  • 1 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Do you look at the label of your clothes? An accidental surprise found

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

The other day I browsed Banana Republic's website and found a cardigan that was said to be made of 80% wool and 20% cashmere. Very nice material for a good price. I checked the local store's inventory and found it available in my local store. I purchased it in the store, and it was a final sale item.

After I got home I looked at the label inside the clothes for detailed care instruction. And I found that on the tag it clearly said 73% polyester and 27% wool. THAT is a lot different from what they described on the website. I double checked the item numbers and confirmed it's the exact same item. So I emailed BR and pointed it out to them.

They simply replied saying it was a mistake on the website and they would have it corrected (and they did have it corrected a few days later). They thanked me for my 'keen eyes', and felt sorry for me if I couldn't return it due to the final sale. But they indicated that I should have verified the material before buying when I was in store.

I really feel something's not right here. So customers are responsible for verifying and rectifying false advertisement?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    This thread is currently associated with: Banana Republic
    Last edited by MapleLeaves; Mon, Feb 10th, 2014 at 01:04 PM.
    Anna Michele and Linda Evans like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

That's not very nice. I do see their point, but it wasn't very good pr to just brush it off.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Not very nice, but I see their side too. If they still had it on their website (or if you printed it out) I'd take it back to the store and ask for a refund because that is not the item you wanted to purchase. Stores are usually good about that when they want to keep your business.
    torontogal12 and Anna Michele like this.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow thats not nice at all.. I cant believe they would do that!
    Oh Yay What a Great Freebie! Quote by Gradi O'Connell 2013

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Wow! I bet a store manager would take care of that even though their head office was useless. Now we have to verify their advertising in store too

That's too bad because Banana Republic is usually great
    DiamondLil likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm sure the federal government division that handles labels in clothing sold in Canada would take an interest in the matter as well. http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...%20/01537.html
    http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...%20/01542.html

Plus, fibre content could affect customs manifests that accompany clothing in shipments into Canada. Tariffs/trade agreements on certain fibres and from countries of origin could add to the final cost of clothing sold here.

I tend to check fibre content labels because sometimes it might convince me to buy the clothing at the tagged price or verify quality of garment. Country of manufacture is always of interest. The labels are often in the left side seam on women's tops/sweaters; skirts and pants tend to have them at the back waist.
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Feb 20th, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Thread Information