• 3 Post By BCcheapMom
  • 5 Post By oscarandme
  • 3 Post By CrazyQT
  • 3 Post By cliff
  • 2 Post By oscarandme

Thread: SDM SCOP guilt trip

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I purchased two cereal boxes where the sign specified that you purchase two for $4.00 or $2.49 each. I purchased two of the qualifying items along with other items as well. When reviewing the receipt immediately after the transaction I noticed that one of the cereal boxes scanned at 3.99 and the other at 2.49. I went back to the cashier who said that she would review it and that the items would be SCOP'ed as long as they were both under $10.00. A second cashier came along and began processing the return etc. She proceeded to give me the refund and then went on to scan the items. In the time it took to process the return and for her to rescan, the items showed up at the correct price. She then goes on to tell me that they cannot scop the item as it is now scanning for free and if I wanted I could repurchase them at the tagged price. I told her that SCOP should apply and that the other cashier had affirmed this. She said that she wanted me to pay. Since there was a long line I did not want to argue, however, I find it annoying that stores try to guilt trip you into paying. I would gladly pay, however, if a store is going to display that they follow and adhere to the Scanning Code of Practice they should! I go to that store quite frequently so I part of my doesn't want to complain incase the cashier finds out and in gives me a hard time in the future, however, I think that they manager should address this issue so it doesn't happen to other people. I did however send an email to Shoppers Drug Mart customer service and will be waiting to see what they say.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    ROMEO, ticul, oscarandme and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

If it is not too far to go back tomorrow, show the manager the receipt and tell them what happened. Ask the manager for the SCOP.
    ROMEO, ticul, oscarandme and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So as an update, I did call in and spoke to the manager, he said that the tags are sometimes put up for the new sale (starting tomorrow), which I find ridiculous. Either way he said that if I come back tomorrow he can do the exchange for me.

Ive noticed other SC'ers stating that similar things have happened to them....why exactly would they put the price tags for a lot of the items earlier than the actual sale.
    ROMEO, ticul, oscarandme and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    183 (100%)

I shopped at SDM last night around 8:00pm ... and noticed that many of the current sale shelf prices had been taken down and replaced with the new flyer prices. Our flyer is Sat to Fri. So I asked one of the SDM staff that was going around putting up new signs which price would apply - the Friday flyer price or the new price ? ... he said that it is the better of the two. When I asked what time the change happened he said it wasn't a set time - anytime between 6-8pm depending on when the signs were changed and the scanning was updated.

I had one of my purchases - for the SF Olive Oil ... the sign said SF Balsamic 500 and SF Olive Oil 500g for 3.79 ... but the whole shelf of olive oil that was at that spot was the 750 size not the 500 size.... got my receipt ... saw the price of 6.99 and went back in ... As it was more of an error in the product that was placed by the sign I didn't ask for SCOP ...but they did give me the 750 size for the price that was advertised on the shelf

I am not a big SCOP person but do believe that there is a purpose for it and that is when it is clear what the advertised price is and the product is not scanning at that price. When it's a change over in product placement matching with the correct signs I give them the benefit. But I have learned to look at my receipt as I put stuff into the car. Unfortunately I find it hard to watch the cash register as they are scanning items as I am usually loading the items onto the counter as it's so small.

I'm sure if you feel it was misleading and explain that to the manager they will correct it for you.
    ROMEO, ticul, oscarandme and 1 others like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My store changes the tags before noon on Friday! It took a little getting used to because it's 'such a small store they don't keep a copy of the flyer' so I've been burned a couple of times. Now I know that the shelf tags mean diddly squat, the items scan at the price that they should scan for the correct day so now on Fridays I shop knowing what the Friday price is, knowing that if I see something cheaper it's the Saturday price (unless listed as clearance.)
    ROMEO, ticul and oscarandme like this.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

Dear OP. what I have learned is that you should call Head Office. Then they know and they will ensure that correction is done and problem is addressed. The person you dealt with was a "doh-doh" and I am holding back to what I wanted to write. I understand their doing the price changes early but that is inviting problems and if so..be prepared to be flexible with the consequences SDM. I have shared before a few times...whenever there is a problem. Remember this...the 5 Ws...(Like the old show) W5 - WHO,WHAT, WHERE, WHEN AND WHY)...get those details and call head office and SDM HQ usualy are more than understanding except the males for some reason...get a female, hang-up and call again till you get a female and explain the situation because the manager that you called will probably sweep it under the rug and gently gloss over it with "doh-doh" goof.... but HQ has been TOLD and they know that one person in charge is not correct in their handling situations and leaving a long time consumer upset and most probably others as well...not a good thing...

