User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: I'm looking to purchase a new cell phone...need advice please !

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm with Virgin Mobile (contract expired but am month to month). My plan is cheap and I want to keep it. I've had the same phone for 5 years (the one that came with my plan). I know very little about phones. I think it's time I get a new one. I want to purchase one I can use with Virgin. Samsung seems to be an option but there are so many different versions. I don't use my phone much, just a few texts here and there and taking pics. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
    This thread is currently associated with: Virgin Mobile

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

To use a phone on any provider, you need to ensure that the phone is either unlocked to work on all providers.. or if it's locked, that it's locked to your provider.

Your best bet is to visit a Virgin Mobile dealer to see which phones are available to work with Virgin, and most of all how to keep your current plan, if possible.

If you're willing to pay full price for the phone (think several hundreds of dollars -- eg ~$700 for a Samsung Galaxy S6) then you needn't worry about spoiling your month-to-month arrangement. However if the cost of a new phone is too much to bear, then you might consider re-contracting to get a phone a significant lower price.

This is where you need to speaking with a dealer to see what options are available to you, with your plan and with models of phones.

Where it's Virgin (owned by Bell) try Costco if you're a member -- or a provider-neutral retailer (e.g. Best Buy,, Wireless Wave, etc) as they often have better incentives than if you go straight to the provider.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Dec 4th, 2015 at 09:04 PM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

OP...get one that fits your needs, not one that everyone else is carrying for whatever reason.
    mulock, greeny, toronto166 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post
    OP...get one that fits your needs, not one that everyone else is carrying for whatever reason.
    I agree.....there are so many choices so instead of going to the smartphone kiosks, etc.....determine what your needs are (not your wants). For me my main need was a high resolution camera, so I ended buying getting a Sony Xperia Z2. Too many people choose the "best and newest" phone and end up using very little of the feature the phone has.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

fyi.... just released stats on Canadian carrier complaints....

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle27552583/
    greeny, dededi and Davetherave like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by beachdown View Post

Yes, that's my intention. Only problem is the choices are so overwhelming and I don't even understand half the functions these new cell phones provide. I just needed some advice.
    toronto166, dededi and Davetherave like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Microsoft has a BLU phone unlocked for $160 if you don't mind Windows phones and they have a BLU Jr on sale for $85.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I am in the same situation as you.

I am finding that I am often looking for a "hot spot" to get on the internet and check messages when I am out and about or travelling. I think that would mean either an I-phone or a Blackberry but I am not sure if an android has it's own connection.

I have a very old phone and am finding that the battery is not holding a charge very well. I use my Kindle for connecting to the internet but it is showing signs of giving up the ghost.

I have a tablet but that has no phone although it takes great pictures.

My laptop seems to be the only device that will talk to my printer wirelessly. But it is also being persnickitty.

Those might be some of the questions that you might want to ask a provider.

The other thing is memory capacity if you wish to take photos and how you can then either print them or store them.

Good luck in your search and keep us informed, if you please.
    greeny, toronto166 and Davetherave like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I am finding that I am often looking for a "hot spot" to get on the internet and check messages when I am out and about or travelling. I think that would mean either an I-phone or a Blackberry but I am not sure if an android has it's own connection.

I have a very old phone and am finding that the battery is not holding a charge very well. I use my Kindle for connecting to the internet but it is showing signs of giving up the ghost.

The other thing is memory capacity if you wish to take photos and how you can then either print them or store them.
    Thoughts....
    • nearly all phones have a hotspot feature. Warning if a tablet or laptop uses your phone's hotspot feature.... it will eat data very quickly.
    • what is the make and model of your old phone. Can you replace the battery easily?
    • there are phones that take MicroSD cards. When your pictures fill up one card, you pop in a new card and keep shooting. You can also use it to store music and videos.
    • for those considering cheap phones around the $100.... see if you can test a working model? How good is the touch screen? How good is the keyboard? I found the premium phones (eg Edge, Priv) have much better on screen sensitivity when I touch it.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Additionally, buy an unlocked phone that does what you want it to do, and take it to a certain carrier that will give you 10% off for bringing your own device.
    greeny and toronto166 like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Samsung good perf/price galaxy A5
    greeny and Davetherave like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you only do texts and calls, any phone will do. However, a good compromise is the moto g (3rd generation) - one of the best phones for $200 to $250 dollars. You can just buy it from virgin for $250 or shop around and get it for about $200, but you may have to spend $5 or $10 to "unlock" it so that it can be used on virgin's (bell) network. (You can buy a prepaid phone from any of the carriers, or an unlocked phone from places like staples.). You can get an unlocking code online, or pay a bit more and bring it to a cellphone store and they will do it for you. To save some money, you could wait for the Boxing Day sales, when the cellphone providers make one final sales push for the year.

Remember that smart phones are really just pocket computers - even if you don't have a data plan, you can use them on your home wifi network for Netflix, games, and any other apps you might like. The biggest drawback of the cheaper smart phones is limited memory, so you won't be able to save lots of apps or photos, video, etc.

You also will likely need a new SIM card from virgin - the new phones have smaller cards. Virgin should just give you one if you bring your new phone to them.
    Davetherave likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Deanst View Post
    You also will likely need a new SIM card from virgin - the new phones have smaller cards. Virgin should just give you one if you bring your new phone to them.
    All carriers will charge you for a new SIM. It doesnt seem to matter if you bought the phone from them or not... if you need a new SIM, you'll still be dinged for it. .. And the cost varies from between $10-$20 depending on the carrier.

However, some of the non-carrier specific shops (think: WirelessWave, etc) offer "SIM cutting" services that can trim your larger SIM to fit the smaller slot. While this sounds nasty, it's perfectly safe...

OR you can buy your own cutter: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S10KSTE/
    Davetherave likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    However, some of the non-carrier specific shops (think: WirelessWave, etc) offer "SIM cutting" services that can trim your larger SIM to fit the smaller slot. While this sounds nasty, it's perfectly safe...
    Thoughts....
    • In addition to SIMs being carrier specific.... newer SIMs will offer new features like LTE and NFC. SIMs from years ago pre-date these new features. When I got some of the new blackberries a few years ago, they insisted on new SIMs... not one cut.
    • You can use the smaller SIMs with older larger SIM slot phones with an adapter. However, I avoid adapters after the SIM card fell out of the holder one day. It was very challenging to remove the adapter without snagging a SIM pin.... a VERY expensive repair.
    Davetherave likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Go to Costco....those folks at the phone display stand will give you a free SIM if you ask nicely / bat an eye lid or two, or have an exotic accent

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    All carriers will charge you for a new SIM. It doesnt seem to matter if you bought the phone from them or not... if you need a new SIM, you'll still be dinged for it. .. And the cost varies from between $10-$20 depending on the carrier.

OR you can buy your own cutter: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00S10KSTE/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information