User Tag List

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The reason why residents of Quebec are not eligible to enter many Canada sweepstakes is not because the sponsors don't want to advertise in Quebec, and it's nothing personal against any of the residents of that fine province. Rather, many sweepstakes are void in Quebec because the sponsors must follow a stringent set of rules set out by the Quebec government.
    For example, in order for sponsor to skip the "void in Quebec" restriction, Quebec sweepstakes law requires that the sponsors must do some or all of the following things:

•Register the sweepstakes rules and all advertisements used to promote the contest with the Quebec government at least 30 days ahead of the sweepstake's launch.
    •Pay a fee of up to 10% of the sweepstake's value, depending on who is allowed to enter.
    •Agree to allow the government of Quebec to mediate any lawsuits arising from the contest.
    •Follow strict guidelines about the contents of the sweepstakes rules.
    •Allow the Quebec government to determine if the sweepstake may be changed or canceled once it has started.
    •File a written report after the contest has concluded, attesting that the prizes have been delivered or attempted to be delivered.
    •Agree to follow a number of other rules and guidelines.
    While these laws are intended to protect the citizens of Quebec, they are also a significant burden of money and resources to sweepstakes sponsors, and the consequences for a mistake are severe. Rather than run the risk of facing legal action if these long and complicated rules are not followed to the letter, many sponsors take the easy route of making their contests void in Quebec.
    Thanks about.com
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Tech_gurl; Sun, Jun 19th, 2011 at 10:47 PM.

Trading Score
    150 (100%)

good read., thanks

SMRT Canuck
    Trading Score
    101 (100%)

thanks, but it still cheeses me that the government has to be so strict. Oh well ill be in Ontario in less then a week. I CAN FINALLY ENTER CONTESTS!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I hate how Quebec always has to be different. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a foreign state within my Country..We need unification. I don't mean to offend anyone, but thats how I feel.

Thanks for sharing, as I always thought the reason we don't get many contests is because companies don't want to translate everything and taxes, which is illogical because New Brunswick is bilingual.

Thread Information