User Tag List

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bhlombardy
  • 1 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Some tablets dont accept coupons application like mine a PROSCAN WHY?

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

It is so annoying .I tried to install the check out 51,coupgon ,snap save,save and cartsmart coupons......Tablet Proscan dont support this version,device..........

So FRUSTRATED I want to benefit savings on that too.

Anyone else experiance this........???

I loaded those applications with google play

Cellulars dont have this problem
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have the same problem

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

PROSCAN...you get what you pay for. There is a reason that tablet is cheap, and shows that not all tablets are created equal. One has to ask...have you update to the latest Android version yet?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'll chime in and second What Beachdown says Not all tablets are created equal... and you get what you pay for.

Also, not all APPS are created equal.

When a developer creates an app and makes it available on the Play store, it's looking for compatibility ... let's call it a minimum "scores" (so to speak, and for this discussion) of performance for compatible devices. (you won't be able to see this score -- and you dont need to).

The app will attempt to match the scores it needs to scores of the device specs, such as the display resolution and screen are of a minimum size... your graphics processor is of certain performance... your main processor is of a minimum performance (speed and ability)... minimum memory specification... your version of the Android OS... etc.

If all of these meet or exceed the minimum required "scores" then the app will be considered compatible and it will show in the Play store. If it's not, it really shouldnt show at all while you're browsing the Play store on that device... or if it does, it should say "not compatible with this device" (which is what it sounds like it's doing)

Also, the app wants to be sure that your device is a compatible type (Tablet or phone)... Some apps are NOT designed to run on both. Many are only designed to run on phones... some are only designed to run on tablets. These specific apps you mention, where they are intended to be mobile (for use while shopping) MIGHT not be designed to run on tablets. if the app not designed for that particular type of device, it wouldn't show at all, or it should report that it's incompatible. (Some times a developer will make a separate version for tablets or phones)

You might have the best, most expensive Android tablet on the market... but again, if the app is designed for phones, you wont be able to use it.

Lastly, you have to be sure you're in the proper region for certain apps. For example, you can't (properly) download the Dunkin Donuts app on your device if you're in Canada, as it's only for use in the US. Once again, if not designed for that particular region, it shouldnt show at all, or it should report that it's incompatible.

All of the above limitations are to prevent you the frustration of buying/downloading/installing the apps only to discover that it doesnt work after the fact. Not letting you retrieve it in the first place is actually to your benefit.

But if you're saying the Play store is showing these apps while you browse the Play store app on your PROSCAN... and they download, but they just arent working, then either the app developer isnt properly 'scoring' it's app's minimum performance requirements --- or the PROSCAN tablet is reporting it's performance scores incorrectly, or you've got other problems with the tablet.

Without knowing/seeing the problem first hand, it's all hard to determine... even less likely to resolve.

However, back to the original point... PROSCAN is not a performance brand name. It's a budget brand name. It's more likely cut corners on the performance to make it more budget friendly. There's a reason some tablets cost $99 and others cost $799

-----

Case in point:

I have the following:
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab4 7-inch tablet...
    - Samsung Galaxy Tab-S 10-inch tablet...
    - Galaxy S5 phone (personal)
    - Galaxy Ace-II phone (work).

They can run many of the same apps, but in many other cases, there are apps that will only run on one or two of the three (for any given reason).

The Ace-II is a Samsung and runs Android... but it can't run many of the same apps, because it just doesnt perform as well as the other devices. Yet some apps that run on the Ace-II do NOT run on the Tab-S... because it's not a phone.

So, I did a check of the apps you listed:
    Checkout 51 - compatible with all my devices -- I suspect performance issue with the Proscan
    Coupgon - all my devices
    -- I suspect performance issue with the Proscan
    Snap (by Groupon) - incompatible on my AceII (performance)
    Cartsmart - only compatible with my phones, NOT my tablets (seemingly only designed for phones)
    beachdown likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here are the specs: You can see that the CPU and the RAM isn't up to the job

http://www.curtisint.com/products/Im...ts/PLT8031.pdf

8" TFT LCD 5 POINTS CAPACITIVE SCREEN 4:3
     O.S: ANDROID 4.0
     CPU: BOXCHIP A10 1.2 GHZ, GPU: 400 MHZ
     RAM: 512MB DDR3 (this is the minimal require for ICS)
     RESOLUTION:800*600
     VIDEO FORMAT (1080P): WMV, MKV, MOV, AVI, RM/RMVB, MPEG-2/4.
     AUDIO FORMAT:MP3,WMA,3GP,AACFLAC,WAV.OGG
     SOFTWARE: SUPPORT WORD, EXCEL, PPT, PDF, MSN, SKYPE.
     GAME: 3D GAME, G-SENSOR GAME, CLASSIC GAME, TOUCH GAME.
     AUTOMATIC SCREEN ROTATION: FOUR-DIRECTION ROTATE SCREEN.
     HARD DISK: 4GB NAND FLASH
     SUPPORT EXTERNAL 3G MODULE (NOT INCLUDED)
     SUPPORT WIFI:802.11B/G/N
     SUPPORT 1.3 MP CAMERA,
     SUPPORT 1080P/ 3D VIDEO OUTPUT
     TF X 1(MAXIMUM: 32GB)
     MINI USB X 1
     HDMI X1 (no cables included for this)
     STEREO AUDIO OUT X 1
     MICROPHONE IN X 1
     RECHARGEABLE LI-POLYMER BATTERY:4400MAH/5V 2AH

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

It doesn't work because the designer of the app has to create the app to work with that specific tablet. Each tablet has a different size and might have different code that the designers have to change. If it is a tablet that is not very popular, the developers don't spend time rewriting the app if they know only a few people will use it on that specific tablet.

For example: if they know 10,000 people will use it on Proscan, but 1 million people will use it on ipad, they will focus on iPad and not even bother with Proscan because it would cost them more time and money to make it, and very few people will use it.

That's why people stopped creating apps for Blackberry and it's the reason why many people switch their phones to iPhone. It is the most popular selling phone, so the iPhone version of apps always come out first. If you want to make sure everything is compatible for you, you need to get a very popular tablet like iPad or Samsung Galaxy, or try using a phone with wifi to upload your receipts
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Oct 18th, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
    walkonby likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

With tablets, it is typically all about the fact they do not have a 3-5MP+ rear facing camera
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Say what now? But there is one with 8MP rear facing camera...Google's Nexus 9.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    With tablets, it is typically all about the fact they do not have a 3-5MP+ rear facing camera

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

The proscan one the thread is about, I have no issues using coupon apps on my tablet.
    But the typical reason they give for not allowing downloads to some devices is the camera needed to take a photo of your receipt has to be rear facing and 3-5MP dependent on app.
    Cheaper tablets tend to be front facing crappy cameras, as with ProScan (although I know people on here who sideload the app and it works)
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^ Yes it's about PROSCAN, but you said and I quote "With tablets, it is typically all about the fact they do not have a 3-5MP+ rear facing camera"

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Yes, but the tablet with the good camera would be able to download the app

so therefore, when you can't download it, it is usually because of the camera makes sense
    ~ ~ ~

Thread Information