User Tag List

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By joseff
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By Shwa Girl
  • 1 Post By joseff

Thread: how to you cook for low sodium diets and still eat frugally?

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

How on earth do you eat for a low sodium, low fat diet and still not break the bank?
    Plus, most options for healthier eating are not able to be eaten in our household.
    None to very little diary for one person;
    Nothing easy like raw veggies for one person, for chewing reasons;
    No nuts or peanut butter for one person.
    within these restrictions, I also need to pack quick lunches, which have normally always been sandwiches with chopped meat or cheese, a baked snack and a dessert of some sort.
    I'm struggling trying to figure out these dietary changes while still being able to be frugal and tasty!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

joseff, you sure do have a challenge there. ( my sympathies ) Are the people involved with the restrictions young or elderly?
    I ask because I am wondering if they help you in any way at the point of shopping or prep? Or could that person(s) simply just make their own dishes up and freeze?
    If it is you alone at the helm planning, searching, shopping and cooking for the lot them I am thinking go for all the REAL food, making the meals from scratch wherever possible and avoiding packaged things that are labelled low sodium/fat/etc. because they ALL come at a premium price. ( and are often very unhealthy anyways )

The lunches are tricky I see with no raw veggies for one, but is fruit out of the question? Is a yogurt snack an option at all? Instead of sandwiches are thermos filled meals an option? ( homemade soups/casseroles or stew with controlled fat/sodium levels )
    Sorry I guess I am not much help here, but I sure understand that dilemma when you are just trying to get the meal on the table and having to fuss over 3 or more different restrictions makes a one dish meal for everyone near impossible. I hope you get some other posts and suggestions.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by joseff View Post
    within these restrictions, I also need to pack quick lunches, which have normally always been sandwiches with chopped meat or cheese, a baked snack and a dessert of some sort.
    About lunches, Dietitians of Canada's website may help
    http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-R...g-Lunches.aspx

About the rest, I don't know your province. In Ontario, you can call Eat Right Ontario, free, to talk about all these food questions. They even have a contest now where you can win a Sobey's gift card. That may help with your food purchases.

If you are in another province, they may have similar programs

http://www.eatrightontario.ca/en/Art...x#.VFZAP1dRmsY
    walkonby likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

walkonby: the person is my DH, 57 and having ailments related to aging. He is also the one with all those restrictions. I refuse to cook two meals for each meal, so we both have to eat the same thing. It can be done, just a huge change right now in our diets.
    walkonby likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Shwa Girl: thanks for the link, it should help some

Thread Information