• 3 Post By ilovecats
  • 1 Post By cope
  • 5 Post By torontogal12

Thread: Issues with Coupons

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right section to post...

So lately i've been noticing that my local No Frills and Walmart cashiers aren't very accepting of coupons.

At my No Frills, I get cashiers who will only apply the coupon if the product looks exactly like the one in the image.
    So if I have a different scent of shampoo than the one pictured, they won't accept the coupon (leading to them calling over customer service manager and a long discussion- either the cashier giving in or me just not buying the product).

At Walmart I get issues of 'one coupon per purchase', and them not letting me use 2 coupons for 2 items. And from my understanding 'per purchase' means 'per item purchased'... (correct me if i'm wrong).

I always make sure the product falls under the specifications of the coupons (I used to work as a cashier at one of the big chains) before I try them but this is getting really frustrating. Sometimes it take forever for the issue to be resolved and we're standing waiting for a customer service manager while the line behind me gets longer (not to mention it gets embarassing when people behind me are giving me stares).

I was just wondering if anyone has this issue and if anyone has any solutions I can try.

Thanks,
    cope
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills, Walmart
    Last edited by cope; Sat, Jun 4th, 2016 at 08:04 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right section to post...

So lately i've been noticing that my local No Frills and Walmart cashiers aren't very accepting of coupons.

At my No Frills, I get cashiers who will only apply the coupon if the product looks exactly like the one in the image.
    So if I have a different scent of shampoo than the one pictured, they won't accept the coupon (leading to them calling over customer service manager and a long discussion- either the cashier giving in or me just not buying the product).

At Walmart I get issues of 'one coupon per purchase', and them not letting me use 2 coupons for 2 items. And from my understanding 'per purchase' means 'per item purchased'... (correct me if i'm wrong).

I always make sure the product falls under the specifications of the coupons (I used to work as a cashier at one of the big chains) before I try them but this is getting really frustrating. Sometimes it take forever for the issue to be resolved and we're standing waiting for a customer service manager while the line behind me gets longer (not to mention it gets embarassing when people behind me are giving me stares).

I was just wondering if anyone has this issue and if anyone has any solutions I can try.

Thanks,
    cope
    For Walmart Canada, print out the Coupon Guidelines shown on the Walmart Canada website and carry them with you. As well, ask them point blank where in the One Best Way training does it state what they are attempting to do (it doesn't, it states what is on the website):

http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/products/pricing

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    For Walmart Canada, print out the Coupon Guidelines shown on the Walmart Canada website and carry them with you. As well, ask them point blank where in the One Best Way training does it state what they are attempting to do (it doesn't, it states what is on the website):

http://www.walmart.ca/en/help/products/pricing
    That's a great idea, thanks!

Reading through, I noticed this:
    There is no limit to the amount of coupons per transaction however, Walmart reserves the right to limit the quantity where a customer attempts to use multiple coupons for multiple purchases of the same item.
    I suppose that means 'one coupon per purchase' is up to their discretion? =/

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I hear you. It really is hit and miss I hate being asked to wait for clarification on things when I know what I'm doing is right you can ask which cashiers know and process coupons best and go to them I know no frills need over idea after $10 which I almost always have. Be patience and kind and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    Durham Couponer, dededi and cope like this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Where do you live? If you do a Google search or a site search you might find out how others are dealing with coupon issues at your specific store.

It can be frustrating and sometimes embarrassing to be held up when you know the coupons are the correct ones. We all get the stare, the sigh, the under the breath comments by the cashier and the customers in line behind you. And my personal favorite, when they talk about you as you're walking away. I've talked to a few store managers about employee attitudes and asked companies to email clarification about coupon useage after some humiliating experiences and it's helped me develop a thicker skin. The people muttering and sighing behind me in line, who I've warned about the coupon checking time, aren't saving 20- 100% of their shopping cost with points and coupons, so it's their loss in the end. I go on an all inclusive vacation using points, they have a stay-cation. So be it.

Hmm, apparently I have some pent-up anger about this issue! I'm sorry you're having a hard time trying to save money when shopping
    redfox, Thumpersmom, ROMEO and 6 others like this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cope View Post
    That's a great idea, thanks!

Reading through, I noticed this:

I suppose that means 'one coupon per purchase' is up to their discretion? =/

Correct - I've heard of stores limiting purchases for the same item with a coupon to a maximum of 6 (some 10).

Since stores have to balance having stock between price matchers/couponers and those that don't, I don't blame some stores to limit what is being used. Plus, the flyers do have the disclaimer about being able to limit purchases.
    Last edited by ilovecats; Sun, Jun 5th, 2016 at 10:47 AM.
    ROMEO, Anna Michele and cope like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    I hear you. It really is hit and miss I hate being asked to wait for clarification on things when I know what I'm doing is right you can ask which cashiers know and process coupons best and go to them I know no frills need over idea after $10 which I almost always have. Be patience and kind and hope for the best.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    That's pretty good advice, I should just take note of the cashiers! I do notice that some of the really young teenage workers from Walmart are much less of a hassle to deal with when it comes to price matching.

Quote Originally Posted by Durham Couponer View Post
    Where do you live? If you do a Google search or a site search you might find out how others are dealing with coupon issues at your specific store.

It can be frustrating and sometimes embarrassing to be held up when you know the coupons are the correct ones. We all get the stare, the sigh, the under the breath comments by the cashier and the customers in line behind you. And my personal favorite, when they talk about you as you're walking away. I've talked to a few store managers about employee attitudes and asked companies to email clarification about coupon useage after some humiliating experiences and it's helped me develop a thicker skin. The people muttering and sighing behind me in line, who I've warned about the coupon checking time, aren't saving 20- 100% of their shopping cost with points and coupons, so it's their loss in the end. I go on an all inclusive vacation using points, they have a stay-cation. So be it.

Hmm, apparently I have some pent-up anger about this issue! I'm sorry you're having a hard time trying to save money when shopping

I live in the GTA. Sometimes I feel bad for some of the people in line behind me but I hope they realize that I do my best trying to organize coupons and price matching for the cashier. I just wish the cashiers weren't so anal about the $1 coupon their company is going to get back from the manufacturer anyways.
    I do admire your thick skin though! I get so embarassed with everything.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Some stores are just coupon haters, others are not. If this is a consistent issue draining a lot of your time, try going to other locations. I've cut out the non-coupon friendly SDMs for example, and only go to the ones who are reasonable. No need to argue with people every time because they can't or won't read properly
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Thread Information