User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mia001
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By Ciel

Thread: best site to know old money value ?

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

an old man gave DH some old money ( even old german mark , half crown and Newfoundland coins) to pay him back purchases he had done for him.......some of the money coins he got seem to have greater value than their face value IMHO

i seek the net to find out their true value, but i'm not sure wich site is the best....and i think maybe some of my SC friends might know the best site to find out and where to go to sell these coins

this gentleman sold a lot of old money to those people who go from town to town to buy money, gold , silver, etc..''.....they didn't took it all, i know now some only Worth their face value but for some , i think they had no clue ( personnally i don't trust these people)

thank you so much for your help
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by Mia001; Wed, Sep 3rd, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
    ticul likes this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I'm not sure if Deutschemarks are worth much these days following the conversion to the Euro back in 1999. there are still a lot of both coins and paper money being held by specultors in hopes that pre-Euro currency can be sold to other collectors.

There is a lot more intereast in pre-unifiction currency esp the East German mark but unless you have pre WWI or later 20thC coins in precious metals..I doubt if there is much demand or evven an easy way to exchang those kinds of coins.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

1913 silver drei marks
    and
    1920 ad 1923 half pound ( didn' t check but i bet they are silver too)
    and
    old us dollars

i think they are good for collectionners (SP?)

however some others coins are too flat we can't see what they are , if they are silver maybe they worth their weight in silver....doesn't Worth it IMHO
    Last edited by Mia001; Wed, Sep 3rd, 2014 at 08:15 PM.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

You might want to look at ebay for a rough value...

Otherwise talk to a local museum, univerity or other historical inclinded society to see if they know a reputable coin dealer. I'd be wary of any-one posting local flyers..
    Mia001 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Libraries may still carry Scott's catalogues for antiques, coins/money, and postage stamps. Check your online catalogue to see if your local branch or main branch has a fairly recent copy for coins. You'd be amazed how $$ worth or not some things are. I did that with postage stamps (used though and a store owner told me he only deals in new stamps)-there were prices for mint condition and used. Since some stamps are really artistic depending on decade and country, I just kept them stuffed in envelopes. The stamp catalogue showed me the ones in series I did not have (Canada, Yugoslavia, US, US/Canada Xmas stamps)-fun research if you can set aside an hour or so to look up these things.

Another title seems to be Standard Catalog of World Coins.
    Older catalogues might circulate and current editions might be In Library Only usage.

Before 1949, Newfoundland was not part of Canada so it had its own money and postage stamps. There's even a book just for Newfoundland money!
    http://hpl.bibliocommons.com/item/sh...f_newfoundland
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Sep 3rd, 2014 at 10:06 PM.
    Mia001 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm curious, Mia-did you get the research on the coins and go to a dealer to try to cash in?
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

You can google it. I am sure you will find the right one.

Thread Information