And OP when you go in INSIST they both should have been scoped because they are 2 seperate products both under 10.00 and both seperate brands, UPCs and they messed-up so insist on being free.

dahliagrower: I understand that you are not a SCOP person but how many times have you been overcharged ? Did they call you at home and say we owe you money? NO...that law is there to protect us and that is your hard earned money they are taking from you without a second thought. I remember so many times through out the years that we got home and noticed discrepencies and no more...I have that baby locked and loaded if something, I and many of us couponers/savvy shoppers have paid full retail for way too long-way before dollar stores where here in Canada and if you are charging me for 2 different cereals as OP stated...you stand your ground and get those free...... I only mention this because often I know we do not have time to read all posts and details if not pointed out to members that are learning about in this case, SCOPS (Scanning Code of Practice) and SDM rules might not be getting the benefits of this post. And a consumer should not feel ashamed of asking for a SCOP, you are an informed consumer,,,, that is nothing to be ashamed or shy about...you are the one waling out with a free item in your bag and money in your pocket that you were ready to spend on it...WIN-WIN and SDM or wherever you shop should have paid more attention to pricing and you do them a favor because they will/should immediately correct the price.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Jun 22nd, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
    ROMEO, Silk, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

OP, what did the manager do for you when you went back in the next day?

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    OP, what did the manager do for you when you went back in the next day?

Thanks for all your replies!! Sadly, I haven't been able to go into the store but I will be heading over first thing Monday morning, hopefully they still allow it. I still have both receipts and if anything there is time proof, as the transactions were within a 5 minute time frame. I have also emailed head office so I'll see what they can do. My only concern now is that because the purchase was on Friday and ill be going in on Monday, they will try to make up an excuse. But I did call in that evening so hopefully I do get my money back.

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

.Please do not worry about that...I was just as nervous as you are when I first started to correct situations. Go in there with a plan. See the manager and say:

When correcting something like this -it is better to be confident but not arrogant...

1. Just ask him/her: how would one proceed to correct this the right way if you had been on duty?

You keep on stand-by: The timing.(5 minutes) is irrelevant. A mistake is a mistake...As I see it even if corrected later I am still entitled under the STANDARD OPERATING CODE OF PRACTICE to 2 SCOPS because they were 2 seperate items and seperate UPCs and both seperate items are respectively each under 10.00 and I followed the advertised promotion and qualifying items hence making these purchases a total of 4.00 plus tax (if applicable, I never remember myself if food has taxes?). And expect a complete refund for both purchases that I was ordered to pay to purchase my two boxes of cereal. (READ THIS IF YOU HAVE TO).

2. And to add : the second cashier wanted me to pay ...and as I am doing this transaction people are lining-up and I have to argue with another cashier to explain what happened so keep he peace I paid...(READ THIS IF YOU HAVE TO).

With practice your "defence comeback" will come to you easier...I have often printed excellent instructions or notes from SC members giving advice and printed and stuck in my binder in case I become tung-tied...I still get tung-tied but less than before...and the few days later is irrelevant. You spoke with someone, you got the name, time, date (5Ws) and are locked and loaded. And this can all be done in a fluffy and friendly manner...my replies sound confrontational but they are just ideas to spin in your own words and tone and it works for me if it doesnt HQ definately hears about it. If Ihad a business I want feedback good and bad.

I hate hearing about bad customer service it just lights a fire under me when you are left to feel like a liar or cheater and you have done nothing wrong. If there is a twinkle of doubt, I will not argue but If I know I am right....do not try and POKE THE BEAR that knows she is right.

Good luck and keep us posted...I'm proud of you for writing HQ and they will agree that this situation was badly handled (like this sentence...I am french...) but you know what I mean... SDM is awesome and the occasional staff just like anywhere...we hit a glitch, but overall...they are awesome. I am certain you will be enjoying your free cereal by Monday night.

Note if you want to mention as well" As a SDM loyal patron you are in touch with other patrons encountering the same situation accross Canada. This is definately not an isolated incident that is certain.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Sun, Jun 22nd, 2014 at 08:44 PM.
    Silk and ticul like this.

Thread Information