User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Public transit in Hamilton

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Two things to note:

1) The Hamilton Specator wrote in yesterday's paper of a possible HSR bus drivers' strike. http://www.thespec.com/news-story/55...a-strike-vote/

Wonder how post-secondary students will get around for their end of semester classes & final exams if there are no buses?
    Or the students needing to travel to schools or out of catchment schools? Shuttle buses?

Adults will only walk so far one-way to work. I guess carpools might form.

2) Next week, the City of Hamilton will be holding four Public Information Centres on its Transportation Master Plan for 2031 and beyond. http://www.hamilton.ca/CityDepartmen...ect_friendly=1

Upcoming Public Engagement sessions

Each of the meetings below will occur between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm

I was looking through my March 12 community paper with the City notices and saw the transportation master plan public notice.
    This thread is currently associated with: Guess
    terry2144 and dededi like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They approved the fare hike too, $0.15 this year
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Since the current adult fare has been in place since 2012 and there were groups advocating to keep transit affordable, Hamilton is likely to play catchup in the fare dept. It's more than $3 in Burlington, Oakville & Mississauga for adult transit fares.

With tokens, TTC is under $3 per token-just wish Toronto Council made their day pass available for two adults during the weekdays when the under 12 demographic group were getting their free rides approved.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@AnnaMi chele & @coupongirl , you both likely have encountered the one-lane Cent. Pkwy today!
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...nday-1.3005550

Bus detours for Concession Street routes affected by road construction:
    http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...WebVersion.pdf

Around the Bay race is on THIS SUNDAY. Route detours through downtown and across the city:
    http://www.hamilton.ca/CityServices/...HSRDetours.htm

Glad that there are counters on four of the heaviest routes for passengers. 5-Delaware can be sardine city going into McMaster from Ancaster via West Hamilton. And when the 51-University stops operating at the end of April, it can be really hard to board on campus, even on weekends. http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/..._OffSurvey.pdf
    Anna Michele and dededi like this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Coming to Hamilton from Brantford to live showed me how different two cities can be.I think Hamilton has a pretty good transit system all things considered. The two hour transfer rocks, never saw one valid for that long. Plus if you get the Presto card, it is only $2.00 per ride and it acts as your transfer. If you can get anywhere in the city for $2.00 that is a pretty fair deal, IMO.

I have had job interviews in Oakville and Mississauga and the Presto is accepted on them as well. So I only used one card for the whole trip there and back. Plus reduced fare on the GO. I think the highest fare was Oakville, $3.50 cash fare if I am not mistaken and there buses were not even frequent.

Now mind you, I am not a frequent flier on transit or anything but from the small sampling of my travels, it is not that bad. Can it better, sure it can but at what price?? Someone has to pay for it and we all can guess who that will be.
    dededi likes this.
    Insurance Graduate Class of 2014
    I need coupons big time!

What do you do with a elephant that has three balls? Walk him and pitch to the Rhino!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

After Hamilton, Mississauga Transit routes are about as good. Service levels in Burlington and Oakville during off-peak hours on weekdays are not great and because they each have two GO stations as well, it's not a surprise transit costs more in those two places. But at least Burlington Transit has the 101 express route which shortens travel time to Mapleview Centre (pity the buses no longer enter the mall property because the westbound stop requires a hike across the busy intersection at Fairview).

It's kind of amusing to see the interior of some Oakville Transit buses used on the Lakeshore route between BurlOak and downtown Oakville-there are Spanish signs inside the bus.
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

95% of bus drivers who voted yesterday wanted ATU 107 to have a strike mandate. April 9 is the first day of the strike unless the City and the union figure out an agreement before that date.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/55...trike-mandate/
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I was on a bus today, driver said he doubts it will come to a strike
    dededi likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It seems transit goers are expected to come up with alternate transit options.
    http://www.thespec.com/news-story/55...rivers-strike/

I made a point to vote for Brad Clark because I agreed with his bus rapid transit support. I did like the LRT idea but that only really works before an area is built-up. See Vaughan, which is putting LRT in a new section being built. Downtown Hamilton needs economic activity but not more construction or traffic lane blockages.

Must be why there are so many So-Bi bicycle racks set up in West Hamilton in recent weeks (between McMaster University and downtown).
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Sobi had their roll out scheduled almost a year ago but they will come in useful if there is a strike.
    Still even the 750 total bikes across the city won't help. CBC said 30k ppl use the buses to get to work alone.
    Ciel and dededi like this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Sobi had their roll out scheduled almost a year ago but they will come in useful if there is a strike.
    Still even the 750 total bikes across the city won't help. CBC said 30k ppl use the buses to get to work alone.
    I'm sure that some of the HSR passengers are coming in from GO buses/trains for work/school as well as on Burlington Transit. It's not unheard of spending more than an hour going one-way to get somewhere if one's route does not include an express bus.

The ATU local 107 website mentions the membership is meeting today to talk about the agreement. Wednesday is ratification vote day. http://atu107.com/

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Most of the people I commute with spend 90+ mins commuting. The train to Toronto is 75mins Aline, add a HSR & TTC ride, up to 2hr each way with connection time
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Two-thirds of the ATU Local 107 membership voted 86% in favour of the new four-year deal. Less physiotherapy coverage is a concern as the rough City curb lanes do affect driver's bodies.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/55...-new-contract/

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The HSR website has some of the Fall Bus News information online:
    1) The Fare hike-it means the old blue adult tickets will need an extra 15 cents added (you can only use them up in September).
    2) McMaster students will have to show two IDs to get the student pass fare-the school ID plus the HSR transit pass.
    New for September 2015!
    McMaster University students must now present both their valid McMaster Student ID card plus the new HSR Transit Pass with matching Student ID # as issued by the school.
    3) Fall bus schedules take effect on September 6.
    4) 21-Upper Kenilworth gets a route extension and 18-Waterdown gets new routing.
    Extension of Route 21 - UPPER KENILWORTH
    With the roadway improvements completed in the Mud Street and Pritchard Road area, we can now extend this route into the Heritage Greene Plaza. This route will operate via Mountain Brow Blvd., Mud St., Pritchard Rd., Stone Church Rd., Winterberry Dr., Artfrank St., and Upper Mount Albion Rd. The recovery point will be at the bus bay on the west side of Upper Mount Albion Rd. just north of Stone Church.

This route will no longer be interlined with Route 33 - SANATORIUM. This route will now service the inside of Mohawk College campus in both directions.
    New routing of Route 18 - WATERDOWN
    A new two direction routing (clockwise and counter-clockwise) will be implemented. The routing will service the residential areas along Hollybush Dr. and Spring Creek Dr. as well as commercial areas along Clappison Ave. and Horseshoe Cres.

Additional Weekday service has been added along with Saturday service, which will operate from approximately 8 am to 8 pm.
    http://www.hamilton.ca/hsr-bus-sched...ect_friendly=1
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Aug 13th, 2015 at 02:05 PM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Glad to see the regular schedules back, the summer schedule means that I either get to the GO early or barely make my train
    Ciel likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information