User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Costco Shoppers, I'd like your suggestions...

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

My parents just joined Costco and Mom & I went in the other day and were rather overwhelmed, lol.

For those of you who shop at Costco I am trying to figure out what products you think are best to purchase at Costco as opposed to regular stores.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    This thread is currently associated with: Costco, Shoppers Drug Mart
    Shwa Girl likes this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi dreamcatcher1962,

Costco can save you a lot if you know your prices and do a valid comparison on unit prices. Here's an example: In Ontario, for this current week, Costco has 'Olay Ultra-Moisture Beauty Bars' ( 16 x 113 g ) on for $14.99 - $3.50 ( instore instant savings ) making them $11.49 pre-tax. The cost per 113 g bar of soap is approximately 72 cents. At Walmart a 2 pack of the 113g same type of Olay sells for $3.27 pre-tax, which makes one bar approximately $1.64. That's a 56% savings! That's not to say that you can't find a comparable price in your local grocery store, or even beat that price with a sale + coupon + rebate.

I always go in with a list. If I'm prepared it means I'm less likely to resort to impulse purchases which can add up very quickly!
    Zonny, walkonby, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I buy chicken thighs there regularly (price is decent, quality is better than Sobeys/Superstore), pork is a good deal too. Beef has gotten extremely expensive everywhere, but their steak is much better than grocery stores too.

In produce I buy mushrooms, romaine lettuce, baby cut carrots, broccoli, as well as bacon, cheddar, Boursin (cheese spread), Astro yogurt cups. K cups are a good deal if you have a Keurig. Cereal can be a deal, just have to watch for the sales. Ice cream sandwiches are good too.
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Jun 2nd, 2015 at 05:07 PM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Love the meats at Costco...like Zonny said, boneless, skinless chicken thighs (tossed in breadcrumbs, baked YUM!), we buy the big pkgs of ground beef and split them into thirds to freeze, likewise their centre-cut pork chops (totally devoid of fat), pork loins (you just have to remove the grey tendon part), we don't eat a lot of red meat...we do buy their frozen fish...We find that although the veggies look tempting, there's just too much in most packages for the two of us. that's primarily why we shop there...as far as canned goods go, there isn't much of a sale unless they're offering $ off with coupons...you really have to know your prices for things like Primo (etc) soups, and such; just because Costco bundles them, doesn't mean things are always a good deal. Happy hunting!

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

thanks very much everyone
    Will keep those suggestions in mind before our next trip in.
    Lynn49 and Shwa Girl like this.
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I buy bone-in chicken thighs, as i often use them in the crockpot. Bones add more flavor, and thighs stay moist. We rarely buy breasts and never at Costco. I'm sure they're awesome, but they can't be THAT awesome. The price is crazy.

Another item we buy is frozen salmon. I don't think it's much cheaper but it's easy. My DS loves salmon, he gets that if we're having something he doesn't like. It's individually wrapped.

Canned goods almost never. But I've read their canned tomatoes are great.
    dreamcatcher1962 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Milk: cheaper than their competitors. I pick up 3L of cream almost every time I go.
    Cottage cheese & sour cream: not sure if you get Baxter's products, but they're normally a great deal.
    Lemons: usually a nice size compared to everywhere else.
    Naan: 2.99 for 12

Keep an eye on items ending in .97 because they're trying to get rid of it.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Only thing about the lemons, you have to buy I think a three or five pound bag, so not great unless you can use them all. Avocados too.

Roots backpacks are normally $20, they go on for $15 sometimes. If something goes on sale after you've bought it, you can go back and get the difference back. And their return policy rocks, you don't even need a receipt.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank God I am blessed with a photographic memory and can easily remember prices of items when it comes to shopping at Costco and comparing pricing to other stores.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

a friend of mine goes there often and has said she only buys Costco brand of bathroom tissue because it is always the best price compared with other brands?? ( I am nor a member but I think it is called Kirkland )

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    a friend of mine goes there often and has said she only buys Costco brand of bathroom tissue because it is always the best price compared with other brands?? ( I am nor a member but I think it is called Kirkland )
    Not sure about the TP, but I see it in carts all the time....you can't beat their "Kleenex"...Kirkland brand, 3-ply and soft as the dickens!
    ROMEO, walkonby, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I always get their Lysol packs (3 very big tubs), Frozen organic peas, Frozen organic corn, Milk, ciabatta rolls which I freeze, celebration sheet cakes (I order plain and decorate myself, $20), Ocean Spray Cranberries, small packs of choc milk for DS's lunch, juices, grilled chicken, Atitude salad. I also use to order a large deluxe pizza ready-to-go (I think $9.50)
    ROMEO, Lynn49, walkonby and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jina View Post
    I always get their Lysol packs (3 very big tubs), Frozen organic peas, Frozen organic corn, Milk, ciabatta rolls which I freeze, celebration sheet cakes (I order plain and decorate myself, $20), Ocean Spray Cranberries, small packs of choc milk for DS's lunch, juices, grilled chicken, Atitude salad. I also use to order a large deluxe pizza ready-to-go (I think $9.50)
    Jina...do the organic peas and corn have the Certified Canadian labels on them? If they do, it means they're free of GMOs and prohibited pesticides and I can eat corn again!
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Jina...do the organic peas and corn have the Certified Canadian labels on them? If they do, it means they're free of GMOs and prohibited pesticides and I can eat corn again!
    Let me check that tonight and I'll let you know

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher1962 View Post
    thanks very much everyone
    Will keep those suggestions in mind before our next trip in.
    this thread may help
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/162029-...-items-canada/
    dreamcatcher1962 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information