User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By abfab
  • 2 Post By couponandoff

Thread: Minimum Advertised Prices

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just saw this interesting article in the Globe & Mail.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle17360748/
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Trading Score
    102 (97%)

That is awful news
    FT: TONS of $1 Unilever Icecream,including BREYERS! EXP: AUG 31ST!

damp is a gross word.
    Trading Score
    263 (100%)

Read that yesterday too - it explains why I haven't seen pepsi or coke on sale for $2.99 since last fall. Grocers will need to ramp up their bonus points programs to entice us to purchase products with a mandatory MAP!
    engo and Gazpache like this.

FT: AYLMER ACCENTS / LEAN CUISINE / LYSOL HANDSOAP / GOLD BOND and more
    ? Are you curious ? My quest to separate cheese from bras in the Deals & Flyers Forum

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow, interesting indeed.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I wonder about their strategy - for example, I like Alpha-getti every once in a while, and buy it whenever it's on for $0.88 or $0.99. If it goes the way of Chef Boyardee and has a minimum price of $1.20, I just won't buy it.
    Actually, that goes for many things - yes I enjoy them, but I'm not going to spend more on them. I'll switch to store brands or just give it up completely.

I'm not sure there's as much product loyalty as these companies believe they have - I believe most people can't afford to pay "higher end" prices for products that they are used to paying less for.

I also don't own any stores, so I can't comment on how pricing works. I thought manufacturers sold the products to the stores, and then the stores set the prices for the consumer to give them a slight profit. Are the manufacturers saying because the stores get little to no profit when the product is on sale that they make less money?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by luckbealady View Post
    I also don't own any stores, so I can't comment on how pricing works. I thought manufacturers sold the products to the stores, and then the stores set the prices for the consumer to give them a slight profit. Are the manufacturers saying because the stores get little to no profit when the product is on sale that they make less money?
    It's more complicated than that. For competitive segments, the manufacturer pays the store for the retail space where their products are displayed, making sure they're visible. On top of that, the stores will also force the supplier to sell them the products are a certain price.

It used to be that forcing retailers to sell above a certain price was banned, but it was allowed again in 2009. It's an image thing. Some brands don't want to be seen as a "discount" product.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I think that we need to remember that the article states "advertised prices". The stores can have in-store promotions or rebates or clearances, just as long as they don't advertise the "sale" in the flyer.

Thread Information