User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: ok WM and NF we are friends again, reduced produce deals!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fantastic buys! My Walmart is stingy with the $1 bags...haven't seen a bag worth buying yet. The NF near me puts out really rotten looking produce with the 50% off sticker. Lucky you
    avoncallingu likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineTea View Post
    Fantastic buys! My Walmart is stingy with the $1 bags...haven't seen a bag worth buying yet. The NF near me puts out really rotten looking produce with the 50% off sticker. Lucky you
    oh I agree about NF now, but they used to be fantastic! Two very large carts always overflowing with veggies and fruits, many used to be organic ones too! But then it started going downhill, and as I searched through I'd see things that were bubbling! Like when things are pussy? Can't explain it very well but stuff like that is NOT going to be sold to anyone with half a brain no matter how cheap it is.
    I hope that my WM continues to keep the bags filled and the stuff as fresh as they have until now. Such a treat to catch a break when most everything else is going up in price.
    avoncallingu likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

well it took enough time, plenty of work and some mess but I ended up with 6 x 1 Litre jars of pretty thick and flavourful sauce. I had accidentally let the mixture reduce so much in my giant electric cooker ( fell asleep ) that it looked like tomato paste, so I added boiled water back to it so I could fill my jars.
    Does anyone remember or know what amount of tomatoes it takes to fill 1 jar? I started with 39 lbs of tomatoes, so appears in my case it took about 6.5 lbs of tomatoes for 1 Litre of sauce ( there is some waste there through skins, cores, seeds and removing any blemishes )
    avoncallingu likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    I am not psychic but was just lucky the reduced cart was being wheeled out shortly after I entered the store today at WM!!
    Every bag is just $1.00 ( as many of you know )
    I got 2 bags ( with 16 in each ) med/lg sized gala apples, 1 bag ( with 9 extra lg ) Asian pears, 2 bags tomatoes.
    Total OOP at WM $5.00

Then dashed over to NF and seems like the produce dept is FINALLY listening to the complaints I have been making about their silly 50% off stickers being slapped on the reduced produce. No one was buying the stuff because they could not judge what the bag would come to. Rotting fruits and veg is not profitable for them it seems. ha ha
    I lucked out, grabbed 4 bags tomatoes @ .99 each and another 3 bags ( bigger bags ) @ $1.49 ea.
    WM reduced produce is superior by far but I wanted to do another whack of sauce up so needed more of them.
    Total OOP at NF was $8.43

I worked out the cost of all of the tomatoes and seems I got them for a mere .24 cents a lb!!
    The total yield in weight was 42 lbs, I washed and saved the absolute best firmest ones for eating ( 3 lbs ) and am going to process the remaining 39 lbs tomorrow. They are currently freezing right now! ( I wanted to try that boiling bath method for removing the skins this time, hope it works! )

This outing made my day!!
    Ah Ha! So that's where you got so many tomatoes!
    ROMEO and walkonby like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

A lot of the produce in those bags isn't necessarily produce getting close to its prime, but from the bags of produce that are sold: bags that have ripped open, etc. Rather than tossing it as they would have done in the past since no one will buy a ripped bag of potatoes or apples, for example, they are now bagging them and selling the bags for $1.

So if you're not seeing too often at the one you shop at, they may not have much of an issue with the prebagged produce getting torn or ripped open.
    ROMEO and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    A lot of the produce in those bags isn't necessarily produce getting close to its prime, but from the bags of produce that are sold: bags that have ripped open, etc. Rather than tossing it as they would have done in the past since no one will buy a ripped bag of potatoes or apples, for example, they are now bagging them and selling the bags for $1.

So if you're not seeing too often at the one you shop at, they may not have much of an issue with the prebagged produce getting torn or ripped open.
    Well there you go! That explains why the stuff looks so amazing. I had never even considered that. Thanks for that info.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

nice, glad they are no longer letting food go to waste. (love the food network show where they make amazing dishes out of reduced items.)
    walkonby likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We've only been lucky once at our WM's $1 cart. We got a bag with grapes and apples, a bag with apples and oranges I think, and a bag of corn. We saw a lady with two or three bags of just grapes, that was awesome! All the other times the cart was always empty.

