• 2 Post By goulaisgirl
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By kava5
  • 2 Post By BC Gal
  • 1 Post By walkonby
  • 2 Post By kava5
  • 1 Post By kava5
  • 2 Post By Tweets77

Thread: Anyone had success self-installing cheap & cheerful kitchen flooring?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Anyone had success self-installing cheap & cheerful kitchen flooring?
    Would like to cover up finally ugly old tiles by directly laying new peel & stick tiles over them. Anybody have advice?
    I'm open to other concepts -painting the floor, other materials...
    Especially does anyone recommend a particular vendor or product to try? I'm gearing towards getting something at Home Depot but not sure where to start.
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Depot
    ROMEO and walkonby like this.

goulaisgirl
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i am going to try the vinyl plank flooring this weekend , will let you know how it goes, My coworkers say its very easy with great results
    ROMEO and kava5 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

kava5 I was under the impression HD was discontinuing the peel and stick tiles. The last time I was in searching for some they had nothing! Believe it or not I have seen peel and stick tiles at a Dollar Store many times. Good luck. Is your kitchen floor area large? That was always our problem, a large floor surface translated into more $$ than we wanted to spend.
    kava5 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    kava5 I was under the impression HD was discontinuing the peel and stick tiles. The last time I was in searching for some they had nothing! Believe it or not I have seen peel and stick tiles at a Dollar Store many times. Good luck. Is your kitchen floor area large? That was always our problem, a large floor surface translated into more $$ than we wanted to spend.
    I've seen the peel & stick at Dollarama, but they were all beige-ish, & I wanted more a more grey look.

Finally ordered 12 in. x 12 in. Coastal Grey Resilient Vinyl Tile Flooring (yes peel & stick!) at Home Depot.

Here's the link, the reviews are very interesting to read:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cera...ft-case/915992

We ordered 2 cases for our kitchen, so that's $120, not bad if it ends up looking like ceramic tile like the reviews promise. The in-store samples looked very classy.

We just placed the order so haven't received these yet: I'll try to remember to post how it all turns out.

Thanks for wishing me luck as this will be the 1st time I've ever attempted to install a floor.
    Last edited by kava5; Sun, May 24th, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by goulaisgirl View Post
    i am going to try the vinyl plank flooring this weekend , will let you know how it goes, My coworkers say its very easy with great results
    Hope this project goes well for you. One of my co-workers warned against "floating laminate" (the click & lock type) as they reported some water leaking under their floor after a few years so I decided to go with peel 'n' stick.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

It all depends on the condition of the floor you are putting it over. I got cheap peel n stick tile then realized there was a lot more prep to the floor before I could lay it. Any tiny little bump or divot showed through. The second floor I did was over bare plywood and it had some knots and I wanted a nice smooth laying floor. I used the Allure flooring from Home Depot; it comes in strips of three and just sticks together along the seam. It was a bit harder to lay as it needs to be put down correctly the first shot, but it was a beautiful flat floor once finished. I saw mixed reviews on the Home Depot website about this product, but I really liked it and found it to be very durable and easy to clean.
    kava5 and walkonby like this.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kava5 View Post
    I've seen the peel & stick at Dollarama, but they were all beige-ish, & I wanted more a more grey look.

Finally ordered 12 in. x 12 in. Coastal Grey Resilient Vinyl Tile Flooring (yes peel & stick!) at Home Depot.

Here's the link, the reviews are very interesting to read:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/cera...ft-case/915992

We ordered 2 cases for our kitchen, so that's $120, not bad if it ends up looking like ceramic tile like the reviews promise. The in-store samples looked very classy.

We just placed the order so haven't received these yet: I'll try to remember to post how it all turns out.

Thanks for wishing me luck as this will be the 1st time I've ever attempted to install a floor.
    one of the reviews said they used grout in between? I thought the peel and stick tiles were placed flush with each edge? Oh well I am sure yours will look mahvelous ( my sad Billy Crystal as Fernando reference....lol )
    kava5 likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by BC Gal View Post
    It all depends on the condition of the floor you are putting it over. I got cheap peel n stick tile then realized there was a lot more prep to the floor before I could lay it. Any tiny little bump or divot showed through. The second floor I did was over bare plywood and it had some knots and I wanted a nice smooth laying floor. I used the Allure flooring from Home Depot; it comes in strips of three and just sticks together along the seam. It was a bit harder to lay as it needs to be put down correctly the first shot, but it was a beautiful flat floor once finished. I saw mixed reviews on the Home Depot website about this product, but I really liked it and found it to be very durable and easy to clean.
    Yes the old floor showing through cheap vinyl replacement tiles is a problem I saw mentioned a few times. This would depend on the thickness of the new tiles used: a cheap vinyl replacement tile would be 1 to 1.2mm thick. That's why I made sure to look for tiles at least 2mm thick. The ones we ended up ordering are listed at 3mm thick, & no reviews mentioned problems with old tile showing through, but the drawback with using thicker tiles is that they are much harder to cut.

I'm glad you like your new flooring!
    Last edited by kava5; Mon, May 25th, 2015 at 12:05 PM.
    walkonby and BC Gal like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    one of the reviews said they used grout in between? I thought the peel and stick tiles were placed flush with each edge? Oh well I am sure yours will look mahvelous ( my sad Billy Crystal as Fernando reference....lol )
    Installing grout is too high-end for my ambition. These tiles are apparently able to be installed with or without grout. I used the Google image search engine to see examples of this tile installed without grout and the pics people posted looked great, IMO.

Actually this is a good tip: if you are interested in a particular type of floor, the Google image search function can be very useful to see some peoples' posted results.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

We put down a peel and stick tile looking floating floor in my mother's utility room. I has been down about 10 months now, and still looks brand new. Purchased at Home Depot but was over $200.
    kava5 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tweets77 View Post
    We put down a peel and stick tile looking floating floor in my mother's utility room. I has been down about 10 months now, and still looks brand new. Purchased at Home Depot but was over $200.
    Do you recall which product you installed? (might be kind of tough to remember after so long...)

If you select a product that doesn't absolutely require professional installation & are able to self install you've already saved about $1000 (and up) in labour costs (this figure I was able to calculate online by using Home Depot's flooring cost estimator calculator.)

Professionally installing some types of carpeting or hardwood flooring might cost thousands of dollars: IMO if you are able to get away with less than $250 to $300 to get a whole new floor you got it cheap!

It also depends on how important the room is to you. For example if your kitchen or bathroom has really ugly tile it might be well worth a few hundred dollars to replace it if only to spruce up your mood.

Thread Information