• 1 Post By WearySky
  • 1 Post By tappers
  • 1 Post By WearySky
  • 1 Post By tappers

Thread: Hello! Newbie here!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hiya folks! Just a newbie here, came to introduce myself. I generally am more about tech deals than just about anything else, in particular I'm quite fond of Chinese gadgets (I review phones). So, hoping to find some great deals here and help share some great deals as well!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi there, I'm going to be in the Dominican Republic for a month in February. I'm told that the cheapest way is to buy a disposable phone with a prepaid phone card is the cheapest way to communicate on the island. Last time I went, my Iphone killed me with Roaming/international charges etc, do you have any suggestions?

I'm also a newbie on this forum, just stumbled across it. My passion is trying to save my family money in every area, particularly in the grocery area. I also manage my own investments and look for the highest yielding investments with the utmost preservation of capital.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tappers View Post
    Hi there, I'm going to be in the Dominican Republic for a month in February. I'm told that the cheapest way is to buy a disposable phone with a prepaid phone card is the cheapest way to communicate on the island. Last time I went, my Iphone killed me with Roaming/international charges etc, do you have any suggestions?
    You could also look into getting your iPhone unlocked (if it's locked to your carrier) and using that with a prepaid sim down there (or going with Roam mobility... But if you're there for a month, a local sim is probably a better option). Unlocking it will likely not cost you any more than buying a disposable phone.

Although, depending on what carrier you're with, there might be better roaming options now. Rogers, for example, has extended their "Roam like home" plan to include Mexico and the Caribbean (Dominican Republic is included)... So you can use your regular data and minutes/texts just like you would in Canada, and they charge you $10 a day I think, up to $100 max. If you're there for a month, that's actually one of the best options as you'll be paying $100, max, and you don't have to deal with other sims or unlocking or any of that nonsense, and you get to use your own phone - but again, it requires you to be with Rogers.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hey, that's a great idea, thanks for this! I use Telus, maybe they've got something similar.
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tappers View Post
    Hey, that's a great idea, thanks for this! I use Telus, maybe they've got something similar.
    They do, but I think their program is US-only at the moment (and it's $7/day vs Rogers $5/day for the US).
    dededi likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks Again!
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Welcome to SC both of you.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Welcome to the board!
    FREE PayPal $$ and Amazon Gift Cards!
    https://www.swagbucks.com/profile/tommygunn

Easy way to get Amazon Gift Cards, PayPal $$, and much more! Join MyPoints!
    https://www.mypoints.com?rb=31269562

Thread Information