I've only tried buying reduced produce at NF once. When I got home and looked at my receipt, I was charged the full, regular price for the green peppers I bought. I could have gotten a nice bag of red and yellow ones on sale. Instead I got a pack of spotty green ones, blegh. I wanted to call but I figured that the time and gas we would have spent to go back was not worth the refund we would have gotten. Plus, that particular cashier didn't ask me for my PC Plus card, so I forgot to give it and missed out on a bunch of points.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    60 (100%)

this is so helpful. my freezer is ubber full and want to make pasta sauce...
    someone told me that u cant jar pasta sauce as it can grow bacteria..hmm i make salsa all the time and i dont even use a canner, (boil sauce and hot jars) we are all alive so doing pasta sauce with this method couldt be any diff. any thoughts?
    Last edited by peachy1; Sun, Aug 16th, 2015 at 11:29 PM.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by peachy1 View Post
    this is so helpful. my freezer is ubber full and want to make pasta sauce...
    someone told me that u cant jar pasta sauce as it can grow bacteria..hmm i make salsa all the time and i dont even use a canner, (boil sauce and hot jars) we are all alive so doing pasta sauce with this method couldt be any diff. any thoughts?
    well @peachy1 , I did salsa last year and we just opened a jar last Wed. and all of us are o.k. too! ha ha
    Maybe the people meant you cannot water bath pasta sauce that has meat in it?

I watched a few YouTube videos before I tried doing salsa, this one is particular and also read some canning, preserving books for advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryPBuYTuy4k

from what I remember the foods in the jars have to be high acid content to do a water bath successfully. That is where she mentions adding lemon juice to each jar.
    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Aug 17th, 2015 at 12:12 AM. Reason: just noticed she did NOT wipe the tops of the jars before she put the lids on! BIG No NO!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ah I am also loving this reduced cart at walmart. A few weeks back it was 10 lbs of strawberries for 5.00 and this week 2 cantaloupe a bag of 5 peppers and a bag of zucchini for 3.00. Then today I got 2 bags of potatoes 4 bags of 3 different types of onions 7 bags of tomatoes (soup time!!) a bag of avacados a bag of carrots a bag of pears a bag of plums and a bag of nectarines for 18.00. It was a start the car moment.
    walkonby likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia83 View Post
    Ah I am also loving this reduced cart at walmart. A few weeks back it was 10 lbs of strawberries for 5.00 and this week 2 cantaloupe a bag of 5 peppers and a bag of zucchini for 3.00. Then today I got 2 bags of potatoes 4 bags of 3 different types of onions 7 bags of tomatoes (soup time!!) a bag of avacados a bag of carrots a bag of pears a bag of plums and a bag of nectarines for 18.00. It was a start the car moment.
    great deals was at my walmart this morning hoping to see those reduce produce but there was none . Was there about 8.30 am and left the store about 9.30 Am I too early

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Had to make another trip to walmart and FINALLY I found where the produce are for $1 There was lots got 2 bags of tomatoes, 1 bag of oranges , 1 butternut squash, 1 bag of egg plant, 1 bag of carrots, 1bag of pears and 1 bag of apples I am a happy shopper. Also the produce are very good quality
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flemeth View Post
    Had to make another trip to walmart and FINALLY I found where the produce are for $1 There was lots got 2 bags of tomatoes, 1 bag of oranges , 1 butternut squash, 1 bag of egg plant, 1 bag of carrots, 1bag of pears and 1 bag of apples I am a happy shopper. Also the produce are very good quality
    ha ha! I know! Isn't is exciting??! It can sometimes get a tad pushy/shovy if too many people are trying to grab things at the same time, but you scored!! Congrats!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Is your Walmart a supercenter?
    A great brag, our loblaws store just started putting fruit and veggies out for a dollar. You usually get 4 or 5 for that, and I'm happy when I find those. Not nearly a good deal as yours, but it's better than anything else I've seen here.
    walkonby likes this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information