User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 1 Post By TrueNorthTreasures
  • 1 Post By Retiree

Thread: Back to basics

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My Samsung smartphone is starting to croak for two weeks now. Two years old, frozen at times, acting strangely etc. I own the phone (after paying off my monthly tab), unlocked it and went with a different carrier who has better coverage. No contracts which is nice. I removed the battery and reinserted to see if that would wake it up, reset the phone, nothing helping.

It seems now if I want a smartphone I either need a contract (which I don't really want) or buy one outright (super expensive). I was told the contract policies are different now. If you have a phone worth $300.00 on a 2 year contract, you decide in 12 months time you want to quit, you pay for the remainder cost of phone. $300.00 divided by 12= $150.00. Keep the phone. And some of the companies mention you can get this phone with selected monthly plans ( some way beyond what I spend now). I currently pay around $28.00 a month which is about my maximum budget.

Fido, Rogers, Speak Out and MTS are the only ones with the best coverage in my Province. Koodo, Telus, Bell and Virgin Mobile are limited coverage where I live.

I found my old flip phone and will see it if works (prepaid top up cards) on the old cdma network on VM which still exists. Although texting is not easy on this type of phone.

I like the smartphone to check bus schedules, map, phone number if I'm in a wifi zone (never used data). Handy in that sense. Easier to text on. I'm a very light text user and basically use the phone for short calls and emergencies.

Ugh.. the saga of cell phones. Lol.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell, Fido, Rogers (Plus), Telus, Virgin Mobile
    Last edited by toban; Sun, Apr 13th, 2014 at 10:06 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I still use the little flip phone I bought in 2010, now considered "old technology" and met with a tone of disdain when I'm dealing with customer service through my cell provider. I rarely text, the monthly bill is around $12 (the lowest I can get - pay per minute kind of thing). It is a nuisance to text on, but for $12/month and no ties to a contract, I'll take it.

I have never actually even used a smart phone (or comparable gadget) or any apps. I think I would enjoy one, but frankly cannot afford the contract on one right now, and the last thing I need in my life is something that will encourage me to spend even more time online! *L*
    GoJays and Retiree like this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That is a reasonable bill TrueNorthTreasures. Do you mind mentioning which company? I found out my flip phone does work. I registered it with VM again. I just need to add a top up card. Folds easily into my purse or pocket. No butt dialing lol.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

My cell coverage is with Telus Mobility. Every month my account is debited around $11.20 (the monthly fee is $10 for a certain number of minutes - I can't remember how many - and the $1.20 is tax). I rarely use the phone, and just have it for emergencies and the occasional call. Any portion of the monthly account that is not used is carried over, which I like.

Toward the end of last year, I noticed Telus was really pushing customers to switch from whatever plan they had to a monthly plan. I did not. Honestly, all I want is a simple phone that works as a phone - not a typewriter, not a computer, not a mini video game console - and a cell phone plan that is basic and inexpensive. I find the service providers are making it more and more difficult to have this kind of simplicity.
    toban likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It seems the only choice is a flip phone or a cheap smart phone. There is hardly any prepaid phones with a qwerty keyboard except blackberries. The cheapest smart phone to buy outright is a Motorola G for $150.00. I think I saw a Huwaei? for a cheaper price. My old flip phone is semi working. I plan on staying with Speak Out wireless for coverage and cheaper plan. Just need to choose a phone.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

About a year and a half ago, I put my old flip top phone through the wash. I was unable to dry it out so had to replace it.

I went to Bell Mobility, who does have good coverage, and purchased another flip top phone. When I went into the store, I told the sales associate that I didn't want my new phone to make the beds or do the vacuuming, I just wanted it to make a call and receive a call, as I only use it when I travel, to call in once a day to pick up messages from my home phone or for emergencies. The phone cost me $129. It can take a photo, a feature I haven't used, and I can text on it, which I do on occasion, but not often.

I generally top up the phone with $100 which I good for a year Cost-wise, this works well for me.
    toban likes this.

Thread Information