• 1 Post By harbie
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By Purdee
  • 2 Post By walkonby

Thread: Small Snacks that can hit the spot

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Snacks can be a big part of my day while on a weight loss plan. Presently while I'm on 1200 calorie a day, the carbs, fat, proteins, sugar and sodium also have limits.
    Logging in every day on MyFitnessPal keeps the calculations out of my brain, which I appreciate. All I do is enter what I eat and how many grams/ounces/milliliters of each food.
    The focus is on quality nutrition.

At the start of this one on April 9, 2023 ( and in previous journeys to drop pounds ) I've placed the usual things on my snack plate like raw veg sticks with hummus, berries, low carb crackers or wraps with a thin spread of Natural Peanut butter. Egg or tuna salad placed into the wells of celery or cucumber " logs ". The more colourful the items on the plate are the better it works for me. Raw bell pepper strips are another easy one.
    Air popped kernels lightly sprayed after popping with EVOO and sprinkled with a mixture of garlic powder/Splenda and cinnamon.

However, since discovering Poppadoms and microwaving up 1 or 2 at a time I've discovered they can be used as my " Tostito " replacement. Salsa is rather low calorie, but making my own proves now better as the sugar and sodium levels from the store bought ones can be high.

Here is the easiest way to get the Poppadoms puffed up and crispy. My microwave is higher than hers so I do mine for just 30 seconds. Also I use the aerosol can of EVOO instead of brushing oil onto them.

If anyone has any ideas for other low calorie and nutritional snacks please post them. I can always modify ones that don't fit into my current lower calorie plan.
    This thread is currently associated with: Bell
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Jun 7th, 2023 at 12:44 AM.
    harbie and SassyAshley like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I had to google poppadom I wonder if the technique in th video would work with any low carb tortilla /wrap
    I used fitness pal before its so easy and convenient I need to get back on track asap
    Some of my favourite snacks ar celery with cream cheese and everything but the bagel seasoning, cucumbers with vinegar and salt n pepper, like you sweet peppers the mjni ones are great too with cream cheese and Everything btb seasoning.
    Meat and cheese in lettuce wraps add bacon mayo mustard depending on your limits
    FYI a&w does a sweet lettuce wrap no bun they use like half a head unlike Wendy's but fast food burger or chicken no bread is a nice filler midday
    I know I love steamed veggies and any kind of meat I dont even miss rice and pasta or bread it's way too filling
    I have lost zero lbs so what do I know but I do try to eat healthy at every meal

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
    harbie, walkonby and SassyAshley like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Anna Michele I don't know if nuking regular tortillas will give you this puffed up crispy effect that I get from the Poppadoms because both items start out different.
    Tortillas are soft and floppy while the Poppadoms are a hard crisp disc.
    Eating healthier should always be the first choice despite weight loss goals. I made a batch of my survival diet soup this morning, even though it is not really soup weather atm.
    I can eat a 1 or 2 cup serving of this roasted red pepper/cauliflower puree soup as a snack or as an appy before my meal.
    Now that it is cooled I will get busy pureeing it! Yummo!

Name:  roasted red pepper and cauliflower soup.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  87.1 KB
    harbie and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

One of my MIL’s used to do poppadoms that way and I did them too. I haven’t had them in ages. Maybe it’s time to give it a go again.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    One of my MIL’s used to do poppadoms that way and I did them too. I haven’t had them in ages. Maybe it’s time to give it a go again.
    I tell ya @harbie these ones I bought off of amazon work out great for that little crave of a gap before dinner or as a late snack. I re-ordered the Black Pepper ones again

https://www.amazon.ca/Pataks-Pappadu...ps%2C85&sr=8-2

I just spoon a bit of the 4 tablespoons of a low sodium salsa onto pieces of the 2 Poppadoms. Once I even melted a small bit of grated fresh Parmesan cheese over both of the Poppadoms after I had crisped them up first. Worked out nice!
    harbie likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

my ex-boss introduced me to rooster brand rice crackers; she said they are included in weight watcher plans and they are her favourite
    you can get them at the real canadian superstore and they come in 2 flavours: savoury and slightly sweet. The slightly sweet ones are round and have white "specks".
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Purdee in past weight loss ventures I LIVED on rice crackers! I topped them with any allowable filling that I could, appreciating the firmness of them ( they don't collapse or crumble ) However, for this go around I am avoiding nearly all simple carbs period. Unless they really scream at me to be eaten. ( like a small potato! Mmmm. )
    In 2022 I had bought a bit of an oversupply of Ryvita crackers so my mission now is to use every last box of them up before switching to another one. Just 3 boxes left and then I will go cracker shopping.

Thanks!
    harbie and Purdee like this.

Thread Information