User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Being discriminated for buying food from dollar store!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired
    Can you believe that I was discriminated by a dollar store manager for buying pasta?
    I bought some items that I wanted to exchange for pasta and he said oh no the price didn’t match, so he couldn’t give me the exchange. So, then I went to get items of the same price, then he said oh,no, you bought these too long ago, can’t give you exchange. I was like what?? He was like you were supposed to ask you can exchange within how many days!! I was so mad!!! I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges. So, I was like why did he made it so hard for me, then I realized he discriminated me for choosing the pasta from there. I was a stranger to him.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Trading Score
    167 (100%)

Its possible its discrimmination but its also possible they don't do exchanges. The whole point of the $ store is they give NO service. We can't return anything at the store near me. I'm sorry you had this experience but please don't take it personal.. its most likely not personal.
    Be sure to click like and post a brag if you get the deal.. It makes my day!!! Flattery may just get you more deals

Be sure to double check your flyer, points and cashback offers~ YMMV

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

OP here our dollar stores are VERY clear NO exchanges, No refunds. I even watched a woman who had bought the wrong size item and she had only JUST bought it 1/2 hour earlier, showed the receipt and wanted to change it for the bigger size. They refused her.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Our dollar store has no returns or exchanges too.
    I heard someone say; There's service, price and quality, pick any two because you can't have all three.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Unless he clearly made a discriminatory remark to you about purchasing pasta then I don't think you have grounds to say you were discriminated against.

Years ago when I was a cashier I had a customer that came through my line on a hot afternoon. She purchased a few items and one of them included a Dr. Oetker pizza. She paid for her items and left. About an hour and a half later she returned to the store with the pizza which was now warm and soggy inside the box. (probably left it in the car) She said I sold it to her like that. I disagreed with her stating I would never sell her an item in that condition. She then started getting angry and telling me I was discriminating against her because she had an accent.

I was so offended by her off sided remark. I did take it personally because that was not the case at all. I treat everyone with respect equally. She went as far as to speak to my manager and told my manger the same remark that I refused her return (I hadn't even said I wouldn't return it I was just explaining to her I know it was frozen when she bought it because I was her cashier) because she had an accent. (she was Italian).

I am assuming she's insecure in her own life about her nationality or something but for her to accuse me of being discriminating was worse than if I actually was. IMO.
    Last edited by CrazyQT; Sat, Feb 21st, 2015 at 01:51 PM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't see any evidence of discrimination in what you wrote. Did he actually say anything about buying food there?
    I think it's more likely, as others have said, that this store has a strict but unclear returns/exchanges policy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Yep...I don't see any discrimination against you. You are assuming...he didn't let you exchange for any items, not just the pasta. I'm not sure I see the point here?

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

An exchange is an exchange of a same item as if it had a defect i can see him saying you can exchange a broken cup for an un broken cup (i have done this) but not a eeturn for a completely diffrrent item (food) i can see him exchanging expired food for unexpired food.
    I think there was some miscomunication
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Policy is final sale, no exchange, no refund.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ok,,, you all missed this part..."I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges" This means that they do allow exchanges, it doesn't matter when I do the exchanges, and I did my exchanges at another branh of the dollar store. Which means that the manager was just giving me a hard time!
    dededi likes this.
    GET $5 OFF Herbal and Nutritional Items Coupon Code: XIF785 http://www.iherb.com Low shipping charges to Canada Save about 30-40% Off retail prices. 14,000+Brand-Name Herbal & Nutritional Items Pay No TAX on items!

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Which dollar store are you referring to? Dollarama? Buck or Two? A small business?
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Then that might be the manager's individual policy. Did the manager who refused specifically make a remark about food? Store managers are very wary of food returns because they often have to throw the stuff out, so they lose money on food returns. If that manager was giving you are hard time it doesn't necessarily mean it's discrimination. It could be that particular store's policy. This happens everywhere. Some managers are tougher than others and at other stores it has nothing to do with what you purchase, why is that the case here?

Is there something else you forgot to mention, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    Ok,,, you all missed this part..."I called another branch of the dollar store, and they said they don’t really have a time limit policy on exchanges" This means that they do allow exchanges, it doesn't matter when I do the exchanges, and I did my exchanges at another branh of the dollar store. Which means that the manager was just giving me a hard time!
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Freestuffrighthere View Post
    I didn't miss this, but it didn't strike me as odd either. Dollar stores are often individually owned and one store doesn't set the policies for another. I think what people were saying was that it's unusual for a dollar store to accept returns and exchanges at all, let alone for unlike products.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Every dollar store I've been in has signs stating "No refunds no exchanges". That being said I do know of some dollar stores that will do exchanged regardless of the signs but it definitely seems to be at the managers discretion.
    I don't think it's discrimination when he's following corporate policy.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    Which dollar store are you referring to? Dollarama? Buck or Two? A small business?
    I am talking about Dollar Tree. Their policy is" We will gladly exchange any unopened item with original reciept. We do not offer refunds." This is printed on their receipt.
    terry2144 and dededi like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information